Stranger Things 2

Started by dactylopus, Sat 28/10/2017 04:50:01

Previous topic - Next topic

dactylopus

I just finished watching Stranger Things 2, and thought it would be nice to start a topic to discuss the season.

I loved it.  I thought it was fantastic.  It kept the spirit of the original and amped it up.  There were so many moments that fit every feeling.  Tense, badass, hopeful, laugh out loud, sorrowful, etc, it was all there.

Such a perfect viewing to kick off Halloween weekend.  Binge watched while finishing off my costume.

So anyways, it was great.  It gave me all I could have wanted.

What did you think?

m0ds

Yes a good season! Some gripping moments. Some sillyness.. and the addition of alasdair beckett-king to the "party" was fine!

(even if I agree plot-wise it served very little purpose, but I suppose with 11 elsewhere the entire season it made sense to have a female dynamic with the party, if nothing else for the series to cover its backside - otherwise there'd be gender extremists on the rampage. I got into it and her bro side-story, definitely, relevant to plot or not!)

Seemed to be less loose ends or plot holes than season 1 but still a couple of glaring moments, I can't remember precisely but something about

Spoiler
all the demi-dogs at the scrap yard and then flocking back to the lab seemed a bit off. perhaps because there was only 1 for 7 episodes and then in the space of 1 minute there are hundreds of them, all outside, but were never anywhere else beforehand (ie roaming in other people's bins, the tunnels or forests etc). I found myself "err, really?" at that part, though I think that's just part of the package (and there were less of those for me in this series than the first). And it's perhaps something a second watch might resolve for me. I mean, the gate itself literally gets 2 mins of screen-time over the entire season so it's not so easy to understand exactly what's going on with it, in terms of regurgitating demi-dogs outside of it.
[close]

But, the occasional discrepancy aside, I would say it was just as fulfilling as the first season and well worth watching. Great use of Samwise too!

Spoiler
and I kinda hoped he would've stuck around...
[close]

Very good entertainment. (nod)

SilverSpook

Mrs. Silverspook and I are about halfway through this and are loving it to death! :D

Loslem

After season 1 endet, I thought "Whew, if it ended right here, I'd still be satisfied." And then I wondered what Season 2 could bring. And I must say, it really topped season 1. It expanded the characters in logical ways (Steve for the win!), it expanded the story. It just was written good.
I loved it. Also I liked the little hints and nods to Stephen King or the goonies :)

So yes, good times for seriesjunkies :)

MiteWiseacreLives!

Watched it!
Good stuff, did anyone else get that the Alasdair's  (laugh) brother was some kind of foreshadowing? Like behind one mondster (the bully) is a larger monster (abusive dad).. so behind the shadow monster???

AnasAbdin

Happy Stranger Things day :P

Ali

I liked it, and I'm glad you enjoyed my performance as a small girl.

I did feel like the dramatic tension was sort of spent by the final episode, though. It sort of felt like a neat wrapping up of threads, rather than the resolution of a perilous situation.

m0ds

QuoteLike behind one mondster (the bully) is a larger monster (abusive dad)..

That's a good observation... because that scene seemed sort of unnecessary. Or maybe not unecessary but... well not sure how to describe it. It was a 2 min scene of characterization right toward the end of the season. It almost seemed out of place. But I think you might be onto something... cos that does give it a more legitimate reason to have been included.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: MJL on Wed 15/11/2017 18:02:42
QuoteLike behind one mondster (the bully) is a larger monster (abusive dad)..

That's a good observation... because that scene seemed sort of unnecessary. Or maybe not unecessary but... well not sure how to describe it. It was a 2 min scene of characterization right toward the end of the season. It almost seemed out of place. But I think you might be onto something... cos that does give it a more legitimate reason to have been included.
Hey, you know, seemingly unnecessary stand-outs make art

Stupot

I've just finished binging both seasons (only just got Netflix) and it's a hell of a ride. By the end of it I was weeping with all sorts of emotions. The scene with Eleven and Hopper closing the gate was such perfect, intense TV. Millie Bobbie Brown is amazing (check out Intuders if you haven't already. She was blowing me away with her acting skills way before Stranger Things).

One thing doesn't sit right with me though. In season 1 I understood the need for secrecy and why only a handful of people outside of Hawkins' Lab know about any of it. I even get how it's mainly this group of kids who know anything about any of it (they were looking for their friend and harbouring an escaped girl). But by the end of Season 2, we've got demo-dogs running around the whole town. Sound the alarm! E-fucking-vacuate!!! I mean these demo-dogs were physically trying to attack the few characters who happened to be on our screen. Why did the rest of the unseen townsfolk manage to sleep soundly?

Cinematically, they really went up a few notches for season 2. If they want to level up even further for season 3, it pretty much has to be a full on monster-movie type deal with the shadow-monster as a Cloverfield type thing causing destruction. This will involve waking up some more residents.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk