World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

The Last To Know

If you visit Germany and are interested in this story, you could visit the Hamburg Dungeon. They present the story about Klaus Störtebeker quite nicely.

CaptainD

You learn something new every day!!

Mandle

Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 30/11/2017 10:19:27
He looked up from the ground, obviously. Coordination was a bit difficult, of course, what with the legs walking in one direction and the head rolling in the other. But that's german efficency for you. He said he would do it, he got it done. (laugh)

Elementary! (laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

Kweepa

I was going to guess Das Huhn (The Chicken).
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Mandle

Sinitrena

Quote from: The Last To Know on Thu 30/11/2017 12:26:15
If you visit Germany and are interested in this story, you could visit the Hamburg Dungeon. They present the story about Klaus Störtebeker quite nicely.
Correct.
And the Hamburg Dungeon is worth a visit if you ever happen to be there.

Mandle

Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 30/11/2017 17:16:19
And the Hamburg Dungeon is worth a visit if you ever happen to be there.

I'll bet that's not the original advertising copy for the place ;)

Kweepa

Since no-one is jumping in:
How did bad weather spark the growth of a musical genre?

Baron

Global warming-induced hot-headedness has led to the rise of gangsta hip-hop ;-D

Kweepa

Hip-hop is the right genre (nod)

Mandle

I'm guessing that because of bad weather a flight was cancelled which caused either a layover during which hip-hop was created by the stranded people, or created a coincidence of certain people meeting who wouldn't have otherwise and who went on to create hip-hop?

Kweepa

That's not it...
Spoiler
(It wasn't the creation of the genre, but led to "availability" of equipment.)
[close]

Darth Mandarb

The only thing this made me think of (which I'm failing to see a connection to hip-hop) was the theory that a period of extreme winter conditions affected the trees/woods that were used to create Stadivarius violins which gives them their unique sound.

Kweepa

It's not that either.
Spoiler
It was two lightning strikes...
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
Is this something to do with Franklin's kite experiment and the subsequent use of electricity in radios?
[close]

Kumpel

Maybe the freestyle hip hop?

Mandle

I googled it because I was curious and even then it took a bit of work to find the info. There are a lot of hip hop bands/performers with "lightning" in their name to sort through, and maybe this is why?

It is indeed a very interesting story (which does sound half truth/half legend, but then a lot of history is the same).

Kweepa

I don't think anyone is going to get there without googling at this point, but just in case I'll mention the time was summer of 1977, and the place was New York...

CaptainD

Quote from: Kweepa on Mon 04/12/2017 03:01:23
I don't think anyone is going to get there without googling at this point, but just in case I'll mention the time was summer of 1977, and the place was New York...

Managed to find it with these clues.  I wouldn't have got it in a million years!

Kweepa

Well, Mandle and CaptainD have the answer:
Two lightning strikes at different power plants caused a citywide blackout, and a lot of fledgling hip-hop crews took advantage of the resulting looting to get amps, mikes and turntables. (I learned this from Netflix's 'The Get Down' :)
So, on with the game, I say!
Mandle or CaptainD, you folks choose.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk