Drones

Started by Privateer Puddin', Mon 20/11/2017 00:24:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Privateer Puddin'

Anyone else here fly drones? I have a couple of DJI ones.

My favourite spot I've been to was in northern Italy, Calalzo di Cadore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9trUnUFJ9w

Then ofcourse a little bit of Iceland from Mittens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwx1WJpcAQ

and even the village I'm from in the UK not looking too shabby

Share 'em if you got 'em!

Disco

Your village looks like it could have been the setting of Contradiction. We should film a fan game there! :cheesy:

m0ds

Nice one Tom, didn't you also catch a good one at Mittens? Relink it here! Anyway you're good at those landscape drone shots. I'm too paranoid to fly over water at the moment... I use my phantom 3 very occasionally, I took it off beginner mode a couple of months ago, got one great shot, then crashed it into a tree at high speed so now it's broken to be sent off to repair (I should get that sorted). My gripe is really, I only get 15 mins of battery life so either have something specific to film with it or just do other things with my time. Shortest damn hobby is not much of a hobby at all (for me, at this point!). What sort of flight time do you get? How do you maximise enjoyment out of something you can only do for 15 mins once a day? Also, how do you take it on a plane?? LOL. Is it checked baggage and if so what sort of bag are you putting it in? I'd certainly like to take it somewhere further afield one day. And I hope to get a second battery soon, with a bit more flight time available I might start playing with it a bit more.

I only put one video up so far, when I was testing it out in beginner mode in summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC97N6oDVkM

Cool car shot before I crashed it ;)

selmiak

cool crop circle shot mods! Is this a well known attraction around or kind of a secret where the crop circle is?
was the car shot taking while driving and operating the dron from the car?

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Disco on Tue 21/11/2017 06:01:39
Your village looks like it could have been the setting of Contradiction. We should film a fan game there! :cheesy:

I feel like that's true for a bunch of English villages :)

Quote from: MJL on Tue 21/11/2017 08:05:05
Nice one Tom, didn't you also catch a good one at Mittens? Relink it here! Anyway you're good at those landscape drone shots. I'm too paranoid to fly over water at the moment... I use my phantom 3 very occasionally, I took it off beginner mode a couple of months ago, got one great shot, then crashed it into a tree at high speed so now it's broken to be sent off to repair (I should get that sorted). My gripe is really, I only get 15 mins of battery life so either have something specific to film with it or just do other things with my time. Shortest damn hobby is not much of a hobby at all (for me, at this point!). What sort of flight time do you get? How do you maximise enjoyment out of something you can only do for 15 mins once a day? Also, how do you take it on a plane?? LOL. Is it checked baggage and if so what sort of bag are you putting it in? I'd certainly like to take it somewhere further afield one day. And I hope to get a second battery soon, with a bit more flight time available I might start playing with it a bit more.

I did a couple of different Iceland ones, the one in the first post was of just the village we were in. Mittens was this one with photos included, and video of some of the places we visited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJsL3TI4iTQ

Flying over water is good! Sure, if it falls out of the sky it's a harder recovery and repair, but if it hits the ground from a good height it's probably bust. You get the advantage generally of there being nothing blocking your way or to crash in to. My first time flying over water was in Italy, over a river:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNKwSIfLFgw

A couple of weeks before the Calalzo video in my first post, which made me more confident about it when I got there.

Extra batteries are a must! I have 3 batteries with mine, so get let's say an hour flight which has been more than enough for me at least.

I started off with a Phantom 3 with a really big backpack, but it was hard to travel about with and I wouldn't have tried flying with it. Probably fit as the big hand luggage you're allowed, but still annoyingly big (and I don't drive, so it was lugging it about on public transport.

So, I got the Mavic which I carry about with me all over the place.

This is the bags I had for the Phantom 3 vs the Mavic..

Crop Circle is cool! I'm in the US right now and hoping to get some video in the next couple of days over Thanksgiving, going to be in the country side and near some mountains.

selmiak

m0ds

Thanks Tom, that mavic does look so much better for transporting. dji 3 makes for a good "trainer craft" but yes I think I'll aspire to owning the mavic and a few batteries for some real fun. The camera is protected? why did they not do that with the dji 3 lol!! Also, I notice in your Treviso footage the cam quality seems a bit off compared to your other vids. Any reason for that? either way, the dji 3 is great quality so the mavic can't be bad either.

selmiak: crop circles are Wiltshire tourism... you either have unsupervised fields you can enter, fields with a donation jar for the farmer, or an angry farmer. there's a website, cropcircleconnector.com with info on new circles when they appear, and if it has a co-operative farmer letting people into the field or not etc. Farmers are on varying degrees of...allowing people on their land. But that's common any place. But each new one seems reported within hours of it appearing at that ccc.com website. Maybe they or their community are ones who fabricate some of them, I don't know, how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? the one above was in a really obvious field and it seemed set up for the tour groups that come around in the summer. But that's just my opinion, and that doesn't make it any less fun to film with a drone! The car, ha - no, I'm sat in the field to the left of the camera's position. That's still only my 3rd or 4th use of the dji 3 so I wasn't up to moving along with it... But the drone has a nice feature where it will track you if you're say in the car and follow automatically. Like I say tho at 15 mins a pop for me right now I'm just sticking to simple stuff and simple experiments. And it's already crashed and in need of repair, lol.

Privateer Puddin'

Didn't get the drone out much yet, but some photos from Pennsylvania

Atelier

Nice shots all. Everything looks so much nicer from high up! I'm envious of birds and drones alike.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk