MAGS November "Contest" (RESULTS)

Started by MAGS Host, Wed 01/11/2017 00:07:20

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS November?

The Gourmet by Slasher
1 (7.1%)
Trivial Pass You It by Mandle
0 (0%)
Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed
11 (78.6%)
Stable Pete and the Joust by Cassiebsg
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Fri 15/12/2017 00:14:21

Slasher

I need another year.... come on Stu....don't be mean (laugh)

Grant my wishes so I can add another room to my game ;)

Seriously chaps, a month is a minimum of 28 days.... you can all do it (nod)

Crimson Wizard

When is the last day to upload the game, is it 30th or 29th? Do not want to screw up by uploading too late :S.

Basically our game is ready ("ready" in the MAGS terms), but I am coding some small improvements now.

Mandle

TRIVIAL PASS YOU IT

FINALLY AN AGS APPLICATION WHERE YOU CAN PLAY, ADD TO, CREATE FROM SCRATCH, AND/OR SHARE SETS OF TRIVIA QUESTIONS WITH OTHER PEOPLE VIA A CLUMSY INTERFACE!!!

WILL YOU FIND MENTION OF YOURSELF AND/OR YOUR CREATIONS IN THE AGS TRIVIA SET??? (I'm seriously sorry if you don't but you can add them yourself if not...)

The game as it is should give you a 10 question trivia quiz about the AGS community when you click on the "Answer Questions" button. The quiz is replayable and also you can add your own questions if you wish to and this expanded save game file will be sharable to others. Read the INSTRUCTIONS text file in the game folder to find out more about adding questions. Please read this file before clicking on the "Add Questions" button when you first play the game.

There are maybe about 70 questions in the database save game but questions will probably be repeated at times. Sorry about that for my lazy coding. I know how to fix it but it would probably break my save game files of trivia sets which took a lot of time to create so please accept this flaw for now as a "feature" where you get a second or third chance at a question you might have gotten wrong before (laugh) .

There are also three extra "agssave.099" Trivia Quizes located in seperate folders within the folder titled: PUT ALL SAVED TRIVIA HERE IN SEPARATE FOLDERS

Instructions are included in the game folder but they might be unclear so here is what you do if you wish to play a different quiz:

Copy the "agssave.099" save file from within either "Movie Trivia", "TV Trivia", or "Capital Cities Trivia" and then paste it to replace the same file in the folder "User Saves" inside the folder "Saved Trivia" in the main game folder.

The original "AGS Trivia" save game is still available in its own folder so don't worry that you might lose it.

As mentioned earlier you can add questions to any game save file or you can make a completely new set of questions by deleting the "agssave.099" file currently in the "Saved Trivia/User Saves" folder and running the game again (ignore the error message when doing so. Lazy coding again on my part. The game will create your new set of questions and answers properly.

The first field to fill in is the question.

The second field is the correct answer.

The next three fields are the incorrect answers.

The game will shuffle the answers each time the question is asked into a different order.

Argh, it sounds so complicated to use but it's actually quite simple I hope.

IMPORTANT: Remember that if you have just created a new set of questions or added to an existing one you MUST copy/paste the current "agssave.099" file in "Saved Trivia/Usersaves" back into your own custom folder to keep that version secure. The game only undates the save game file currently located in "Saved Trivia/Usersaves".

THIS IS THE FINAL RELEASE VERSION OF THE GAME FOR THIS MAGS.

It includes an expanded version of the original AGS Trivia question set and also much thanks to Riaise for creating a set of Capital City Trivia questions which is also included, bringing the total of categories to 4!!!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME

Mandle

My post above is because there is a new version of the game that includes "TV trivia" instead of the lost and broken "Stephen King Trivia"...

Please download this new version if you wish to play a new trivia round apart from "AGS Trivia" and "Movie Trivia"...

I will probably be updating the trivia files before the final release as well to include other categories or updating the current ones...

EDIT: Done! The above post is the final release version including updated content as mentioned!

Riaise

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 28/11/2017 15:20:53
When is the last day to upload the game, is it 30th or 29th? Do not want to screw up by uploading too late :S.

30th, so it has to be uploaded by the end of tomorrow. :)

I've been working on a question set, Mandle. I just need to add the last few. I've chosen a thrilling topic, you'll be on the edge of your seat while answering these questions! (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Wed 29/11/2017 13:25:47
I've been working on a question set, Mandle. I just need to add the last few. I've chosen a thrilling topic, you'll be on the edge of your seat while answering these questions! (laugh)

Awesome! I'll try it out today and include it in the game folder before the deadline!

MAGS Host

Sorry to be a meanie but it will be hard to administrate things after tomorrow due to busyness. So the deadline stands at 11:59 GMT on the 30th (a little over 20 hours from the time of this post).

You can do it, everybody!

Mandle

I just updated my version release post above to represent the final release version of my game for this MAGS.

It now includes an expanded version of the original AGS Trivia Q&A and also, thanks to a much-appreciated effort by Riaise, a new category: Capital Cities Trivia, bringing the number of playable trivia categories to a lovely 4!!!

Best of luck to the rest of the devs in releasing before the dreaded deadline hits!

Crimson Wizard

Alright, fingers crossed.

Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed present:

Last & Furious

Download links:
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u7opdaxku1459c/Last%27n%27Furious.zip?dl=0
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wq8xgjbfyvalq40/Last%27n%27Furious.zip

Screenshots:
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/YQu5AUR.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/NhM9RUk.png[/imgzoom]

Credits:
Crimson Wizard - code;
Jim Reed - art and tech ideas;
Music: "Car Theft 101" by Eric Matyas (www.soundimage.org), "Welcome to the Show" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com).

Description:
This is a racing game. Based on ambitious idea, but we had to cut it "a little" due time constraints... Vehicle physics model is mostly working, collisions are working correctly half of time, and opponent AI is... present.

Controls: Arrow keys and Enter/Space to select options in menu. Arrow keys to drive.
Somehow I forgot to include a way to redefine keys. Well... maybe in the next version.

Cars can only drive forward and turn. TBH they were able to drive backwards originally, but I "temporarily" disabled that and then did not find time to put it back.

Game features two physic modes, named "Safe" and "Wild" in the menu. "Safe" one is called "safe" because computer players are able to safely finish the race :), but it also slightly boring. In "Wild" mode cars are able to drift well, but computer AI is less reliable.
You may turn car collisions on and off. Personally I recommend turning car collisions off in "Wild" mode, because AI has enough problems handling drifting cars. Cars will still collide with walls though.

Physics model in the game is actually configurable, you may find some interesting files in Data folder, but don't touch them until finishing the game at least once :).

Riaise

Yay! I can't wait to try the game out, Crimson Wizard! I'm so glad you got it finished before the deadline. ;-D

Come on, everyone, let's have some last minute entries! :-D

Mandle

Hahaha.... I love the sponser names around the course CW!!!

Congratz on getting it done! I can't wait to play it!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 30/11/2017 14:54:44
Hahaha.... I love the sponser names around the course CW!!!

That's drawn by Jim Reed :) Frankly, I do not know some of these names meaning myself.

Cassiebsg

I'm currently trying to crush a bug before deadline, but I'll upload it with or without bug before mid-night. (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Kweepa

Last 'n' Furious is awesome!
Would love to see a more polished version with more skidding and more physical collisions!
(I didn't recognise Club Calen either)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Jim Reed

Club Galen is one of the IRC chans with members of the AGS community. The address is irc.clubgalen.com , the port is 6667 and the chan is #clubgalen.
This is Galen: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=5933

If you want to visit, and don't have an IRC client, you can use a web based one, like kiwi IRC or something. I was not paid by Galen to advertise here. I don't know why I put it in the game, I don't even like Galen. Galen.
Galen.

Kweepa

I tried looking for Calen but got address not found. ???
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

CaptainD

Last & Furious is great!  I love this sort of racing game and it would be fantastic if you expanded on it.

Crimson Wizard

I reuploaded Last'n'Furious with a patched version, which has few fixes (like removed Ctrl+Q and some other unnecessary key combinations), and sliiightly improved AI for the "Wild" physics mode. I think enemy bump a bit less into walls now (unless collide with each other, that is).
Download links are the same.
(
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u7opdaxku1459c/Last%27n%27Furious.zip?dl=0
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wq8xgjbfyvalq40/Last%27n%27Furious.zip
)

I think that will be the official MAGS version now, unless we missed a serious bug.

That reminds me that I do not know if I am even allowed to patch MAGS games after deadline.

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 30/11/2017 20:58:44
Last & Furious is great!  I love this sort of racing game and it would be fantastic if you expanded on it.

Thanks! Yes, we were talking about expanded version, maybe sometime in the future :).

Cassiebsg

Stable Pete and the Joust (DEMO)

Story:
Pete, the stable boy, has grown tired of shovelling horse crap.
With dreams of becoming a prince by marrying princess Mary Belle, he decided to enter
the contest the the King had decided to throw for the purpose of finding her a husband.

Current game specs:
- Game res: 640x360, 32bit
- Music
- No SFX
- No Speech

Currently only Demo! (bugs may exist)

This game/demo was made for MAGS Nov.2017 (Contest)

Expected finished: Dec. 2017

Download link: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2215/
Forum thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55530

(I think I managed to remove all serious bugs, but not promising anything, I did not had the time to fully test everything that I coded).
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk