MAGS November "Contest" (RESULTS)

Started by MAGS Host, Wed 01/11/2017 00:07:20

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS November?

The Gourmet by Slasher
1 (7.1%)
Trivial Pass You It by Mandle
0 (0%)
Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed
11 (78.6%)
Stable Pete and the Joust by Cassiebsg
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Fri 15/12/2017 00:14:21

Cassiebsg

Okay, then I must have chosen the right one, cause I won. :-D

Yes, I didn't read that part of the "cultural experience" up until late last night. :-[
Still, not my cup of tea for games as I play them for the puzzles and brain challenge more than I play for the story. Not your fault though. :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Vincent

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 01/12/2017 16:34:52
EDIT - whoa!  Who needs breaks anyway?!?!  2:57:32.

CaptainD, I think you are unbeatable! :-D
It would be even sweet to play Last & Furious with the gamepad, just in case! :)

Mandle

Of course I tried to cheat in Last&Furious by offroad shortcutting the course in every place possible but the game wouldn't let me...

There must be "gateway" checkpoints coded in that make sure the player mostly follows the course, damnit!!! (laugh)

Shadow1000

My comments:

Last and Furious:
I'll start off by admitting freely that this one got my vote. The title actually describes perfectly how I felt every time I played (laugh).

I have to start by commenting on how polished and complete this game is. Complete with a menu to allow you to change up some of the parameters and stunning graphics pulled right out of those 80s racing games. It took me quite some time to learn how to use the controls to maneuver the car. It seems that you almost have to know the track in advance to properly pull some of those turns. I will admit that I never finished without being in last place but over time I did keep up with the cars progressively farther on the track and overall the game is a LOT Of fun.

Absolutely outstanding for a contest entry.

Stable Pete and the Joust
Was my runner up. Despite still being a demo, the graphics, NPCs, dialogues, mini-games, inventory and so on are a very impressive job. I hope Cassie polishes this game up, gets some testers to play it and releases it. It definitely looks promising.

Trivial Pass You It

Once again, you can count on Mandle to find a way to push what AGS can do and come up with a COMPLETELY different concept and basically build his own game engine all for a contest entry.

The Gourmet
I assume that those familiar with the radio show would get a kick out of this one. More of an interactive story but entertaining nevertheless. Good job!

As far as my vote, my personal preference is adventure-style games over the classic arcade, but Last and Furious got my vote as being the most complete, most polished and overall most fun of the group. Congrats to all entries.

Stupot

Funkpanzer. What happened to your game?
I hope you didn't feel squeezed out of the racing game market. Yours was looking cool, too.
Do you still plan in releasing it?

Creamy

Last and Furious:
Spoiler

Impressive! It looks and plays just like the real thing. Took me back to the Double Clutch, Death Rally and Micro Machines days. Once polished, it will be an excellent game, AGS notwithstanding. I'd recommend a higher difficulty mode too.
[close]

Stable Pete and the Joust
Spoiler
The seeds of an entertaining game. I look forward to helping Peter of HayBucket.
[close]

Trivial Pass You It
Spoiler
Neat idea. I hope it gets more decks.
[close]

The Gourmet
Spoiler
What a bizarre and funny story. I just wish it was more interactive. For instance, I thought there would be a button masher during the contest. Slasher's second game on cooking. Would he happen to be a cordon bleu?
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 04/12/2017 01:49:35

Trivial Pass You It

Once again, you can count on Mandle to find a way to push what AGS can do and come up with a COMPLETELY different concept and basically build his own game engine all for a contest entry.

Glad to hear that you got what the concept was behind this rough-as-guts proof-of-concept game.

I'm most interested right now in creating games which the players can also add their own content to and can evolve over time based on what a "community" of players do with them.

So this was just really a baby-step in that direction. I've messed around with the same kind of idea before in Predators Prey For Plants and T.O.T.S. but I feel this experiment probably has more scope even though it is extremely simple concept.

So yeah, simple concepts that can be built on to create more complex experiences by players. Basically I'm lazy (laugh)

Riaise

The Gourmet by Slasher

Spoiler
I enjoyed this game. It wasn't challenging, but it told a good story and had plenty of humour throughout. There could have been more puzzle elements, but I think it worked well as an interactive story. :)
[close]

Trivial Pass You It by Mandle

Spoiler
This is such a great idea, and the basic premise works really well. The interface could be a bit slicker, and there are some 'features' which could annoy some people, but I know you didn't want to risk breaking the save games. Overall,
though, it's a really innovative take on the theme. :)
[close]

Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed

Spoiler
Wow, I'm amazed that anyone can make a game of this quality in just one month! The graphics are fantastic, and the amount of detail in the driving physics is just amazing! Seriously, incredible work from both of you! ;-D
[close]

Stable Pete and the Joust by Cassiebsg

Spoiler
This is a nice little game. It's a shame that some of the features weren't finished, but the graphics and animations are lovely and the story is sweet. Well done! :)
[close]

Crimson Wizard

Sorry for being bit late to comment.

The Gourmet by Slasher:
Spoiler

On this I agree with Riaise's comment above, it's a funny interactive story. I wish I knew the meaning of all those meal-related words :).

I stumbled on a bug, when replaying the game for the second time I was skipping dialogs with Escape, and Control Panel came out. For some reason I could not click Resume button, so could not continue playing.

Another thing, it appears you have copied whole Compiled folder in the archive, but since AGS 3.4.0 you need only Compiled/Windows folder. Basically, you have same game two times in the archive.
[close]

Stable Pete and the Joust by Cassiebsg:
Spoiler

The beginning looked promising, but I could not complete it :(. Gathered a number of inventory items, but found use for only few of them.
Either there are some bugs in game logic, or I was doing something wrong. I managed to put the knight asleep, though Pete kept saying he cannot mess with the helm. And speaking to the sleeping Knight made him awake again as if nothing happened.
I also could not work out the archery range, the arrows kept fliyng into directions I least expected...
[close]

Trivial Pass You It by Mandle:
Spoiler

I may be biased about gameplay side of this game, because I hate trivias :).
From the technical side, this may be an interesting idea, but if I am allowed to give advices, first of all I'd strongly suggested to not use savegames for this purpose, and use File script API. That way you will have better control over what data you have there, and can give files custom names.
[close]

Cassiebsg

CW, thanks for playing.
Well, 1st seems like you were playing the original version, and not the updated (cause I fixed the talking character). There was suppose to be a box that come out once you had completed the demo, but because I forgot to set a flag to true (see above fixed bug) that box does not show up in the original uploaded mags entry.
However if you have:
Spoiler

- Got the Armour
- Enrolled in the contest as Knight Peter of ....
- Put the red knight sleeping

Then you have completed the demo. The other items are for puzzles I didn't got to implement.
[close]

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

The folder has since been replaced.

fixing Bugs you mentioned...

Fancy pressing Esc to escape all dialogs (laugh)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 14/12/2017 16:49:17
CW, thanks for playing.
Well, 1st seems like you were playing the original version, and not the updated (cause I fixed the talking character). There was suppose to be a box that come out once you had completed the demo, but because I forgot to set a flag to true (see above fixed bug) that box does not show up in the original uploaded mags entry.

Ahhh, that made a big difference! Now I managed to finish the demo in one go :).

Spoiler

I just wanted to mention one glitch, there is a stray pixel in the character view, located about double character's width to the left, you may notice it in the darker rooms when character is facing or walking left.
[close]

Slasher

Bugs fixed and have uploaded new build..

Cheers crimson...

Cassiebsg

Tks CW, I noticed it, but had no time to re-render/fix the sprites, so I just left it in for now. ;)

Mandle

"It's the second most busiest time of the year." (everyone sing along!)

So I've played everything and voted. I will post comments if I have time.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 14/12/2017 22:53:57
"It's the second most busiest time of the year." (everyone sing along!)

So I've played everything and voted. I will post comments if I have time.
And I haven't even had time to play any of the entries yet! :~(

MAGS Host

The voting is over and the winner of MAGS November (by an impressive margin) is:

Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed.

Well done guys. You'll be contacted soon about choosing a theme for January.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

Shadow1000

Slasher

Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed.

Very well done you guys though my driving skills leave a lot to be desired...

(Crimson---Beginners luck--Jammy dodger (laugh) )

Do pick a great theme for Jan 2018..

I'll take my boxing gloves off when I do my next game, it's easier to script (laugh)

I liked the other games to...

I hope that Mandle decides to up his Trivia game as it has great potential, especially doing your own questions so that my granddaughter could play (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 15/12/2017 07:56:06
I'll take my boxing gloves off when I do my next game, it's easier to script (laugh)

You have just won two internets!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk