Author Topic: AGS4 cleanup branch  (Read 282 times)  Share 

AGS4 cleanup branch
« on: 10 Oct 2017, 22:20 »
Note: this topic is mainly targeted to AGS source developers.

As you probably know if you've followed the recent developments, I've started a branch named AGS4 whose purpose is to clean up the codebase from the old dead code and legacy features.
This is a requisite for future development, because others, like me, have faced the despair of trying to add new stuff while keeping the old stuff from breaking.

So we should diverge, AGS 3.4.1 "Classic" will be mantained separately since it's feature complete and able to play older games, while AGS4 will be the foundation for new features and refactoring.

This is the current battle plan.

I've already cut away some nasty stuff, but much more remains.
The branch is in a working state. Note that to open projects they must be first upgraded through the latest 3.4.1. As always, be sure to make a backup of the project.

Alone I won't be able to see it to the end FOR I HATE CODING but if we can coordinate and help each other identifying and cutting away the rotting parts, it won't be too long until we can finally make the code easier to deal with.

You can find me on AGS discord if you wish to discuss, share doubts or ask questions.

- Alan

selmiak

• ǝsıɔɹǝxǝ ʞɔǝu puɐ uıɐɹq
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • I can help with web design
    •  
  • selmiak worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: AGS4 cleanup branch
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2017, 18:28 »
I am no source dev but this is great! Keep it up!

Quote from: ClickClickClick
If you kill everyone there's nobody left to punish you.

Atavismus

• Amiga Rulez!
  • Atavismus worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2017, 09:22 »
Same here.
Great initiative indeed.
I really hope several dev here could coordinate on a single project and make AGS a modern engine (but I know it's uneasy to make ppl agreed).
Good luck!

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    •  
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2017, 15:26 »
+1 (nod)

Snarky

• Local Moderator
  • Mittens Earl
  • Private Insultant
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2017, 10:15 »
Yeah, sorry to not be any help on this, but I can at least add some suggestions for stuff to clean up:

The AGS general settings pane is littered with unnecessary switches, and even a lot of them that aren't explicitly identified as backwards-compatibility options should be rooted out. I'm thinking particularly of "Automatically move the player in Walk mode", "Automatically walk to hotspots in Look mode" and "Override built-in inventory window click handling": there's no reason to provide any built-in behavior here rather than just script it in the appropriate game templates. It's just one more complicating factor when a developer has to try to figure out how the engine behaves. Similarly, the GUI visibility setting "When mouse moves to top of screen" should be eliminated. All this stuff is legacy from when AGS was an engine squarely focused on making games in the  Sierra SCI style, and it is superseded by newer, more general functionality.