Fireplace

Started by Trapezoid, Fri 18/04/2003 16:50:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezoid

I made this for a background in Suspico. I haven't finished it though, because it's an interior scene and I just can't seem to do interiors. :-\

Privateer Puddin'

AndersM

Very nicely drawn, but since this is the critics lounge: The fire is inside the fireplace, like a lightbulb in a lamp. The fireplace itself is then just like the lampshade. Therefore the fire should not light up the fireplace, just like the bulb doesn't light up the lampshade (if it's not made of glas or any fabric, that is.) But I might be wrong, it was a while since I acctualy saw fire in a fireplace...

Trapezoid

I dunno, I think fire makes a general enough glow to light up the outside edges of a fireplace...

Evil

its great trap. i made a little pic of where there should be less highlights from the fire. hope this helps...
http://www.geocities.com/lobsterswithlasers2/fire.JPG

Las Naranjas

I agree, all the fires I've seen in open fireplaces lit it like that.

In terms of crit, make it 320*240 :p
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Igor

Gorgeous :)
As about light- it works on this picture perfectly and that's all that matters.

danny*

this is great!! :o

Pessi

That's great, Trapezoid! Reminds me very much of Monkey Island 1 and 2's style.

I personally don't think the light from the fireplace would reach the stones on the wall of the fireplace directly. There surely would be some bounced light, but it wouldn't create quite that bright edges on the stones. NONETHELESS, as Igor pointed out, it definitely works as it is! But for the arguments sake, I think MrMasse is right.

Jimi

I'm sure once the fireplace is in a room, it'll look great! good work!

Squinky

It's great, and I think the lighting would be mostly affected by how reflective the flooring is....
Rock on trap...

Neole

Thats great work Trap! And though I agree with MrMasse, we must all remember there might be other sources of light in the room besides the fireplace, in this case most likely a reading/dining light (or candle) for the person seated beside the fireplace. That would throw a light very like what you have painted.

Trapezoid

Thanks for the thoughts.
Anyway, I really needs some tips for drawing interior scenes. And not necessarily traditional straight simple rooms, since the architecture in Suspico is all going to be somewhat slanted and strange. Not in a cartoony DOTT sort of way, but in an island-populated-by-gothic-people-who-don't-know-anything-about-architecture sort of way. :)

Here's part of my unfinished attempt in this room:

I started out with basic shapes (like on the left) and then use low opacity pencil tool to add details and shading. Then I tweak and adjust with Burn and Dodge kind of tools, but the end result just isn't very good. I'm considering expirementing with scanned drawings, I'll see how that work out. In the meantime, are there any tips anyone could give me on interior art, wood in particular?

PS, I will diminish some of the light edges on the fireplace, as suggested. I just think fire light is pretty :)

Vel

The wood texture looks really good. I'm looking forward to this one.

Hollister Man

Wow I wish I had that kind of patience and talent.  I sorely need that kind of art for my mask remake.  I am a poor artist, but a good writer and sometimes a good scripter.  I would like to see the room when it has some things in it.  What you have in the room looks more like glowing coal light than firelight.  a bright fire usually does reflect a lot, but it also casts sharp shadows.  
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

scotch

should do fire highlights on a different layer.. so you can make them flicker easy.

It's very good..

Wood tips.. hmm  You just have to paint it I think :(

look at wood in monkey island games.. that's quite good and done in an easy style to draw.

remixor

Wow...this looks fantastic  :o  One thing to point out perhaps though is that the light on the wood panels you do have completed shouldn't really be so concentrated since it's behind where the fire would be casting light.  It would be slightly lit up because the light will partially reflect around the room, but the wood will be bright like that in the parts ofthe walls that are directly affected by the fire.  Also, as Hollister mentioned, fire will cast sharper shadows.

Honestly though, I love the style.  If you finish your whole game in this style, I'd play it in a second!  Good luck  :D
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Helm

My suggestion is to use bigger brushes, with less opacity and wide strokes. What you did on rock is great, it implies the needed rock texture, and even wood would work thus, but there are surfaces you should not scribble with a 1-pixel opacity brush over.
WINTERKILL

Ben

I'd suggest lighting up the staircase a bit more. That would make it stand out more. Maybe with blue light..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk