World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Intriguing guess!  But I'm afraid not the right one.

The empire this city was capital of was greatly feared for its brutality and sadistic treatment of prisoners.  Eventually it was replaced as world power by a combination of forces including the Medo-Persians and Chaldeans.

Sinitrena

Troy comes to mind for the dismissed part and discovered in the 19th century but I dont think it was mentioned in the Bible. Hm.

Kweepa

Is there a famous Byron poem that mentions the empire in the first line?
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

CaptainD

Not Troy.

I had to look up Kweepa's question and yes indeed, Byron did write a poem mentioning this mighty empire!  The title of that poem mentions the name of one of its most famous kings (who is also mentioned in the bible).

dayowlron

Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

CaptainD

Quote from: dayowlron on Mon 27/11/2017 17:34:58
must be Nineveh

We have a winner!  Well done - obviously tougher than I realised.

dayowlron

It was a tough one and I just answered that cause I know Nineveh was a large city that as far as I know doesn't "exist" in modern times.

question coming soon
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

dayowlron

Lets stick with another question that is Bible related.
What happened to 42 boys who made fun of someone that was bald?

Mandle

If it's in the Bible then I'd guess they were probably killed.

Maybe stoned to death?

CaptainD

This was... gah Elijah I think (though could have been Elisha, I get the two rather mixed up) - they got taken out by she-bears.

Don't mess with bald prophets.

dayowlron

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 28/11/2017 18:33:18
This was... gah Elijah I think (though could have been Elisha, I get the two rather mixed up) - they got taken out by she-bears.

Don't mess with bald prophets.

That is correct, they made fun of Elijah and were mauled by she-bears or bears depending on the translation you use.
2 Kings 2:23-24
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

CaptainD

Okay here's a new one, something completely different this time:

Which Welsh privateer (/buccaneer / pirate depending on your viewpoint) ended up becoming Lt. Governor of a Caribbean island.  His raids across the Spanish Main were legendary and he led several large expeditions against major Spanish ports and cities.  He also has a form of liquor named after him - or at least, heavily inspired by his legend.

dayowlron

The only Welsh privateer I know is Henry Morgan.

CaptainD

Quote from: dayowlron on Tue 28/11/2017 22:12:38
The only Welsh privateer I know is Henry Morgan.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... and ye'd be right, me hearty!

Baron

Hey, me and the Captain got together just the other day! ;-D

dayowlron

Seriously? it was the only one I knew of, but didnt know that much about his history.
I have had a few turns lately. would anyone like my turn?

Sinitrena

We had one pirate, how about another one?

This 14th century german pirate has a famous legend assosiated with him: It is said, that when he and his crew were caught, he made a deal that some of his men would go free - those he walked past after being beheaded. He walked past eleven men and only stopped when someone tripped him.

Mandle

But that's impossible...

Spoiler
How would he know what direction to walk in?!
[close]

Sinitrena

He looked up from the ground, obviously. Coordination was a bit difficult, of course, what with the legs walking in one direction and the head rolling in the other. But that's german efficency for you. He said he would do it, he got it done. (laugh)

CaptainD

This is not a legend I'm familiar with so I'm going to take a stab at the most famous of them all, Edward Teach AKA Blackbeard.

But... oh, a German pirate?!?  Ugh... don't really know any of them!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk