World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Kweepa

Galileo?
(Guess based on reading Dava Sobel's book...)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Mandle

Quote from: Kweepa on Sun 26/11/2017 02:24:29
Galileo?
(Guess based on reading Dava Sobel's book...)

BINGO!

And my mate that loaned me that book did not warn me that reading the last page was going to make me break down crying.

I finished reading it on a crowded train here in Japan and broke out in tears to the surprise of everyone around me.

Did not expect that from a historical documentary type book.

Over to you!

Kweepa

Yes, it's a very touching book!
Will post a new one soon...

Kweepa

What eccentric and innovative film maker was involved in a landmark deep ocean exploration project, the accomplishments of which are veiled in secrecy?

Sinitrena

James Cameron? I seem to vagiely remember him exploring the Titanic when he made the film.

Kweepa

(wrong) (nothing secret there...)

Mandle

Mandle

Or was it actually James Cameron but you meant his voyage to the bottom of The Mariana Trench?

(I didn't know there were secrets about that though. If so, he probably made it that way on purpose to start conspiracy theories that he went to meet with the "aliens" from The Abyss...)

Kweepa

Captain D, Howard Hughes is correct!
It was his Glomar Explorer raising the Russian K129 sub in the Pacific. #ProjectAzorian #Jennifer

CaptainD

Hehe, I see "eccentric and innovative film maker" and immediately think of Howard Hughes! :grin:

Okay, here's a new one...

This city was mentioned in the bible, but critics dismissed its existence until archaeological discoveries in the mid 19th century.  Since then it has become one of the most famous cities in antiquity, with impressive exhibits on display at the British Museum.  It is now believed to have been the largest city in the world at one point.

Mandle

Kumpel

dayowlron

Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

CaptainD

Good guess but no. 

Hint - it was the capital of a powerful empire.  (Babylon was a good guess too btw ;)  Think slightly earlier...)

dayowlron

Only ones I can think of seem to be missing one of the qualities.
Rome - still exists.
Byzantium/Constantinople/Istanbul - still exists.
Jerusalem - still exists.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

CaptainD

Nope none of those.

Hmm maybe it's not quite as well known as I thought!

The country this city was capital of does not exist today (geographically it's now part of several different modern country).

CyberUncleCat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk