Can we include content / use modular resource files?

Started by Aviva, Fri 20/10/2017 06:51:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Aviva

Hey people!

I am trying to create a modular resource system to easily implement resources through seperate files. Is there a way to code an “include” function of sort so that the game will read stored data from the specified file. A bit like how you construct classes. Any ideas on how I can approach this?

Thanks in advance.
Working on "Drained", a distopian RPG

Khris

What resources are we talking about exactly?
AGS can read arbitrary files while the game is running, and it has a built-in way to create DynamicSprites from pcx or bmp images. But whether any of that is feasible greatly depends on the resource type.

And of course there's the module system, which basically means you can have functions like game_start or repeatedly_execute in a separate script. These scripts can be exported and imported, but only during design time, not during runtime.

Aviva

Well, I basically want to load files / scripts during runtime. I guess that's not possible then. It would be great if we could have a plugins module so we can store content seperately at will and choose during runtime what we want to load.

Khris

Aviva

Thank you Khris! You once again saved my day :) I might not be the best in explaining what I want in English, as it isn't my first language. The RunAGSGame command does seem to do the job for what I want to do with my testing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk