MAGS November "Contest" (RESULTS)

Started by MAGS Host, Wed 01/11/2017 00:07:20

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS November?

The Gourmet by Slasher
1 (7.1%)
Trivial Pass You It by Mandle
0 (0%)
Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed
11 (78.6%)
Stable Pete and the Joust by Cassiebsg
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Fri 15/12/2017 00:14:21

MAGS Host

The voting is over and the winner of MAGS November (by an impressive margin) is:

Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed.

Well done guys. You'll be contacted soon about choosing a theme for January.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

The Gourmet by Slasher
Trivial Pass You It by Mandle
Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard & Jim Reed
Stable Pete and the Joust by Cassiebsg

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please use the poll above for voting.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: December 14th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Contest
This month's guidelines were set by Riaise.

This month your game must be based around some kind of contest or competition. Whether an Olympic sprinter about to run their final race, a child attending their first spelling bee, or a baking competition at a country fair, the contest must be central to the story. And remember, it's not the winning, it's the taking part that counts! :-D

Ending: November 30th

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Slasher

Something I remember from the radio (made in the 50's) gives me a swell idea for a contest (laugh)

"Now, if we take he's four back teeth out and his tonsils..." (laugh)

Mandle

Wow, nice theme. I can see this getting quite meta:

Someone make a game about making the game they are making!

Riaise

I'm glad the theme is inspiring some ideas! :-D I did wonder if it might be a bit too vague, and that people might be put off because there's nothing specific to work with, but hopefully that won't be the case and we'll get lots of different interpretations. :)

DBoyWheeler

Kinda like the Rites of Rulership in Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire.

Or the competitions Larry goes through in Leisure Suit Larry 7.

Either way, it will be very interesting how this MAGS will pan out.

Slasher

Well, I have the theme, characters and the story.

I am paying homage to one of the great comedians of 50's radio.

I have taken my favourite episode and tweaked it a bit and so far so good...

For those that love 50's comedy radio shows you should appreciate it...

If you haven't you should (nod)

It has me rolling on the floor...

It's called 'The Gourmet'

Scene 1: The restaurant (Done)
Scene 2: The extraction (in production)
Scene 3: The contest
Scene 4: The finale

Win or Lose...it's up to you..

Who am I talking about?

Spoiler

"You're all raving mad!"...     "He tucks into the 6lbs of Bolognese with 2000 yards of spaghetti to suck up."....
[close]

Cassiebsg

I got and idea, so if I can code it I'll do an entry. (nod)
And will challenge myself by coding the game first and do making the graphics last. (laugh)(roll)

I reserve the right to abuse Mandle's proofreading powers! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

KyriakosCH

Sounds nice :)

I am not sure if the game i am making could fit the contest theme, and i am wondering if you guys are way too unforgiving with a bit more dubious entries to the contest := I mean, there is a good chance the game will be finished before the end of November, and given it is my first game i would love some feedback :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Cassiebsg

Please read the rules!

• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.

KyriakosCH

Ok, i suppose i won't be taking part then.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 02/11/2017 18:04:11
I reserve the right to abuse Mandle's proofreading powers! (nod)

You're welcome to abuse me anytime Cassie ;)

HanaIndiana

oh I have a fun idea! Hmm... but no promises just yet. (laugh)

Riaise

It's good to see that there are some potential entries on the way! ;-D

Crimson Wizard

Hey, I decided to actually try making a game, but since I am currently too tired to invent clever story and puzzles, I decided to focus on scripting and make a non-adventure game. :)

Also looking for artist, even made recruitment post (hopefully this is allowed, I have not participated in MAGS for many years).

...now, will keep hopes that I won't get too busy with something this month...

Slasher

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 03/11/2017 22:41:19
Hey, I decided to actually try making a game, but since I am currently too tired to invent clever story and puzzles, I decided to focus on scripting and make a non-adventure game. :)
Now we are in deep trouble (laugh)

Meanwhile:
Scene 2: The extraction (Done)
Scene 3: The contest (in production)
Scene 4: The finale

Cassiebsg

Hope you find someone to the art CW. (nod) I would offer, but you want a 2D artist and I only do 3D models (or stop motion with photos ;)... besides I plan to enter the contest too, sooooo...

But if anything fails, just use the graphics from one or several of the templates. ;)

Damn Slasher, I haven't even started yet and you already have 2 scenes finished.... 8-0

Slasher

Update:
Scene 3: The contest (3/4 Done)
Scene 4: The finale (1/2 Done)

I'm sorry but I can't stop giggling every time I play... I must have a madcap sense of humor (laugh)

Slasher

Update:
Scene 3: The contest (Done)
Scene 4: The finale (Done)

Time now to tweak and test....(nod)

Slasher

The Gourmet
A cultural experience of an adapted 50's comedy radio show: Being tested

Background:
Those that remember Hancock's Half Hour will understand the comedic content. The series was written by the great duo Galton and Simpson between 1954 and 1961.
The show started off on radio and it is this period that I chose to pay homage to the show.
The episode I chose was called 'The Gourmet' and as far as I am aware it was never made for television.
The script for this game has been adapted and amended to suit the game idiom.

This is more of a cultural experience than a game although there are a few interactive elements along the way like choosing items from a menu.

Characters:
There are three central Characters:
* Tony
* Sid
* Bill

Tony is a short, stout man who owns a terraced house in Cheam. He is a bachelor and lives alone. He has a lower than average intellect but fantasizes that he has a much higher intellect and believes he knows about things more than others. He believes he knows about Kipling, Byron, Shakespeare, Dickens and about all the famous artists when in fact he knows very little apart from what he's read in Reader's Digest. He has very few friends as they can see right through him. This never stops him trying to impress people. He often lodges out rooms to people so he can 'educate' them in the finer points of food, art and literature.

Sid is a street wise man who has been around the block a few times. He is a wheeler and dealer and is often involved in petty crimes though nothing major. He lodges with Tony as the rent is cheap and he can often wrap Tony around his finger. He often gets Tony involved in his schemes which generally fail much to Tony's bemusement.

Bill is an Australian and is a 'Tag along' man who has very few friends and often tags along with who ever he can. Ever since he met Sid in a boozer he has tagged along with him. He often falls in with Sid's schemes. He also lodges with Tony from time to time. Tony hates Bill calling him 'Tubs' which he does every time.

Story Line: Sid meets a man in a pub who is a promoter of eating contests. Sid's mind immediately draws to Tony who loves food and says he is a gourmet. Always looking for a quick buck Sid talks Tony into entering the eating contest. Enter Steam-Shovel Tony!

Scenes:
* The Restaurant
* The Extraction
* The Contest
* The Finale

Specs:
320 x 200
32 bit color
D3d 9
Expected release: by Nov 20th

bon appetit (laugh)

KyriakosCH

Hm... I doubt i can create anything (the deadline is end of November?) but if there is no issue with the game being very brief, i might try, either now or (far more likely) in some future MAGS.
Currently i am busy enough with finishing the Chrysalis game (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk