Is AGS compatable with Ios yet?

Started by Squinky, Fri 15/12/2017 23:04:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Squinky

Hey guys,
Just an old timer popping in to ask about the state of AGS. I looked around and couldn't find any info on this, so forgive me if I am asking obvious questions.

Back when I made AGS games, it was pretty normal for people to go to a website and download my stuff. I think that era is gone, and it leaves me wondering if producing a game with AGS is worthwhile. The only real route to an audience I see is to somehow get on Steam, which is beyond me I think.

I'd love to make an ags game that could be played on a phone or tablet. Is this possible without being a hardcore programmer at this stage?

Thanks for any help.

Privateer Puddin'

Hey Squinky!

Janet from Wadjet Eye put together a really good guide for releasing iOS versions:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52219.0

Seems pretty doable following that guide!

Pirate Fry Four?? ;)

m0ds

QuoteThe only real route to an audience I see is to somehow get on Steam, which is beyond me I think.

Do you have $100?

That's all it takes nowadays...

Squinky

Hey Puddin!

Thanks for the help there, that is awesome! It looks like a lot to digest, but doable. And I am kinda surprised you even remember Pirate Fry to be honest :)

Also MJL, I had no idea that all it took was some cash to get on steam. That changes a lot. Thanks. I thought you had to have it voted on or something?

Click'd

Not anymore. They killed off Steam Greenlight for the even worse Steam Direct.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/163632/

Squinky

Huh, well on one hand it's cool that it is attainable...But super weird that they require you to earn so much before you can earn than back.

Click'd

I guess it's supposed to deter people who make "games" just to get rich off of the trading cards.

Phemar

I would play the crap out of a 4th Pirate Fry if it were to come.

Frodo

Quote from: Squinky on Fri 15/12/2017 23:04:52
The only real route to an audience I see is to somehow get on Steam, which is beyond me I think.

Many of us don't like steam, since it's a form of DRM, so we don't touch games that are steam-only.
You'd be depriving yourself of a huge audience if you make your games steam-only.  :sad:

Making a website, and adding your games there so people can download them, is STILL the best way to go.  :wink:

doimus

erm... itch.io anyone?

It's just like Steam, only completely different.
In a sense that you get all the benefits of Steam, with almost no drawbacks. And no exposure, but that can be argued over even on Steam, so yeah...

Radiant

I'm sure that anyone who (incorrectly) considers Steam to be DRM would also consider Itch to be DRM :grin:  Or for that matter, IndieDB.

Anyway, you don't get a lot of exposure on either Steam or Itch, but both include forums and announcement channels, so you'll clearly get more there than on your personal website.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Frodo on Sun 24/12/2017 11:37:30
You'd be depriving yourself of a huge audience if you make your games steam-only.  :sad:

I'm no Steam apologist (and I do consider Steam DRM), but I would argue that the potential audience loss versus the potential audience exposure would entirely negate (perhaps many times over) the benefits of not using Steam. Like it or not, and I myself lean towards the not, Steam is the only realistic choice when it comes to commercial PC games. But by all means try and go through GOG and other DRM-free options, as well as using Steam, for those who wish to purchase games in this manner.

Wanting to provide a DRM-free option doesn't have to mean avoiding Steam altogether.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk