Fireplace

Started by Trapezoid, Fri 18/04/2003 16:50:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezoid

Here's the sort-of-almost finished version. I drew the room in Flash, then copied it to PSP and detailed and shaded it, and added it to the fireplace. It looks pretty, but I'm sure it's full of flaws. I'll add furniture later.
In the game, I'll probably use a palette effect or something to make it flicker...

Neole

It looks very atmospheric!

The perspective on the steps is wrong, especially the lower steps. The lines going back should be almost horizontal, like on the topmost step. I might have added a sharper shadow on the leftmost wall and floor. I would also have added another light source like a candle near the fireplace to have the outside of the fireplace light up like that. But its a still a great image, even if no changes are made.

agsking

Wow Trap! The almost finished version is great! But one thing (I may be wrong), don't the stairs stick out into the doorway to much? I don't know, that part just looks kind of wierd to me.

Maybe you could make it curve into the doorway or somthing.

Czar

Looks really nice, but you know what would bring the atmosphere to a new level, a carpet, some book shelves, a moose head and a chair, soft for book reading :))
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Trapezoid

Yeah, I might put a carpet there... There'll be a comfy chair on which the owner of the house sits, and some stuff on the walls, and maybe a crystal ball in the corner. But that's for later. Currently I want to get the overall shading right. Also, the fireplace looks sort of pasted on... hmm

Agsking: The stairs are supposed to stick out like that. It's a small hall way, I might put a window in that area...

LGM

Trap, you need to have faith in yourself more...

Stop saying your drawings are not good.. Their fucking amazing..

You're a very talented person, so you better damn well act like it.
You. Me. Denny's.

Trapezoid

;)
I know my art's good! And that's exactly why I want to be sure I'm not screwing any fundamental aspects up, y'know? I'm well aware that I could put the picture in the game as it is and it would still be better than the game even needs, but I still want someone like Pessi to come along and rip it apart. :D The more information I collect, the easier it will be to make future artwork.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

The fireplace itself is great.

But the rest of the room is too samey. It has the same texture on the walls, the ceiling, the floor and even the stairs. It's looking too.....rendered. I think you need to vary the patterns and colours a little.

Trapezoid

Edit: Well, here's a new, possibly completed, version:

Snake

That picture makes me hard.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

remixor

If your whole game looks like that I swear to God I'll cream my pants.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Trapezoid

Is anyone else getting off on my art?

n3tgraph

ummmm there is no fire though there is fireglow..

you probably know this but still I thought I'd say it.

But furthermore I love it! Maybe a bit dark, but that's probably the style you want to create
* N3TGraph airguitars!

scotch

I think he wants animated fire, that's why it's not built into the bg :)
Nice work trap.

Neole

Only problem is, if it takes you half a month to finish a room there better not be too many rooms in your game to finish!

Trapezoid

Don't worry, all in all it probably took me just a few hours to make this. I just procrastinate a lot. I really need to get cracking on this game...
Also, yes, there will be a fire animation.
And how dark is it? It's supposed to be pretty dark, but I have a pretty bright monitor, so you may be missing out on a lot of details. Can you see the stairs, and the door to the right of the painting?

plasticman

the lighting is nice, and it would be great if you animated it.
the couch looks a bit strange to me, the right arm is lower than the left... but maybe it's intended ?

Czar

Whoa, even more cozy this time.
But yes, that right armchair( actually the right arm of the chair) is not,like, parallel(?) with the other... You know what i mean?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Trapezoid

The chair's at an angle... It's not turned directly to the side.

plasticman

thanks, mr. obvious...
this is what i mean :

you see the lines ? they should be parallel or slightly converge in the other direction. right now it looks like the right arm is "shorter" (in height) than the left, and that's what looks wrong to me (and czar).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk