BACKGROUND BLITZ: Gothic architecture (RESULTS)

Started by Blondbraid, Sat 21/10/2017 23:34:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

I'm sorry for the delay with a new background blitz, and I hope you will like the theme I picked. Since Halloween is coming up, I thought it would be fun to pick a theme that lends itself to horror and ghost stories,
and I think the Gothic style does that very well by being so closely linked to medieval castles, old churches, catacombs and mausoleums in addition to featuring heavily as background settings for many horror classics.

The background can depict anything from a majestic cathedral, a gloomy crypt, the silhouette of a castle in the distance or something else entirely, as long as it incorporate some form of Gothic design elements.
For those unfamiliar with this style, the by far most recognizable and common trait is the pointed vaults and archways, and Gothic buildings are dominated by triangular shapes pointing upward.
Other common design elements include gargoyles, crenellations, lattice windows, spires and tall towers.

Voting will be in the following categories:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clear walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: what's the feeling of the place? Does the image convey the wanted atmosphere?

Deadline is November 4th.

Stupot

Ooh. I have a few days off coming up and need a project, so I'll try and do something for this.

lorenzo

Nice theme, gothic architecture tends to be quite demanding to draw (so many details!).

Kini

Fun theme. I look forward to putting something together.

DBoyWheeler

"Isn't it a little early to be talking about gothic architecture?"

(Kudos to anyone who knows which video game I quoted.)

Anyway, good luck to all here.

Danvzare

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Mon 23/10/2017 00:40:46
"Isn't it a little early to be talking about gothic architecture?"

(Kudos to anyone who knows which video game I quoted.)

Anyway, good luck to all here.
Conker's Bad Fur Day! :-D

Back on topic though, I look forward to seeing everyone's entries.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 23/10/2017 12:07:20
Conker's Bad Fur Day! :-D

We have a winner!

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 23/10/2017 12:07:20
Back on topic though, I look forward to seeing everyone's entries.

I look forward to that too!

Kini

I really wanted to take part in this, but I've been really tied up recently and haven't managed to get any further than doing a bit of research. Given that no one's submitted an entry yet, is there any chance of an extension?

Blondbraid

Quote from: esufmp on Fri 03/11/2017 16:46:22
I really wanted to take part in this, but I've been really tied up recently and haven't managed to get any further than doing a bit of research. Given that no one's submitted an entry yet, is there any chance of an extension?
Of course, seeing as there is no entries at all yet, I hereby extend this Background Blitz by a week so anyone wanting to join can have time to do so.

lorenzo

Here's my entry, I'm not sure if it's Gothic enough:

It could use some polish. I wanted to add more decorations and work some more on the colours.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to do so in the next days, so I'll leave it as it is.

selmiak

just to get things rolling again I'll post my latest 3D render project here... Cassie said it is goth enough :)

[imgzoom]https://78.media.tumblr.com/ecf5282aece949a75612edba824a7f2e/tumblr_ozq80uEEnF1vsdzcbo1_1280.jpg[/imgzoom]

Blondbraid

It's a beautiful entry and it does have those typical Gothic archways.
Is anyone else still planning to enter or is it time to start the vote?

selmiak

is the entry even eligible when I started it before the contest? I didn't enter another contest with the image though...

Blondbraid

I think it's ok in this case, besides, there would be no vote if there was only one entry. Lorenzos BG is great too, but I don't think lack of competition is fun.

Danvzare

Whoa, that has got to be by far the best 3D render I've ever seen on this forum. 8-0

Rocchinator

Here is my entry

A GATE TO THE INFRAWORLD (STEPS)

Blondbraid

Lovely entries all in all, and since the original deadline is long overdue, I hope you are ready to start voting!

You will vote on the following categories:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clear walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: what's the feeling of the place? Does the image convey the wanted atmosphere?

The vote ends at November 30th.

Rocchinator

Concept: lorenzo  love the idea of a venice gothic atmosphere
Playability: selmiak Seems like ready to play background-
Artistic Execution: lorenzo Love the style of your drawings.

Cassiebsg

Concept: lorenzo
Playability: selmiak
Artistic Execution: selmiak
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Riaise

Concept: Rocchinator
Playability: selmiak
Artistic Execution: lorenzo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk