Dark Times: Merry Christmas

Started by Bizaron, Wed 20/12/2017 23:39:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Bizaron

Hi there folks, it's me again, the one with weird games :-X

I have quickly created a new short game called "Dark Times: Merry Christmas." It's a sad game about a small boy living in a wooden house with the rest of his family. It's Christmas night and his brother went outside to collect wood but didn't return yet. Find out what's going on!

I want to make "Dark Times" a regular (or irregular) series using mostly black and white (although deviations and special episodes might occur) economical graphics (The economical graphics is crucial because with it, I can gatling gun games - however, I still want them to have a strong atmosphere and/or original story/characters/whatever). The series will be dealing mostly with "dark" topics - but not all of them will be sad and depressive, some might be just creepy, crazy or simply twisted in a hardly descriptable way. If you people like it (or I get totally drowned into my inner universe), I might produce some full length games too.

CLICK ON THIS TEXT TO VIEW THE GAME

I am a f***ed up individual creating weird ass things because that gives me a strange sense of satisfaction.

Shadow1000

I played this last night. Graphically excellent; definitely sad and depressing.

Good job!

Bizaron

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 21/12/2017 18:53:47
I played this last night. Graphically excellent; definitely sad and depressing.

Good job!

Thank you very much :)
I am a f***ed up individual creating weird ass things because that gives me a strange sense of satisfaction.

KyriakosCH

Looks very stylish :)

I will try it sometime.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Bizaron

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 21/12/2017 20:12:58
Looks very stylish :)

I will try it sometime.

If you do, please give me a feedback, I have already downloaded your game but didn't give it a try yet :(

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release. (nod)

And yes, it sucks when you release a game and get no feedback. :-\ This forum needs to embrace the gamers (or attract more of these rare species), as most ppl here are usually busy with making their own games that they end end up having little to no free time to play other's games.

I'll give your game a play as soon as I find some time, no doubt about it. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Bizaron

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 21/12/2017 20:23:58
Congrats on the release. (nod)

And yes, it sucks when you release a game and get no feedback. :-\ This forum needs to embrace the gamers (or attract more of these rare species), as most ppl here are usually busy with making their own games that they end end up having little to no free time to play other's games.

I'll give your game a play as soon as I find some time, no doubt about it. (nod)

This is one of the reasons why I make mostly thirtyminuters instead of fulltimers. Btw it's strange, I am pretty sure that there is a much larger number of gamers than game creators out there, even the download numbers say so. Yet they probably don't even have accounts here on the forums, so they don't give us their feedback.

CyberUncleCat

I swear if someone from this forum ever commits suicide it will be because of your games.

Bizaron

Quote from: CyberUncleCat on Fri 22/12/2017 03:05:09
I swear if someone from this forum ever commits suicide it will be because of your games.

Well, can't deny that :-X

KyriakosCH

Can you provide a walkthrough? I am stuck:

Spoiler
I placed the heart under the tree. I can't light the stove. What to do now? I could be a doctor :=
Maybe i should go back to the corpse of the brother, to try to cut one hand, cause 'i wanted to help him' (laugh)
[close]

Bizaron

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 22/12/2017 15:00:00

Spoiler
I placed the heart under the tree. I can't light the stove. What to do now? I could be a doctor :=
Maybe i should go back to the corpse of the brother, to try to cut one hand, cause 'i wanted to help him' (laugh)
[close]

Read first:

Spoiler
You must give a present to you and your brother too, heart is just for your mummy :) Open the other spoiler if you want a complete walkthrough.
[close]

Ultimate WT:

Spoiler
Place the charcoal and the pot under the christmas tree to start your sad christmas celebration.
[close]

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Bizaron on Fri 22/12/2017 17:27:55
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 22/12/2017 15:00:00

Spoiler
[close]

Read first:

Spoiler
You must give a present to you and your brother too, heart is just for your mummy :) Open the other spoiler if you want a complete walkthrough.
[close]

Ultimate WT:

Spoiler
Place the charcoal and the pot under the christmas tree to start your sad christmas celebration.
[close]

Nice game :)
As you see, i even expected it to be darker :D

Bizaron

Thanks :) I might come with much darker games in the future, don't worry (laugh)

Cocodrillo

Graphics: 9/10
I really liked the black and white contrast of graphics, which did fit the atmosphere. The animated trees were my favourite. One point down is for the repetition of the trees, yet I understand that it was necessary to fast forward the game making process.

Dialogues/Dubbing: 6/10
It was quite obvious to me that both of the characters are dubbed by the same person, but it could be just for the fact that I know you. The characters did not persuade me that they are shocked when they were supposed to be shocked. There are not many characters in the game, so to critique the lack of dialogues is out of question. What annoyed me the most about this game was the fact that the player character repeated the same sentences over and over again. Yet again, I understand that it was necessary to finish quickly.

Game play/puzzles: 6/10
The game is quite straight-forward and simple, since its main focus is not on the difficulty, but rather on the story and atmosphere. The combination of items player obtains can be confusing to some
Spoiler
trying to put charcoal in the oven, cooking the bunny in the skillet...
[close]

Music: 10/10
The music was really fitting and contributed a great deal to the atmosphere. Especially the high, "scary" tones it sometimes played
Spoiler
(near the cottage)
[close]

Atmosphere: 10/10
Graphics, music and story together entangle well together, creating a gloomy, thrilling atmosphere. At one point I was really expecting something scary to happen and it made me vigilant
Spoiler
for no reason
[close]
Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind the most.

Bizaron

Ibispi

I've just finished the game and I enjoyed it, the voice acting in particular.
Just, uh, you could make the character move a bit faster. It takes him what seems like 2 years to move from one side of the screen to the other.

Bizaron

Quote from: Ibispi on Sat 30/12/2017 09:19:12
I've just finished the game and I enjoyed it, the voice acting in particular.
Just, uh, you could make the character move a bit faster. It takes him what seems like 2 years to move from one side of the screen to the other.

It's true that when outside, Billy moves like a f***ing snail, I might increase the speed by 1 to make it a little bit more bearable but still realistic.

CyberUncleCat

Are you using character sprite scalling in outside areas? If so then maybe try to set AdjustSpeedWithScaling to False in characters properties. Or next time use scrolling areas so it wont be "God he moves so slowwww" but "God this room is sooo big":).

Bizaron

Quote from: CyberUncleCat on Mon 01/01/2018 16:21:25
Are you using character sprite scalling in outside areas? If so then maybe try to set AdjustSpeedWithScaling to False in characters properties. Or next time use scrolling areas so it wont be "God he moves so slowwww" but "God this room is sooo big":).

Nn, I wanted to use that but the sprite turned out to be so ugly that I have rather created a special sprite for when Billy goes outside.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk