MAGS November "Contest" (RESULTS)

Started by MAGS Host, Wed 01/11/2017 00:07:20

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS November?

The Gourmet by Slasher
1 (7.1%)
Trivial Pass You It by Mandle
0 (0%)
Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed
11 (78.6%)
Stable Pete and the Joust by Cassiebsg
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Fri 15/12/2017 00:14:21

Slasher

Sorry to hear that you will not be entering this months MAG KyriakosCH.

I do hope others will enter and I await to see their entry (nod)

Eat, drink and be merry (laugh)

Mandle

Slasher, your screenshot reminds me strangely of the first visit to the world of the living in Grim Fandango...

Slasher

Nothing like it (laugh)

All my own work if I may add...

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 07/11/2017 15:06:26

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest you copied that scene. I just found that it reminded me of it.

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 07/11/2017 23:12:21
Quote from: Slasher on Tue 07/11/2017 15:06:26

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest you copied that scene. I just found that it reminded me of it.
Just pulling your leg (laugh)

All on course for a smooth takeoff (nod)

HanaIndiana

Damn that was quick Slasher! :shocked:
Planning out my initial idea, there is no way I'd be able to finish it. :~(
<sigh> I was going with more of a puzzle/non-adventure type game too. If I can think of a way to simplify it, without losing the fun, I might still go for it.

Cassiebsg

One room/mini-game out of 3 coded! (nod)
If anything else fails, the "game" now fits the theme and is an actual game (not very pretty though, as I'm using the most basic of temp art). (roll)(laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 08/11/2017 22:07:54
(not very pretty though, as I'm using the most basic of temp art). (roll)(laugh)

You have temp art?! I don't even have that, and probably won't have any.

At the moment just white text on black background.

This one's more of a proof-of-concept kinda gig at the moment.

Slasher

The Gourmet
A cultural experience of an adapted 50's comedy radio show.
Download The Gourmet

Background:
Those that remember Hancock's Half Hour will understand the comedic content. The series was written by the great duo Galton and Simpson between 1954 and 1961.
The show started off on radio and it is this period that I chose to pay homage to the show.
The episode I chose was called 'The Gourmet' and as far as I am aware it was never made for television.
The script for this game has been adapted and amended to suit the game idiom.

This is more of a cultural experience than a game although there are a few interactive elements along the way like choosing items from a menu. Put the dog out, draw the curtains, Sit back, relax and indulge in pure comedy genius...

Characters:
There are three central Characters:
* Tony
* Sid
* Bill

Tony is a short, stout man who owns a terraced house in Cheam. He is a bachelor and lives alone. He has a lower than average intellect but fantasizes that he has a much higher intellect and believes he knows about things more than others. He believes he knows about Kipling, Byron, Shakespeare, Dickens and about all the famous artists when in fact he knows very little apart from what he's read in Reader's Digest. He has very few friends as they can see right through him. This never stops him trying to impress people. He often lodges out rooms to people so he can 'educate' them in the finer points of food, art and literature.

Sid is a street wise man who has been around the block a few times. He is a wheeler and dealer and is often involved in petty crimes though nothing major. He lodges with Tony as the rent is cheap and he can often wrap Tony around his finger. He often gets Tony involved in his schemes which generally fail much to Tony's bemusement.

Bill is an Australian and is a 'Tag along' man who has very few friends and often tags along with who ever he can. Ever since he met Sid in a boozer he has tagged along with him. He often falls in with Sid's schemes. He also lodges with Tony from time to time. Tony hates Bill calling him 'Tubs' which he does every time.

Story Line: Sid meets a man in a pub who is a promoter of eating contests. Sid's mind immediately draws to Tony who loves food and says he is a gourmet. Always looking for a quick buck Sid talks Tony into entering the eating contest. Enter Steam-Shovel Tony!

Scenes:
* The Restaurant
* The Extraction
* The Contest
* The Finale

Specs:
320 x 200
32 bit color
D3d 9

bon appetit (laugh)

Download The Gourmet

KyriakosCH

Hm, actually I may try something. I will have to create some stuff in Blender for it, but I may just make it in time :)

Characters will be the hardest part :/ :)

Is there any limit to number of rooms? (i mean if there should be more than x)

If there is no limit then i can probably do it. Eg here is the humble beginnings of modeling one of the rooms :D

edit:

and something which may pass for a chair!

edit2:

Which, multiplied, should provide more than enough room for the people wishing to take part in the contest :=

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Slasher

You can use as many rooms as you like...

Riaise

Looking good, KyriakosCH! I'm glad you decided to give it a go after all! Yeah, there's no limitations this month, other than the "contest" theme itself. :)

Great work, Slasher! Now you can sit back and relax for the rest of the month! :-D

KyriakosCH

Well... nobody expected a full-pendentive arched entrance to the main part of the station where the contest takes place. But if you are a new, foreign-interest channel, out to attract players fast, you have to improvise and be flamboyant :=

Btw, pendentives rule. 8-)

KyriakosCH

Textures aren't final. I suppose I can just create the rest of the stuff in secret? :D

Btw, do we have until the 30th of November to upload the game?

Riaise

Yes, the deadline is the 30th, although Stupot can sometimes give an extension of a few days if needed. :)

KyriakosCH

Ok...

Managed to have some stiffs (the humans there are just that; you can just turn them by degree, and now I will have to carve them into facets and model limb movements etc, which is going to be very difficult given I suck at unit making :D ) and I have thought of the full storyline as well. Notice the two flags; it is going to be about german help to Greece as well (fantasy german tv channel setting up here and organizing a contest := ).

I think that about does it with the screenshots in the thread. I am not sure if I will finish this on time, but I will try - I cannot rely on contests for money, so I have to finish translating some stuff to get paid...

Funkpanzer

I didn't want to post until this was actually a "game" and not just a bunch of whirling numbers but things seem to be going a bit slower than expected. I'm making a road-race game where you keep an eye obstacles, fuel, and exhaustion. So far the base for the driving mechanic and fatigue are in place and I finally got the road to move by the player without tearing!

I'm mainly using trial and error to get AGS to do what I want so no promises! Still no clue how competitor AI is going to work. :-D

Riaise

Nice idea, Funkpanzer! I hope you get it finished by the deadline!  :)

So, we've got one entry finished and several more on the way! I'm glad this theme has inspired so many of you to work on a game! ;-D

Slasher

Funkpanzer: I do hope you manage to pull it off (nod)

What a swell party this is so far (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk