Space Quest played in a special way

Started by Radiant, Sat 02/12/2017 02:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

I bet you haven"t played Space Quest this way before! For the EGA version of Space Quest I, this outlines what commands to use to complete the game! Type them exactly as written and you'll be surprised :)

Part one: Arcada
Code: ags

First, please clock me in, sir.
I guess Scott is flashing me now.
(left, right, left; wait for the scientist to walk in)
Please care for every dude from now on.
Look out to read out, is it out?
Sir Astral, Corpse
Get down into the cart, it is little.
(left, left)
I guess I grab at the lint with you.
Swipe every credit card.
(you can type "kick body" to LOSE one point! Even when not near one.)
(right, down elevator, right, down elevator, right)
Off the press, open me from the inside.
(right)
Fill credit card from the slot machine.
(enter elevator)
Push all of these out of the airlock.
The press is all that is left now.
A little push for me, old sir, right?
Rob is flashing another sarien uniform.
A little swipe now at the translator.
To turn you on a little, dial me now!
(left)
Push for third base now, I guess.
I stand now under the little rocket.
Push me over to the second power.
First from the press, autopilot is in.
Shut up, out of the door with you!
The buckle is flashing on that belt.
Move now to throttle me for a second.
(score is now 34)

Part two: Kerona
Will you pick me for a little survival.
Another open second, out of supplies.
Get down, for the belt will please you.
Get off first, craft a little for you.
I pick up that hunk from the mirror.
(right, right, right, up, right)
Toss at that little sir, for you can!
Pick another, for you part at first.
(for an easter egg, go left, up, right; then wait in the middle of the screen)
(left, down, take the path up, left)
I guess sir is a push over, it rocks.
(left, up, right, right, walk through the arch)
Get up please, rock me now!
(left, stick to the top wall to walk past the grate)
Fill the old boulder to steam it off.
(up, left)
A second set of glass is light for me.
(on the upper path go right, right, right)
You put these on to please that hunk.
(up)
Now flashing: a plug for the cart!
Take off in cart for flashing slots
Stand up, the bike is a little off now.
Turn off every switch, it is out now.
(play the arcade sequence)
(score is now 110)

Part three: Ulence Flats
Get out into sand, skimmer is with you.
That is for you now, sir I.A.N.
Rob me now? This key is a little old.
(up, walk behind the building)
Climb in these to fuck off now
Grab another buck from the inside
(down)
Little is up with you, I guess, yes?
(enter bar, walk up to the barkeeper)
At present, little is under the coupon.
Inside the drink is some swill for me.
All the beer is out of me now.
That old ale is over in a second.
(play the slot machine)
Holy shit.
(left, up, right, up)
I give up, this old coupon is over now.
Buy all robots, all those for me now!
(down, left, down, left, up)
I buy you out. Craft another for me.
The old scale is through inside ladder.
Some of that is the third load now.
I guess that into HH it is, sir.
(score is now 153)

Part four: Deltaur
First in!put: on the jet, pack it all.
Get out of all this in the escape pod.
Turn off now, I will handle it for you.
(enter; wait for the robot to appear, then dodge around him and go up)
Open  up from inside the chest.
Enter up from inside the chest.
Open  up from inside the chest.
Shut  up from inside the chest.
Jump  up from inside the chest.
Get down from this to vent to you sir
Get in   from this to vent to you sir
(leave the vent immediately)
Jump supercalifragilistic.
Open  second cartridge retrieval unit.
Enter second cartridge retrieval unit.
Open  second cartridge retrieval unit.
Look for the space suit inside of me.
(right)
I will kiss up to this old scientist.
You speak little of the second people.
(repeat the above until he asks if you own King`s Quest II)
Another first for me, yes is up to you.
(take the left elevator, left, enter elevator, right, right, right)
Redeem it in I: id is in it, is in I.
Grab the first, second, third bombs.
(left, stand above the Sarien)
Is the cast off? The grenade is inside.
(right)
A present for you: another id card.
Take a smoke, bomb is over for now.
(left, left, enter elevator; from now on, press F6 whenever you enter a room; right, right)
Explore with me for a second, dude.
The press is off; switch it on now.
This is view control, panel is inside.
(press the buttons 6, 8, 5, 8, ENTER)
(left, enter elevator, enter the other elevator)
You stand out from every vessel.
Another sir will launch with you.
(score is now 205)

THE END

MiteWiseacreLives!

Cassiebsg

Uhm.. now I wish I had SQ here to try that out. :-\
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 02/12/2017 09:14:45
Uhm.. now I wish I had SQ here to try that out. :-\

Me too... thankfully it's easy to get.
And if I do this, then I'll be able to say I've completed Space Quest. :-D

Khris

I tried this and got stuck at #17.
Also, isn't this all just window dressing?

I guess "Fill credit card from the slot machine." is parsed as "insert card slot", so does the game actually care for the other words, since you said to type them exactly as written?
I'd love to have some more information about this.

Gilbert

Quote from: Khris on Mon 04/12/2017 12:55:03
...so does the game actually care for the other words, since you said to type them exactly as written?
Except for cases when you really need to type your commands in very specific ways, because of oversight/glitches introduced by the developers. That glitch made me unable to finish the game until more than 10 years later(not a joke here), that I learned online that I must type in the "the", which were okay to be ignored except the very last command. I'm just ranting though, and I think this probably didn't apply to SQ.

Radiant

Quote from: Khris on Mon 04/12/2017 12:55:03
I tried this and got stuck at #17.
What, "Push all of these out of the airlock." ? That one works for me. Which version of SQ are you playing, that may make a difference (I'm running 2.2).

Quote from: Gilbert on Mon 04/12/2017 16:59:11
Except for cases when you really need to type your commands in very specific ways, because of oversight/glitches introduced by the developers. That glitch made me unable to finish the game until more than 10 years later(not a joke here), that I learned online that I must type in the "the", which were okay to be ignored except the very last command. I'm just ranting though, and I think this probably didn't apply to SQ.
That's an urban legend about Larry 2. The very last command also ignores "the", the catch is that you have to type "airsick bag" instead of "bag". You'd expect the latter to be a synonym, but it's not. The you the can the add the word the the the everywhere the and the parser the will the ignore the it.

Khris

It did work after I moved over to the console. I got to Kerona, this time #5 didn't work. Typed while standing outside the pod, next to it. Game says "you can't see that here".
Version 2.2, played on ScummVM.

When you say "you'll be surprised", are you just referring to the fact that the parser recognizes these lines as the proper commands?

Gilbert

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 04/12/2017 17:28:13
That's an urban legend about Larry 2. The very last command also ignores "the", the catch is that you have to type "airsick bag" instead of "bag". You'd expect the latter to be a synonym, but it's not. The you the can the add the word the the the everywhere the and the parser the will the ignore the it.
No. See the explanation I linked to in my last post, which was by Al Lowe himself. He also listed a number of commands that worked and not worked. The reason is not whether the parser ignores the "the" or not, it's just that adding a "the" makes the parser recognise the word "bag" a noun and not a verb. I never got it to work for more than 10 years because I used to type "put bag in bottle", but "put the bag in the bottle" definitely worked.

Radiant

Quote from: Khris on Mon 04/12/2017 18:31:11
It did work after I moved over to the console. I got to Kerona, this time #5 didn't work. Typed while standing outside the pod, next to it. Game says "you can't see that here".
It's a proximity check. You need to stand at the lower right corner of the pod.

Quote from: Gilbert on Mon 04/12/2017 18:49:08
No. See the explanation I linked to in my last post, which was by Al Lowe himself.
Al is misremembering. Here's a Let's Play video of someone doing it without "the".

Danvzare

I guess the only question that remains, is if you can make this list of commands actually make some semblance of sense. Perhaps giving a funny story of some kind. And still work.

Because right now, it just seems like a bunch of random sentences, with little to do with the previous command or what is happening ingame.

Gilbert

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 05/12/2017 07:18:37
Al is misremembering. Here's a Let's Play video of someone doing it without "the".
I don't know why you're still insisting. I've mentioned this was DEFINITELY the case I have experienced for 10+ years. Adding the "the" does make it working, so it's not an urban legend.
As for that video, maybe the glitch was fixed in a later revision, or maybe adding the word "airsick" also make "bag" into a noun (more likely the phrase "airsick bag" itself is recognised as a noun), and that just meant if you didn't add the "the" you'd need to add "airsick". The problem was not whether the parser ignored the word "the". I am sure it's indeed supposed to be ignored here, but somehow you need to do something to make it recognise "bag" as a noun.

Radiant

Quote from: Gilbert on Tue 05/12/2017 14:59:04adding the word "airsick" also make "bag" into a noun (more likely the phrase "airsick bag" itself is recognised as a noun),
Yes, that is precisely what I said earlier in the thread. I have no idea why you sound so angry about that.

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 04/12/2017 17:28:13the catch is that you have to type "airsick bag" instead of "bag".

Gilbert

I was not angry. I just didn't get what you're supposed to deliver (like mentioning it an urban legend when adding a "the" really worked), and I also didn't understand what you meant by Al Lowe misremembering the details as what he said was precisely what happened, though some of the listed examples may not be accurate. This also just sound mocking in its own right:
Quote from: Radiant on Mon 04/12/2017 17:28:13
The you the can the add the word the the the everywhere the and the parser the will the ignore the it.
I never got what this was supposed to mean until now, and that just made things worse. In fact I never said the "the" was not ignored, but the truth was, even if it was ignored, adding it was enough to make it work.
The word "bag" was supposed to work the same as "airsick bag" (so they were supposed to be synonyms). It's because "bag" was also labeled as a verb and the parser was designed such that when a phrase is both labeled verb and noun, it would be treated as a verb with a higher priority. It just happened that adding a "the" would force the parser to treat it a noun and so it worked. For the case of "airsick bag", it probably worked even without the "the" trick because this exact phrase was only labeled as a noun.

cat

Thank you Gilbert for summing up the issues with the parser. Seems like both of you were correct, so no need to be angry anymore :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk