how do i change to a 1 cursor game?

Started by idkman, Fri 20/10/2017 00:10:26

Previous topic - Next topic

idkman

just wanted to know if you can make the whole game have 1 cursor that does all the interactions such as look at, talk ,interact and walk.

Khris

Can you elaborate?
Is the game only going to have one type of interaction for every hotspot? As in, you cannot look at things you can interact with?
Or are you looking for an "automatic" cursor like in the Broken Sword games?

Slasher

If you mean only 1 cursor mouse graphic than that is easy: Just give all the mouse modes the same graphic. I tend to use a  cross hair style graphic with a different color for each mouse mode to make it easy to distinguish between each mode.

m0ds

sure you can. a rudementary way would be to put SetCursorMode(eModeInteract) in each rooms rep ex, or removing the "on right click" part of the mouse code in the global script, so that they can never cycle the cursor (and remove gui elements that change cursor). Then in your rooms you only need to fill out the "interact" segment of each hotspot etc, as the mouse is always locked into Interact (or you could use Look At etc) mode. You could probably also do something with the "on left click" in the mouse part of global script if you really wanted to. That's where you might define whether the mouse should be walking, talking, interacting or looking - ie if left click detects a hotspot it would do one thing, if it doesn't, it would revert to walking. using globalints you could have a hotspot be "looked at" on its first click and interacted with thereafter. but the main answer is yes, it's possible. though I'm not sure how you'd seperate looking/interacting/talking to one object with one cursor mode, other than what I suggested where it does each one in a row one after the other. Someone else probably has a cleaner way to do it than rep_exec-ing the cursor mode ;)

I also spotted this from lamplight city news "Single click interface with no inventory. Gather clues and documents in your casebook for review. Item manipulation is handled via a context-sensitive cursor." which perhaps suggests something similar.

Khris

The recommended (by me) way is to disable all cursor modes except eModeInteract in the editor, and handle a click on GetLocationType() == eLocationNothing as eModeWalkto click.

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 20/10/2017 04:27:32
If you mean only 1 cursor mouse graphic than that is easy: Just give all the mouse modes the same graphic. I tend to use a  cross hair style graphic with a different color for each mouse mode to make it easy to distinguish between each mode.
I once played a game that did this; I can't remember a game where I Alt-Xed and deleted the folder as fast. It's a completely mystery to me how that interface survived the entire development process given that it is the most horrible interface of all possible interfaces, short of one where you have to type "up one pixel" to move the mouse.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk