World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Similar to the Guess the Game/Movie threads, I'd like to propose a world history thread where we can exchanges some trivia. The person that gets the answer correct asks the next question.

I'll ask the first question: What 20th Century British monarch reigned as king for less than a year?

Sinitrena

That was Edward VIII who abdicated because he wanted to marry Wallace Simpson (spelling?), a divorced woman.

Karol WojtyŠ‚a is better know as...?

Kumpel

milkanannan

Hmm a stumper right out of the gate. That's a Polish name I'm guessing?

Sinitrena

It is a Polish name.

And Kumpel is correct, Karol WojtyŠ‚a was better known as Pope (now Saint) John Paul II (or Johannes Paul II in the German spelling and pronounciation; Latin: Ioannes Paulus II).

milkanannan

Kumpel

Oh wow. That has been a blind shot :D

Which town's people have been known for multiple defenestrations that triggered huge conflicts? (please don't google defenestration :P)

Stupot

Prague?

I went to Prague in August and took a guided tour of the St. Vitis Cathedral and palace where the guy was proud to show us a window from which a number of people had been thrown.

Kumpel

Correct! Crazy prague people...

Stupot

I can't claim to be any kind of authority on world history, but here's a (easy) question:

The Bayeux Tapestry dipicts which famous historical battle?

Mandle

Andail

Don't know the answer, but surely it depicts something much older than Waterloo? I see rather primitive medieval-like pictures when I think of the Bayeux Tapestry, but out of fear of making a fool of myself I won't hazard a proper guess...

CaptainD

The Bayeux Tapestry depicts the Battle of Hastings in 1066.  (Glad someone asked one I actually know! :grin:)

Mandle

Quote from: Andail on Mon 09/10/2017 10:19:17
Don't know the answer, but surely it depicts something much older than Waterloo? I see rather primitive medieval-like pictures when I think of the Bayeux Tapestry, but out of fear of making a fool of myself I won't hazard a proper guess...

See I thought the same thing but then I thought "Well, the name sounds French so maybe it depicts a French victory, and as there are not all that many of them to pick from..."

Stupot

Well done Captain_D. It is indeed the Battle of Hastings.

CaptainD

Okay I guess I'd better post a new question then!

What document of monumental importance to the inhabitants of England was signed in 1215?

Darth Mandarb

milkanannan

Ah crap that one I could have answered!

OK Darth you're up...

Darth Mandarb

Perhaps too easy...
A recent theory suggests that this legendary ruler, who died in 1547 at the age of 55, may have suffered from type II diabetes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk