I Want Out!

Started by NicolaGs, Thu 14/12/2017 17:51:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Durq

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 16/04/2018 13:26:07
Awesome game! Just got finished now...

The main thing that got me stuck was

Spoiler
Whenever I tried using the dynamite the game said "throw from a distance". I know now that the game was trying to tell me to "just throw the dynamite instead of using it you idiot!", but the way the hint is phrased suggested more to me that I had to find the right distant point to throw it from rather than that throwing it was the main point. I would suggest changing that hint to something simpler like "You need to throw the dynamite" or just avoid the whole thing the way you did with the rope: "Use" and "Throw" do same thing...
[close]

Mandle, did you eventually figure it out, or did you have to look up the solution?

Mandle

Quote from: NicolaGs on Mon 16/04/2018 20:13:44
There's the same issue with
Spoiler
pick up / pull the rope / the cable
[close]

Yeah, I must admit that at first I briefly thought

Spoiler
"I must use my strength" meant that I must somehow become stronger like by drinking a Red Bull from the vending machine (laugh). Perhaps something like "It's a bit stuck in the debris. It's going to take a little more than just picking it up to heft it free." I chose the word "heft" to make it not quite as obvious but if it's still confusing to people you could use "jerk it free" and it that's still not enough "yank it free". Actually you could even use each term in order each time the player tries to pick up the rope so it's a gradually easier hint. That could work... ;-D
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Durq on Mon 16/04/2018 20:23:00
Mandle, did you eventually figure it out, or did you have to look up the solution?

I eventually figured it out. I did manage to complete the whole game without looking up any hints. I think it took me about 2 hours including "stuck" time.

NicolaGs

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 17/04/2018 02:12:14
"I must use my strength" meant that I must somehow become stronger like by drinking a Red Bull from the vending machine (laugh)
We tried to guess what the player would think... butI must admit we totally missed this one! :-D

I'm curious : did you have the same confusion with the...
Spoiler
electric cable behind the vending machine, which must be pulled as well?
[close]
Anyway, thanks for your ideas!
My first game : I Want Out!

Mandle

Quote from: NicolaGs on Tue 17/04/2018 11:34:44
I'm curious : did you have the same confusion with the...
Spoiler
electric cable behind the vending machine, which must be pulled as well?
[close]
Anyway, thanks for your ideas!

No, that was pretty clear what to do after the same experience before.

selmiak

I liked the
Spoiler
pull the rope instead of just picking it up puzzle and got it in few seconds ;)
[close]

still some hints by Luke could help...

NicolaGs

Mandle, I followed your advice and changed a bit the dialogs for
Spoiler
picking up the rope/cable
[close]
Thank you!

Mandle

No worries. Glad I could help out.

NicolaGs

I'm happy to let you know that I Want Out! is now also translated in Spanish, which now makes 5 avalaible languages.
Thanks to Raul Puro for that!

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/6Kcuib6.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/3cVsCkx.png[/imgzoom]

Matti

I played the game a few days ago and I really enjoyed it! It was even better than I expected :)

Nicely done!

NicolaGs

Quote from: Matti on Thu 28/06/2018 15:46:02
It was even better than I expected :)
Thanks! I prefer it that way rather than the opposite :-D...

cianty

When I start the game, it immediately fails with an error:

in "room 301.asc", line 27

:embarrassed:

Edit: Ok, got it running by changing the driver to "Software Renderer" via the winsetup. :sealed:

Edit 2: Just finished the game. It was a great experience. Congrats on a well done short game!
ca. 70% completed

NicolaGs

Quote from: cianty on Sun 08/07/2018 10:14:22
Edit 2: Just finished the game. It was a great experience. Congrats on a well done short game!
Thank you! :)

QuoteWhen I start the game, it immediately fails with an error:

:embarrassed:
Edit: Ok, got it running by changing the driver to "Software Renderer" via the winsetup. :sealed:
I don't like that...
This line is a simple FadeIn()... Could you try again with OpenGL and DirectX to see if it can be reproduced, please? Maybe there's an incompatibility with your OpenGL version... is it an old PC?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cianty on Sun 08/07/2018 10:14:22
When I start the game, it immediately fails with an error:

Is it full error message or was there anything else?

NicolaGs

Hi everybody,

Hopefully here is the final update to this game, in order to prevent a bug reported several times (alt-tab combination leading to dialogs quickly skipping by themsleves).
I updated the game with AGS engine version 3.4.1.14 which fixes this bug.

I considered creating a new game with AGS for a time but I'm just starting a project in another genre for now...
So I'll come back here when I'll have another Point'n'click project.

Cheers!

Durq

Quote from: NicolaGs on Mon 06/05/2019 17:54:36
I considered creating a new game with AGS for a time but I'm just starting a project in another genre for now...
So I'll come back here when I'll have another Point'n'click project.

Cheers!

Hi! Can you tell us what the project is?

NicolaGs

Quote from: Durq on Mon 06/05/2019 19:55:52
Hi! Can you tell us what the project is?
Hey Beau! Yes, sure...
For the past months, I've been learning how to code video games (well... the basis...) to be able to create games from scratch...
I'm making (at least trying to make...) a platform game. I'm currently at a very early stage, coding the engine.
I don't want to spam here because it's not AGS related, but if you're interested, I've just started to publish my WIP >here< some days ago.

Btw, one day, I may need beta testers again ;)...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk