MAGS December "Invisible" (CLOSED)

Started by MAGS Host, Fri 01/12/2017 00:22:07

Previous topic - Next topic

MAGS Host

It's that time again and there can only be one winner. That's mostly because there was only one entry:

It's a Bugs Life by Slasher

Well done, Slasher. You will be contacted in due course about choosing a topic for February.

Topic: Invisible
This month's guidelines were set by Pilchard

The power of invisibility is often encountered in mythology, fantasy, and science fiction, and regularly features in games - think of the Navigator's necklace Guybrush wears to explore the ghost ship in The Secret of Monkey Island, or the Cloak nano-augmentation used for a stealthy route through the cyberpunk dystopia Deus Ex. Beyond these more fantastical ideas, invisibility can also be a powerful metaphor, for instance in the title of Ralph Ellison's 1952 novel about the African-American experience, Invisible Man.

Interpret the theme in any way you wish, but here are some ideas to consider:

• An item that can make the player invisible (e.g. a magic ring or potion)
  • Something that can only be seen by a certain character, or by using a certain item (e.g. using ultraviolet light or dusting for fingerprints at a crime scene)
  • A hidden path or entrance
  • A letter written in †Žinvisible ink
  • Feeling invisible to society
  • Feeling ignored by someone in particular

Ending: December 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

selmiak

Great Theme!
Finally it's time to actually do that blank white screen pixelhunt game where you have to find the one pixel in #fefefe color in 4k resolution... anyone interested in doing the art for my groundbreaking (it's in ultraHD!) pixelhunt project? :D ;)

brewton

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 02/12/2017 15:00:41
Great Theme!
Finally it's time to actually do that blank white screen pixelhunt game where you have to find the one pixel in #fefefe color in 4k resolution... anyone interested in doing the art for my groundbreaking (it's in ultraHD!) pixelhunt project? :D ;)

Here you go.

Creamy

Here. I can't wait till the next Molyjam!

HanaIndiana

Oooh I have non-adventure game idea. I'll test it out this weekend and see if I can get it to work. December is always a crazy busy month, but maybe if I keep it simple (for once), I'll finish.

Slasher

My entry, if I can find the time...

It's a Bugs life.................

selmiak

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 06/12/2017 23:34:17
Quote from: selmiak on Sat 02/12/2017 15:00:41
Great Theme!

Here you go.

Here. I can't wait till the next Molyjam!
[/quote]

Great! Now we need an awesome white logo on a white background and lots of invisible animation frames and it's a game! ;-D

CaptainD

Ugh... I have an idea for this but with getting Captain Disaster ready for release, I don't think I'm going to have time. :-\

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Sun 10/12/2017 10:22:11
Ugh... I have an idea for this but with getting Captain Disaster ready for release, I don't think I'm going to have time. :-\

CAPTAIN DISASTER FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!

After playing through the game again recently for testing it would just be such a shame if you were eaten up by some Bugblatter Beast or something else that can happen just when the game was on the verge of its birth!

RELEASE THE GAME!!!

(You know you want to...(kinda))

Slasher

It's a bugs life

Help little bug Bert make his way to his family's new home, a shed at the bottom of the garden.

As most gardens go it is filled with assorted characters. Some will help you and some will eat you!

You soon find out who your friends are...

A little invisibility would help...

Intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEawNUklMko

70% completed

HanaIndiana

Love the garden slasher. :) I'm only about 10% complete.
I'm still at the prototype stage, trying to figure out if I can get the logic working. So far so good. The last big piece involves coding gravity type physics. Not something I've done before. I'm giving myself a week, then we'll see if I need to go a different direction.

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/DjVS0ry.png[/imgzoom]

Slasher

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Mon 11/12/2017 06:02:39
Love the garden slasher. :) I'm only about 10% complete.
I'm still at the prototype stage, trying to figure out if I can get the logic working. So far so good. The last big piece involves coding gravity type physics. Not something I've done before. I'm giving myself a week, then we'll see if I need to go a different direction.

Thank you HanaIndiana.

The garden is in fact a scrolling room and you only see part of it in the video.

A week to figure out and implement some gravity physics should be long enough and I do hope you complete it to satisfaction (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Mon 11/12/2017 06:02:39
The last big piece involves coding gravity type physics

This is easier than you would think. You just need a variable for vertical rate of fall really which increases by whatever value you set gravity at each game cycle (so you will want to set gravity fairly small if directly using pixels as distance). Falling rate will be negative if the object is moving upwards. You can set a maximum falling speed to represent terminal velocity if anything will be falling that far for that long. Sideways movement isn't affected by falling rate. You could slow sideways movement slightly per cycle to simulate air resistance but not 100% needed.

One big tip I'll give you is to keep the object position X & Y AND falling rate variable as floats so that they can be something like -0.003 without the computer rounding them to 0 like it would for an integer. Only turn the floats into integers IN A SEPARATE VARIABLE if you need to for plotting pixel positions of the objects on the screen.

NEVER turn those integer positions back into your float variables.

So basically: keep a set of floats for the "real" X & Y position and falling rate of your object(s) and a "temporary" set of ints to translate the floats into if you need to to plot the pixel positions on the screen. Do all your physics calculations with the FLOATS only.

If you do any physics calculations using integers your movement will probably not be smooth and realistic.

Hope any of that made sense.

HanaIndiana

Thanks Mandle! I need some sideways movement/resistance too, which is where I get a little lost in my head. But this makes sense, and gives me a good starting place. And good call with the float tip. That probably just saved me hours of troubleshooting. :)

Mandle

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Mon 11/12/2017 16:18:18
Thanks Mandle! I need some sideways movement/resistance too, which is where I get a little lost in my head. But this makes sense, and gives me a good starting place. And good call with the float tip. That probably just saved me hours of troubleshooting. :)

Probably a decent way to do the sideways resistance is to reduce the object's sideways movement (positive=right... negative=left for example) by a percentage like say 0.80% per game cycle (you'll have to play around with the exact value). This way the value will never cross into the other direction illogically (eg: left movement turns into right movement). Of course use floats for your sideways movement "real" values and only translate into your "approx" integer values for placing the character on the pixel grid.

Now you have your up-down movement and left-right movement so simply move the object to (it's current position)+/-(Y-axis movement/X-axis movement)=(new position).

To explain better why you always need to use floats: The numbers are going to be like FallVel: 1.76... SideVel: -0.27... RealXPos: 302.42... RealYPos: 184.96... You can see especially with the screen positions that the floats represent positions between actual pixels which cannot be plotted on the screen but represent the real position of your object. That's why you must round them into an "approx" integer form to use as pixel locations but must continue to use the float numbers each feedback loop to do the calculations with or your objects movements are going to become jerky and crazy.

Another example: At the peak of a "jumping" object's path it's movement may slow to less than +/- one pixel per cycle so your "approx" integer plotting value may be +/- 0 movement on the screen, but your floats will still be calculating the minor changes behind the scenes and the objects velocity will smoothly increase again as it starts the fall back down.

If you get super stuck I'm sure someone will provide actual code in the help thread. (and probably show a better way to handle the physics than mine (laugh) )

Slasher

Update

My entry is basically done.

I just need to fully implement a mini game and then fully test.

Slasher

Life in the garden can be pretty dangerous if you are a Bug.
Download "It's a Bugs Life"
Minor error message fixed and Debug now off.

Story Line:
Poor Bert Bug fell off the dog on the way to the new family home: a shed. Now Bert Bug has to find his way to their new home which means walking through a dangerous garden filled with assorted characters, some are friendly and some are not.
This is definitely a case where some invisibility would help!
Will Bert Bug make it home in one piece and be reunited with his family?

This endearing game is not too long and you will need to find solutions to problems you face on your quest to make it home...

Characters:
Some Characters Bert faces:
* Shah Snake
* Baz the Red Ant
* Sammy Slug
* Freddie Frog
* Marvin Mantis
and more.....

Includes a mini game with Mick Mole...

Screenshots [Long Scrollable Room):

Specs:
320 X 200
32 Bit color
Direct3D 9 hardware acceleration

Slasher

Life in the garden can be pretty dangerous if you are a Bug.

Minor error message fixed and Debug now off. Text speed now a bit slower...

Stupot

@Slasher
With debug mode turned off shouldn't you now rename the game to It's a Life?

Slasher

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 17/12/2017 04:24:56
@Slasher
With debug mode turned off shouldn't you now rename the game to It's a Life?
That's a joke. I remember you telling one last year (laugh) ;)

Also Mole collide issue fixed...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk