World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

LameNick

Exactly! The Vitruvian Man by Leonardo da Vinci  drawn around 1490, depicting human proportions according the Roman architect Vitruvius.

Your turn!
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

lorenzo

This outlaw is mostly known for leaving (two) poems at the site of his robberies.

dayowlron

I think his name was Charles Boyles (sp?) (aka Black Bart).
Wanted to create a western themed AGS game so I was reading about some of the wild west characters for some research and I remembered him cause I thought that was kind of an odd thing to do.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

lorenzo

You're right! He was Charles Boles, better known as Black Bart!
He was an odd character indeed! He robbed stagecoaches on foot because he was afraid of horses.

Did you make that western game, in the end?

dayowlron

I started it, but my graphics looked so terrible that I never completed it. I am a good coder but I can draw worth shit. lol.
Who is the only woman known to have robbed a stagecoach?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Baron

dayowlron

she did rob some banks and was an outlaw but never robbed a stagecoach.
(wrong)

lorenzo

Pearl Hart?
I think she was sent to Yuma Prison for robbing a stagecoach, but I'm not sure.

dayowlron

Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 16/11/2017 08:43:10
Pearl Hart?
I think she was sent to Yuma Prison for robbing a stagecoach, but I'm not sure.
You got it, except from what I read it was a prison in Tucson. She had cut her hair and dressed in mens clothes.

lorenzo

Ops! Wrong prison.
Quote from: dayowlron on Thu 16/11/2017 14:52:11
She had cut her hair and dressed in mens clothes.
I remember seeing a photo of her that way, I think.

Next question:
This famous orator was beheaded, then his head and hands were sent to the Emperor.

Mandle

Baron

Cicero definitely had his hands cut off, but I'm not sure about the head.  And I'm not sure about timing: was the guy in charge still Octavian the Ghoulish Gangster or Augustus the Benevolent Emperor by that point? (roll)

lorenzo

Yes, it's Marcus Tullius Cicero!

Quote from: Baron on Fri 17/11/2017 02:19:53
And I'm not sure about timing: was the guy in charge still Octavian the Ghoulish Gangster or Augustus the Benevolent Emperor by that point? (roll)
I should've been more precise, but I wrote the question in a hurry. Sorry about that. So... let's call it "artistic licence" ;)

Quote from: Baron on Fri 17/11/2017 02:19:53
Cicero definitely had his hands cut off, but I'm not sure about the head.
According to Plutarch, he was beheaded. The hands were cut too, because he used them to write the Philippics. Some even say that Antony's wife stabbed Cicero's tongue with a hairpin. :-X

From Plutarch's Parallel Lives:
Spoiler

(stolen taken from here)

Then he himself, clasping his chin with his left hand, as was his wont, looked steadfastly at his slayers, his head all squalid and unkempt, and his face wasted with anxiety, so that most of those that stood by covered their faces while Herennius was slaying him. For he stretched his neck forth from the litter and was slain, being then in his sixty-fourth year. Herennius cut off his head, by Antony's command, and his hands â€" the hands with which he wrote the Philippics. For Cicero himself entitled his speeches against Antony "Philippics," and to this day the documents are called Philippics.

When Cicero's extremities were brought to Rome, it chanced that Antony was conducting an election, but when he heard of their arrival and saw them, he cried out, "Now let our proscriptions have an end." Then he ordered the head and hands to be placed over the ships' beaks on the rostra, a sight that made the Romans shudder
[close]

Baron

This head of state swam daily in the nude in his capital city's main river.

Mandle

dayowlron

Baron

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 17/11/2017 22:18:00
Trump?

If you wear that orange paste all over yourself, are you really nude? (roll)

Trump?

No.

QuoteKim Jong-un

No.

Mandle

Baron

I'm not hiking all the way down to the river for public nudity. :P  The ice rink across the street is just fine, thank you. 8-)

His dad was also head of state, although the father was more modest in his bathing habits.

Kumpel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk