Adventure games-remake of old movies?

Started by TheFrighter, Sun 24/12/2017 18:38:50

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFrighter

Talking about remakes, what if someone "remade" an old movie as adventure videogame? Obviously I mean movie without copyright because expired.

It may be a sort of re-boot almost for old horror/sci-fi b-movies with very poor sfx that deserves a second chanche...

If anyone is interested here is the wiki page about movie in public domain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_in_the_public_domain_in_the_United_States

_

CyberUncleCat

This is actually a nice idea but i personaly would prefer making games based on old books.

Danvzare

Ooh, this is a very interesting idea. Especially since we could quite easily remake Night of the Living Dead into a game. Because that film is in the public domain, and would probably fit into the adventure genre quite nicely.

I'd certainly be on board to help anyone who wants to remake an old public domain movie.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 25/12/2017 19:20:47
Ooh, this is a very interesting idea. Especially since we could quite easily remake Night of the Living Dead into a game. Because that film is in the public domain, and would probably fit into the adventure genre quite nicely.

I'd certainly be on board to help anyone who wants to remake an old public domain movie.
Even Dementia 13 by F.F.Coppola suits well for an adventure game...

I'm surprised that a masterpiece like Orson Welles's The Stranger is in PD, but that's Hollywood. It can be a great game.

_

Blondbraid

I can't find if Die Nibelungen: Siegfried and it's sequel, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhilds Rache by Fritz Lang is in the Public domain, but the stories they are based upon are. It's a fantastic take on a great story and I'd swear that the heroine Kriemhild served as the basis of inspiration for the queen for Disney's Snow White, Cercei Lannister and Danerys Targaryen, and she's making Attila the Hun look like a reasonable pacifist in comparison!
(No joke, Attila really is a character in the second movie)

But otherwise I agree with CyberUncleCat, there are lots of great litterature just waiting for a good adaption. I'm still waiting to see someone take on Don Quixote, since not only is the book itself a hilarious parody of overused fantasy tropes, but turning it into a game would make for ripe material to make fun of various game mechanics in RPG and Adventure games, such as healing potions, armor upgrades and exposition dumps, all those things appear in the original book.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 26/12/2017 19:00:02But otherwise I agree with CyberUncleCat, there are lots of great litterature just waiting for a good adaption.
Yes, but the point is that a remake is a different thing than an adaption. The challenge of reply the old cinematography, the costume and production design, the score, the visual effects... and more changelling the character's expressions.

_

Click'd

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 26/12/2017 19:00:02
turning it into a game would make for ripe material to make fun of various game mechanics in RPG and Adventure games, such as healing potions, armor upgrades and exposition dumps, all those things appear in the original book.
The problem with that is that games making fun of mechanics mostly do so while USING said mechanics themselves. Same old, but with a wink and a nudge, if you will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk