Which style for the night time?

Started by Mouth for war, Tue 31/10/2017 00:48:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Hey y'all!

I can't decide which style to choose and I would like to see what everyone thinks before I get too far. It's not that hard to change I guess but when there's a lot of images to change it becomes a chore :D

This one seems really pleasant to me but it's good to know what everyone else thinks

And here's the standard version

Ok and just for fun. Here's the pixel version for all old schoolers. I'm not gonna go with that style but I just felt like making a pixel version as well :D

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Click'd

I'd go with the first. Isn't the bright spot on the ground a bit too bright for nighttime, though?

Danvzare

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Tue 31/10/2017 01:04:06
I'd go with the first. Isn't the bright spot on the ground a bit too bright for nighttime, though?
+1 The first looks the best.
There's too much contrast in the second one, and the third one is too blurry to make out any of the details.

Cassiebsg

I find both pleasant, I like a bit more contrast than the others though. But both work fine for me, really. (nod)

As for the ground, I agree, it's too bright. Unless it's water or a highly reflective surface (not something we would expect from grass/dirt ground though).
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Babar

I'd also say the first one looks better, aside from the glowy windows, I don't think those work, and since you're not using AGS, and probably using some 3D engine(?) the lighting issue that would exist with characters in the scene aren't there.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Gurok

I think the third has the best colouring. I'd go with that, but at high resolution, no window glow.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mouth for war

dactylopus

I like the contrast of the 2nd, but the lighting of the 1st (windows).

InCreator

I like the pixel version :D but It's a waste to use it since your high-res is so detailed.

I'd say go with contrast on the first image, make ground a bit darker, reduce bloom on windows a bit and make windows cast some light on the ground for realism

milkanannan

I thought I liked the sharpness of the second more, but given some thought the first seems a bit more whole to me, so I'll go with that. Cool artwork nonetheless. Really wondering what sinister or completely benign activities go on within the glow of that hut!

Mouth for war

Thanks! Haha actually there's a nice guy inside the house. A hermit who helps you after you've been shot by a fellow treasure hunter who leaves you to die on the beach!

disgustindustin

If you already have access to bloom effects, I'd use it. So: 1st one. Otherwise: The house could use more asymmetry, that one bush doesn't quite cut it. Some suggestions:
-Allow the lower part of the windows to curve naturally with the round house
-Do the same with the staircase as well, and add perspective by changing the length of the planks (top(farthest) shortest, lower (closest) longest).

I do prefer the pixel version though :wink:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk