World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

No, but that's a good guess.

Darth Mandarb

I remember reading about this but I can't remember the guy's specific name.

Wasn't there some controversy about whether he actually did it?

milkanannan

Like a lot of moments in history ~ that is probable. Personally I think this guy is kind of an asshole if the story is true.

milkanannan

Hint: His Saladin poke was in the aftermath of WW1.

Baron

French general after world war one, eh?  Er.... Ferdinand Foch?

milkanannan

^Let's award that best guess. The correct answer is Henri Gouraud. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Gouraud_(general)

Your go, Baron.

Baron

All righty then.  I'm looking for a double answer: two historical personages that share the following biography.

QuoteAt 43 years of age this successful author and charismatic war vet became the head of his country's government.  He took over this roll from the ageing supreme commander of the nation's armies in a war that ended 15 years previously.  He was considered one of the great orators of his generation, although beneath the veneer of a vigorous statesman he actually suffered from ill-health and drug use.  Initiatives while in office included instigating an accelerated program of research into rocketry and outright reckless campaigns to stem the perceived threat of communism.

Stupot

Baron

Why'd you ever take that + off your name, Stupot?  Top marks for you.  Your turn.

Stupot

Sorry. Here's one.

This fictional character, originally called Edward and created in 1924, is better known by what name?

Mandle

dayowlron

I don't know when he was created but Winnie The Pooh was originally Edward Bear.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Stupot

Quote from: dayowlron on Mon 06/11/2017 01:12:13
I don't know when he was created but Winnie The Pooh was originally Edward Bear.
Ding-ding-ding. Yep. Originally he was named 'Mr. Edward Bear' after a real toy bear owned by the real Christopher Robin Milne. But when Christopher Robin renamed his toy bear Winnie after meeting a real bear by that name at London Zoo, A. A. Milne changed the name of the fictional bear accordingly.

(Not sure where the 'pooh' came from but presumably toilet roll was scarce in those days. They had to use something.)

dayowlron

Cool I will post a question soon.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

dayowlron

This should be an easy one for some people.
What Mexican General had an elaborate state funeral for his amputated leg?

Darth Mandarb

The only famous Mexican general I can think of is Santa Anna. So... Santa Anna?

dayowlron

Correct.
Mexican general Antonio López de Santa Anna held a funeral for his amputated leg.
http://historythings.com/time-santa-anna-held-funeral-amputated-leg/

Darth Mandarb

The only other famous Mexican General I could think of was Poncho Villa. So I guessed right :D

Next...
This pharaoh of the 3rd Dynasty during the Old Kingdom is known for having the Step Pyramid built as part of his funeral complex at Saqqara. His tomb's design is said to have been created by his vizier Imhotep.

CaptainD

My knowledge of Egyptian pharaohs is a little rusty so I'll go for the only name I can really remember right now, which is Ramses II.  (Clearly if there's a II there must have been a I, but since you say 3rd dynasty, I'm going with II.)

dayowlron

I am just going to throw it out there knowing it probably isnt correct, but if it is I didn't want to miss out but other than Ramses the only other one I know of is Tutankamen (sp?)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk