Dungeon Hands

Started by eri0o, Tue 05/12/2017 01:36:19

Previous topic - Next topic

eri0o

Dungeon Hands

Dungeon Hands is a two player card game you can play on a computer, made for LudumDare40. Click and drag to move cards. Click gif above to play game.

Ludum Dare 40 entry
  • Music and Graphics by Ricardo Juchem
  • Game Design by Kamila Galvani
  • Code and Stuff by Érico Porto

Here are the rules

You win when you have no cards in hand.

When the game starts players can choose Monster Overlord or Heroes. The player with Monster Overlord deck starts.

A round is composed of each player turns.

On the start of the turn, the player can play any special card if desired. Then the player must play either a Hero card (when playing with Heroes) or a Monster card (if you are the Monster Overlord). Then the game goes to next turn.

The player playing next can play any special card if desired. Then the player must play either a Hero card (when playing with Heroes) or a Monster card (if you are the Monster Overlord), but the card played MUST be either a higher Rank or the same Class, this is called a valid card. If a player does not have a valid card in his hand, that player draws cards until a valid card is drawn and played. Then the turn ends.

With Monster Overlord cards and Heroes cards on the table, the dungeon encounter is resolved, and all cards on table leave play - the Hero cards go back to the village and the Monsters cards perish. The player who had the highest Rank card get to start the next round. If all cards had the same Rank, the last player to play starts the next round.

The Rank is the number on the corner, Class is represented by the symbol and color of the card. Special cards have no Rank or Class.

The player who draws the last deck card loses.

Mandle

Looks like awesome fun! I love card/board games so I might give this one a try with some of my older students sometime soon!

CaptainD

Looks cool - congrats on the release!  I'll have to join Ludlum Dare one of these days...

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release! :-D
Looks like the perfect game to lay on my tablet. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

eri0o

Thanks Mandle, CaptainD and Cassiebsg!

We wanted to add special habilities on some base cards and do some more special cards, but time was short.

I used the Drag and Drop demo from Crimson Wizard as starting point, so there are three characters: heroes, monsters and table, and three inventories on screen. I wanted to add the possibility to double click a card to place on table but didn't know how.

The code is on github, (AGS folder), I will organize later. https://github.com/ericoporto/DungeonHands

I created a cards module to hold information on cards and a play module that deals with turns and the rules.

Edit: if someone playing with the code could gently build for OSX or Android :O

Crimson Wizard

Like this kind of games, although usually terrible at them :).

Quote from: eri0o on Tue 05/12/2017 16:53:40
I wanted to add the possibility to double click a card to place on table but didn't know how.
There is another module ;)
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53226.0

Cassiebsg

Oh, you might want to emphasize the "two players"... as I thought the second player would be the AI... (laugh) (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Surdy

eri0o

Thanks Surdy! Hey Cassiebsg, tested with touch on Windows. You may have a point on playing on tablet.

I may expand the game and add AI if I find out how to build to Android :P. And Crimson Wizard, thanks for the module linked! I will be very useful. 8-)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Thu 07/12/2017 00:23:56
I may expand the game and add AI if I find out how to build to Android :P.

If this is made with AGS 3.4.1, engine needs a fix for Android, because of recent update to OpenGL renderer. To skip few technical details, someone needs to find out which imports to make to make it compile with OpenGL shader functions.

eri0o

Ah, I made it with the 3.4.0 latest stable :D the code on github is that. I then copied to another folder and built the game with 3.4.1 to get OpenGL support to work with Windows 10. The Linux Version I shipped is based on 3.4.0 exe though.

eri0o

Hey! Just a small update.

We are testing real cards and rules and ideas. :-D Going for a physical release is a possibility. 8-)

eri0o

Hey! Sorry for ressurecting the game. I am using it for an experiment.

It's GitHub repository now builds the game using GitHub Actions and has integrated artifacts upload to Itch.io through Butler!

Additionally, took the opportunity to add a web player - which is also created through GH Actions automation.

I am planning a small write-up, but feel free to ask questions!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk