MAGS November "Contest" (RESULTS)

Started by MAGS Host, Wed 01/11/2017 00:07:20

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS November?

The Gourmet by Slasher
1 (7.1%)
Trivial Pass You It by Mandle
0 (0%)
Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed
11 (78.6%)
Stable Pete and the Joust by Cassiebsg
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Fri 15/12/2017 00:14:21

Cassiebsg

Decided it was time to make my character. :-D

Meet Pete (he's still mirrored, so ignore the double knot on the belt):
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

HanaIndiana

I like that little car art Funkpanzer

Mandle

I'm in!

My game is a trivia contest sharable between players.

I almost have it coded correctly but not quite so here is a screenie of the current build:

At the moment the game is all about AGS trivia but I hope to expand it into a platform that anyone can create their own trivia contest on and pass it on to others.

Hence the working title of "Trivia Pass You It" :-X

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 15/11/2017 15:14:32
I'm in!

My game is a trivia contest sharable between players.

I almost have it coded correctly but not quite so here is a screenie of the current build:

Spoiler
[close]

At the moment the game is all about AGS trivia but I hope to expand it into a platform that anyone can create their own trivia contest on and pass it on to others.

Hence the working title of "Trivia Pass You It" :-X

So it's almost kind of like You Don't Know Jack, AGS Edition.  Almost.

Anyway, rather interesting take,  Mandle.

Funkpanzer

I just spent the last few days figuring out how scoreboards work and have so much more respect for racing game devs. :~(

Up next is collision-detection (again...) and getting competitors to go around one another... oh, and figuring out why point-of-interest locations seem to be influenced by player acceleration rather than distance... ???

Cassiebsg

You probably already noticed, but just in case you haven't.... please add outline to that font! (nod) :-D

Riaise

It's good to see that everyone is making progress! I hope Crimson Wizard is still working on an entry. :)

Also, Mandle, I think you need to add a "none of the above" option, given that I am, in fact, the Vampire Lestat. :P

Cassiebsg

LOL (laugh)

And a sneak preview of my master piece BG:
Spoiler

Ah! Made you look! (laugh)
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Wed 15/11/2017 20:01:22
Also, Mandle, I think you need to add a "none of the above" option, given that I am, in fact, the Vampire Lestat. :P

(laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

Also: Funkpanzer can we get a compilation shot of all the in-race car graphics to drool over or are some locked secrets?

Mandle

By the way... I knew how to do this before but have forgotten:

How do I get AGS to save games to a folder in the game folder instead of to a folder in My Docuements?

I know it's a simple thing to do but... help!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 16/11/2017 16:05:15
How do I get AGS to save games to a folder in the game folder instead of to a folder in My Docuements?
This can be now done only through game setup.
If you are using latest AGS 3.4.1, then there is the Default Setup pane, where you can set "Use custom game save path" option.
For AGS 3.4.0 you would need to do that on advanced tab in winsetup, but also copy acsetup.cfg from My Documents to Compiled folder when you're done, or these changes will stay in your personal settings (in my documents).

Funkpanzer

I've only had time to make the base car models so expect some very non-aerodynamic additions to some of the competitor cars. :D

Especially Hemo's Murder Machine...

Mandle

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 16/11/2017 17:05:09
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 16/11/2017 16:05:15
This can be now done only through game setup.
If you are using latest AGS 3.4.1, then there is the Default Setup pane, where you can set "Use custom game save path" option.
For AGS 3.4.0 you would need to do that on advanced tab in winsetup, but also copy acsetup.cfg from My Documents to Compiled folder when you're done, or these changes will stay in your personal settings (in my documents).

Ahhhhh...that's it!

Thanks so much CW!

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Thu 16/11/2017 21:33:19

I've only had time to make the base car models so expect some very non-aerodynamic additions to some of the competitor cars. :D

Especially Hemo's Murder Machine...

DROOOOOOOOOOL!!! (Not that I'm a car-nut, just a pixel-nut...)

Cassiebsg

Moving forward, I now have a re-designed GUI, and almost all inventory items... if I'm lucky I'll do the last one after dinner... if not, tomorrow. (laugh)

And a in game screen-grab. :-D
Spoiler

[close]

EDIT:

Started working on my game BG (still WIP): :-D
Spoiler

Also made a low-poly horse. (nod) Find him! ;)
[close]

Mandle

I've compiled a test version of my game so far that I will download on a remote computer and test.

If it works as expected I will most likely release it as my entry even though the interface is quite a bit flawed.

I've saved way too many example questions in the current build to want to go back and start again if any changes made in the editor break the save game.

But, with a bit of following instructions, anyone should be able to use the current build to either play the trivia game so far, or add their own questions to it, or create their own completely original set of trivia questions based on any theme.

It's mainly an experiment for future projects and a study for myself into how user input could be used to change gameplay in constructive ways and evolve simple games into more complex ones.

Hopefully it works on any computer... Testing tomorrow...

Crimson Wizard

There may be a game from me and Jim Reed (art + tech ideas), eventually.

I can frankly admit that lost capability of working under time pressure, and if not for Jim and him keeping pushing me, I would give up somewhere in the middle of the month.

Had to significantly simplify original concept to be able to make it in time. :-X . Opponent AI is to blame...

Hopefully the game will be at least playable. Even if not, I still keep hopes to make a more complete game later, because the code and art have good potential.

A small teaser:
Spoiler

[close]

Slasher

Things are really hotting up around here..

Burning rubber (laugh)

We have some great entries (nod)

KyriakosCH

In the end i am not seeing how i can finish anything on time... I wouldn't stand to win anyway, with awesome games previewed here, but i also decided to not do the more 3d looking game i started making screens of :D
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Riaise

That's a shame, Kyriakos. I thought your screenshots looked really good! I hope that you can bring something together from what you've made so far, even if it's a very small game. :)

Yay, Crimson Wizard! I know you've been putting a lot of work into the next version of AGS, so it's really great that you've found the time to work on a MAGS game! It's looking fantastic, too! ;-D

Everything else is still looking good! Keep up the great work, everyone! :-D

Mandle

Wow, Jim Reed doing the graphics for a car racing game in a MAGS... Takes me back!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk