World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: LameNick on Tue 23/10/2018 11:00:34
Was it Tycho de Brahe?

Indeed!

A great astronomer but died before he could contribute more to the field by being too embarrassed to excuse himself during a dinner to go to the bathroom:

"Tycho suddenly contracted a bladder or kidney ailment after attending a banquet in Prague, and died eleven days later, on 24 October 1601, at the age of 54. According to Kepler's first-hand account, Tycho had refused to leave the banquet to relieve himself because it would have been a breach of etiquette. After he returned home, he was no longer able to urinate, except eventually in very small quantities and with excruciating pain."

LameNick

Who produced the great work of art called Fountain?
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

lorenzo

You mean the elegant sculpture by Marcel Duchamp?

LameNick

Yes, The sculpture by the great Marcel Duchamp, who was instrumental at the formation of Dada movement. Fountain is an object of high culture and pristine beauty radiating incense of relieving comfort.

Your turn Lorenzo.

lorenzo

I believe Duchamp was taking the piss with that sculpture.

I can't think of a question right now. Can someone take my turn, please?

milkanannan

Sure!

Name either the person who wrote the letter this excerpt is from or the person who received it:

"Swaying the wide world, I have but one aim in view, namely, to maintain a perfect governance and to fulfil the duties of the State: strange and costly objects do not interest me. If I have commanded that the tribute offerings sent by you, O King, are to be accepted, this was solely in consideration for the spirit which prompted you to dispatch them from afar. Our dynasty's majestic virtue has penetrated unto every country under Heaven, and Kings of all nations have offered their costly tribute by land and sea. As your Ambassador can see for himself, we possess all things. I set no value on objects strange or ingenious, and have no use for your country's manufactures."

Andail

Quote from: manifest class on Tue 30/10/2018 06:44:46
Sure!

Name either the person who wrote the letter this excerpt is from or the person who received it:

"Swaying the wide world, I have but one aim in view, namely, to maintain a perfect governance and to fulfil the duties of the State: strange and costly objects do not interest me. If I have commanded that the tribute offerings sent by you, O King, are to be accepted, this was solely in consideration for the spirit which prompted you to dispatch them from afar. Our dynasty's majestic virtue has penetrated unto every country under Heaven, and Kings of all nations have offered their costly tribute by land and sea. As your Ambassador can see for himself, we possess all things. I set no value on objects strange or ingenious, and have no use for your country's manufactures."

The receiver is probably a British King or Queen, but I have no idea who or when or in which context.

milkanannan

Yep, it was a British king. Can anyone get it more specifically than that...?

Jack

milkanannan

CaptainD

milkanannan

^^Yes, you got it. A letter from Qianlong, Emperor of the Qing Dynasty, to King George III discouraging attempts to trade in Chinese markets. A few decades later, the British Empire would force entry through the Opium Wars. http://academics.wellesley.edu/Polisci/wj/China/208/READINGS/qianlong.html

Your go!

CaptainD

It was just a hunch about George III, no idea who sent the letter though!  (In retrospect it was a little obvious... :-[)

Er... okay, here's one.  The majority of immigrants to the USA between 1820 and 1900 came from which two countries?

dayowlron

just a guess, China and Japan?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

the irish famine ran during the mid 1800's so I would wager ireland being one , not sure about the other, I will guess and say Italy

CaptainD

Irish is right.
The other country IS European, but not Italy.

Jack

England? Not really part of Europe. Not Italian is surprising. Dutch?

milkanannan

This has to be Ireland and England, no?

LameNick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk