BACKGROUND BLITZ: Countryside - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by lorenzo, Mon 11/12/2017 18:24:07

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

COUNTRYSIDE

Spoiler
Giovanni Fattori, Acquaiole livornesi; Telemaco Signorini, Tra gli ulivi a Settignano, Sulle colline a Settignano; Giovanni Fattori, Riposo in Maremma; Telemaco Signorini, La ricamatrice.
[close]

Your job is to draw a background that features the countryside. It could be a cosy farm, a colourful field, a stable, a barn, cattle grazing in the meadow, cowboy herding cows and so on.

Deadline: 28th of December 2017.

Voting:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clear walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: what's the feeling of the place? Does the image convey the wanted atmosphere?

Good luck!

Mouth for war

I like this theme! I whipped up a little something. Not much interaction to be had I guess but if a nice walk's what you're after...well then it works :D

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

lorenzo

Great, atmospheric background, Mouth for war! And in such a short time!
I would love to play a first-person adventure game with similar graphics. And in it, I would definitely pick up and eat those mushrooms â€" poisonous or not. ;)

Mouth for war

Thank you! Haha yeah those tasty toadstools is everything a growing man needs :-D

DBoyWheeler

Hopefully this fits the theme.

This is set at about moonrise of the evening before the first snows of winter.

Maybe the main character might visit here a few times to find certain items on his/her quest, similar to how in KQ6, Alexander found random stuff in the garden in the Isle of Wonder both before and after defeating the Minotaur in the Catacombs.  At least, that's one way to look at this.

lorenzo

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Tue 12/12/2017 16:15:36
Hopefully this fits the theme.
Of course it does!

Nice idea for a background! It really gives you the idea of a cold night in the countryside.

Rocchinator

good pick Lorenzo, I will try something out

lorenzo

Great! Can't wait to see your entry.  :)

lorenzo

The deadline is in two days. Is anybody working on an entry and need more time?

Cassiebsg

Oh, I forgot about this one :-\
Wanted to practice my hand drawn skills, but doubt I'll have the time now. :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Glenjamin

I lived out in the middle of nowhere for a few months. Great memories except for the manure fields :cry:

anyway here's my entry.

The monster would be like an animated setpiece for world building. Otherwise you'd probably just have to fix the tractor.

lorenzo

Really cool take on the theme, Glenjamin! That huge, creepy monster in the background looks great, I'd love to see it in motion!

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 26/12/2017 20:48:51
Wanted to practice my hand drawn skills, but doubt I'll have the time now. :~(
Are you sure, Cassiebsg? I can extend the deadline if you want to give it a try.

lorenzo

Time to vote!

Entries:

1. Mouth for war

2. DBoyWheeler

3. Glenjamin

Voting categories:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clear walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: what's the feeling of the place? Does the image convey the wanted atmosphere?

Voting ends on the 3rd of January 2018.

Trophies:

First place gets Robin, the cultured horse!
Second place earns Daisy, the elegant cow!
Third place takes Bob, the cool dog!

Now go vote!

CaptainD

Concept: Glenjamin - I really want to know what that thing behind the mountains is! 
Playability: Glenjamin - seems like the only one where it looks likely that the player would stop and do stuff rather than pass through.  (Mouth of War's certainly has a lot of things in it, but it's very busy and doesn't seem like the player character would have room to actually get to things.  That might just be me of course!)
Artistic Execution: Mouth for war - great atmosphere to this piece  (DBoyWheeler's was great too, I love the elegant simplicity of it.)

Mouth for war

I vote Glenjamin for concept, execution and playability. Really cool work! It was tough to choose playability but Glenjamin had a tractor so that's something at least to interact with. :-D

Riaise

Concept: Glenjamin - I love the colours of the sky, and the idea of a monster being part of the countryside is very intriguing.
Playability: Glenjamin - The area at the front would be a decent sized walkable area and the tractor could be useful in a game.
Artistic Execution: Mouth for war - I like that the path is mostly hidden behind the foliage, it gives a sense of foreboding, but is still a pretty forest scene.

lorenzo

RESULTS

On 1st place we have... Glenjamin!
Here's a pipe-smoking horse for you!

On 2nd place we have... Mouth for war!
Your trophy is Daisy, the posh cow!

On 3rd place we have... DBoyWheeler!
For you, man's best friend: a dog in a pork pie hat!

Thank you all for participating in this Background Blitz! :cheesy:

Rocchinator

Cingrats Glenjamin, amazin entries. I Didnt have the time to enter, too busy.

Mouth for war

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk