I Want Out!

Started by NicolaGs, Thu 14/12/2017 17:51:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow1000

I finished playing this game and I feel I really need to comment.

First, I am absolutely amazed at the adaptation of the old "escape the room" theme. The story really draws the player in.

Next is the puzzles themselves. The difficulty is exactly in that sweet spot where the game progresses so long as you keep plugging away at it without the puzzles getting frustrating.  What a wonderful combination of traditional puzzles with a lot of fresh and surprising material.

It goes without saying that the stunning graphics just puts that overall polish on the game that makes the entire experience memorable.

The only thing you might want to add if you have the time is that some actions cause the screen to go dark and then come back and the action is completed. I know that it's a lot easier to imply the action rather than put in the animation but it might be a nice touch if you put in the appropriate animation.

Otherwise, a very impressive job. I look forward to more games from the authors.

NicolaGs

Thanks all for the kind words.
I'm really happy that you enjoyed playing it.

Quote from: Shadow1000The only thing you might want to add...
About the "fade to black" actions : yes... that's exactly what you said... animations are difficult and take so much time to be done that we used this simple "trick". Maybe we'll do a deluxe version with more animations if we have time! ;)
My first game : I Want Out!

Loslem

That looks awesome. Will definitely try this once I find time :)

Kumpel

Hm. I bugged myself to the highscore...
Spoiler
Spoiler
The "key falling out of the keyhole" part can be done repeatedly to achieve this.
[close]
[close]

But apart from that I finally did it. Very cool game! The graphics are superb for an amateur project.
Spoiler
Especially the final escape scene looked amazing!
[close]
Clever puzzles, nice story idea. All in all a job very well done! Now go and make more of this with your brother! :=

NicolaGs

Quote from: Kumpel on Fri 22/12/2017 09:54:54
Hm. I bugged myself to the highscore...
You definitely beat the game :-D
Well... got to look at this... (I must have missed some "DoOnceOnly" conditions...)

QuoteNow go and make more of this with your brother! :=
Thanks, that's very encouraging... ;)

Edit : game updated to version 1.1.0 (some bug fix / Gameplay change : one item can now be used with USE and THROW action)

selmiak

Finally I made it through this cool and very entertaining game and enjoyed most of it. Damn you verbs, I tried
Spoiler
using the rope instead of throwing it for n times and then never tried throwing it for way too long, thanks Mr click³ for solving this mystery :D
[close]

and so I also just happend to record a fast playthrough through the game with hopefully all look at explanations and lots of intersting interactions.
!!! ALL SPOILERS IN THIS LONGPLAY VIDEO !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUIQXFRM4ys

!!! THIS VIDEO IS ALL SPOILERS !!!

Click'd

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 23/12/2017 00:46:38
thanks Mr click³ for solving this mystery :D

I made that mistake as well. I even went so far as lassoing from atop the bridge.

NicolaGs

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Sat 23/12/2017 01:39:48
I made that mistake as well.
Based on your feedback, I changed this in the last version yersterday : USE and THROW can be both used with this item now.
I didn't want the player to be stuck like this just because of a "bad" choice in the verbs whereas the logic was correct.
Spoiler
I kept the THROW verb-only for the dynamite because it seems more logic with this item.
[close]
QuoteI even went so far as lassoing from atop the bridge.
Yes, but there was a bug on my part, back in the beta, allowing you to do it... ;)

Selmiak, thanks for your video. (It's odd to see a video on youtube with your own game... :-D)

arj0n

Congrats on the release, team!

Tabata

Played it (and got stuck because
Spoiler
of using the lasso, too :-[
[close]
so I am glad you changed that now).
Congrats for releasing such an entertaining and well done little game.
I really like the graphics and gameplay!
Can't wait to see more from you! (nod)

Phemar

Awesome short game, got me stumped a few times! The art was astounding, and the animations were smooth, even if there weren't many (I did not notice the ol' fade to black trick was used a few times!).

I also noticed one little grammatical error, although it's not a huge deal, just me being nitpicky. Right at the end scene, the boy says "oneself", when it is probably more correct to use "one's self". I could be wrong, but this is what The Grammarist has to say about it:

"The two-word phrase one's self is only justifiable when self is used in a spiritual, philosophical, or psychological sense. In all other cases, one's self can be replaced with the pronoun oneself."

NicolaGs

Thank you! :)

Quote from: Phemar on Mon 25/12/2017 09:29:05
I also noticed one little grammatical error, although it's not a huge deal
Yes, maybe. As my english is quite basic... I couldn't tell. I found this on WordReference :

"Both one's self and oneself are correct. Most people would use oneself, whereas deep thinkers would use one's self."

So I guess I'll leave it like that (and I don't want to offend my proofreaders :-D). But don't get me wrong, I like nitpicking, thank you ;)

Cassiebsg

I finally got to play this one! (nod)
Very nice job you guys managed to put in this. I got stuck a few times, but managed to get un-stuck on my own. :-D I managed to get 92% as I never got to open the metal door (I just saw where the paper was on selmiak's video, which I never noticed in the game as I played with the verbs always visible... (roll)). Besides I kept trying to get the wet papers so I could dry them in the sun, using the lighter.... (roll)

I was more surprised to have reached the end, as I thought that maybe my paper was in the tunnels... (roll)

In all, very nice game! :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Click'd

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 26/12/2017 23:10:07
I managed to get 92% as I never got to open the metal door
Spoiler
You get percents for trying everything, even if it doesn't work out.
Spoiler
The door can not be opened.
[close]
[close]

Stupot

I finally got around to finishing this after geting quite stuck.

One thing that impresses me about this game is the use of space and the 3D-like depth of the room. Nearly all AGS games have that basic box-shape (or variants of it). I sometimes think that it's a waste of time to make up and down walking animations (let alone diagonals) when most games pretty much just have the character move left and right 90 percent of the time anyway. But in this game I really felt that I had this big space to explore.

The other thing that impressed me was the ending. I did have one complaint about the game (that the puzzles are a bit mundane) but actually the ending kind of explains why those particular kinds of puzzles were chosen, so it was worth slogging through them to get the finale.

Nice work.

NicolaGs

What? The puzzles are mundane? :D
Yes, I get that... they certainly are... I think it's because it all started as a proof of concept for us. The story came after, in order to create a context for the "mechanics" we would like to test... We didn't aim fo originality, that's true ;) Maybe next time?
But glad to see you like it anyway.:)

NicolaGs

Hi everybody!

I'm happy to announce that I Want Out! is now available in German, in addition to English and French, thanks to ToxicTuba! :)

NicolaGs

Hello!

A small update for those who could be interested :
Thanks to Alexander Preymak and Windows-1251 encoding (sic), the game now exists in Russian!

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/a1kApoJ.png[/imgzoom]

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/Fjt61GY.png[/imgzoom]

Mandle

Awesome game! Just got finished now...

The main thing that got me stuck was

Spoiler
Whenever I tried using the dynamite the game said "throw from a distance". I know now that the game was trying to tell me to "just throw the dynamite instead of using it you idiot!", but the way the hint is phrased suggested more to me that I had to find the right distant point to throw it from rather than that throwing it was the main point. I would suggest changing that hint to something simpler like "You need to throw the dynamite" or just avoid the whole thing the way you did with the rope: "Use" and "Throw" do same thing...
[close]

NicolaGs

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 16/04/2018 13:26:07
I know now that the game was trying to tell me (...) you idiot!"
Well, that says it all... I should reconsider this if I don't players to feel like this. There's the same issue with
Spoiler
pick up / pull the rope / the cable
[close]
Difficult puzzles are a thing. Difficult to understand gameplay logic is another thing...
I'll either change the dialogs or merge use/throw actions...
Thanks for your input, Mandle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk