Moho Pro

Started by RickJ, Fri 29/12/2017 20:05:39

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJ

Moho Pro is currently on sale for 50% off and I'm seriously considering purchase.  In the past it's been highly recommended but I am wondering what the current thinking is.  If anyone has an opinion please share. Thanks.

Mehrdad

Hi Rick
Did you see Open Toonz? Most of great animations of Studio Gibili made with it.Sprited away ,....  Also Anastasia animation and some old Disney animations used complete this software.
That was so expensive but now it's FREE and OPEN SOURCE. It have all of Moho structures and many more.
https://opentoonz.github.io/
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

cat

Quote from: Mehrdad on Sat 30/12/2017 05:25:51
Did you see Open Toonz?

Considering that all documentation seems to be Japanese, this might not be for everyone. Granted, it's mostly Katakana and English and simple Japanese, but still, it's Japanese...

Ali

I bought Anime Studio 11 when it was 50% off (which I think was the version before they renamed it Moho) and was really disappointed by how badly designed it was. I used it to do the simple character animation for this Kickstarter, and I probably wouldn't use it again, unless the task were very specific: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adventurex/adventurex-2016-the-narrative-games-convention

Importing from svg or ai files was totally messed up. All the colours change, and because the software can't do weighted bezier curves, the actual nodes shift around to an approximation of what you drew. But not actually what you drew. This is particularly annoying when you've created nodes that are going to be a joint, and those nodes disappear. There is also no integrated lipsynch, and the freeware app they've created doesn't consider "Thh" to be a phoneme.

Most infuriatingly, when I raised these issues on forums, the responses were all in defence of the software. "Oh, you just have to do all your drawing in Anime Studio from scratch." No! Its drawing tools are terrible and it claims to have .ai import. It should work!

Perhaps they've fixed these quite basic issues for version 12.

OpenToonz has some serious stability issues for me, but I'm very impressed with other aspects of it. And I've found english docs for everything I've needed to look up. The lack of an English user-base is a bigger issue.

Mehrdad

Quote from: cat on Sat 30/12/2017 09:35:59

Considering that all documentation seems to be Japanese, this might not be for everyone. Granted, it's mostly Katakana and English and simple Japanese, but still, it's Japanese...

you can use Toonz Harlequin or Toonz Premium documents and tutorials instead. It's 90% similar to OpenToonz.
https://www.toonzpremium.com/
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

RickJ

Thanks for the input.  I decided to checkout opentoonz first and delay Moho until the next sale or longer.

Phemar

I use Moho a fair bit, but probably not in the way it was meant to be used. I like just drawing simple vector images (like this) and the program's quite easy to use once you get the hang of it. It is missing a few features that would be real handy though, and I've been told I should switch to something like Illustrator. Maybe one day :D (btw, I'm still using v5 of Moho, so this review might be a bit out of date.)

JoelMayer

I use MoHo for a lot of the commercial and corporate animated films i do at my dayjob. It's weird for the first few days but once you got the hang of it, you pretty much know the entire software. The only thing left is, when you want to do some advanced rigging stuff but that's the same in any rig-based software ;) Luckily by now there are a lot and quite nice tutorials out there for MoHo.

Just one thing: the team that originally developed MoHo including the original programmer and inventor, have been laid off last year. They've been substituted by outsourced teams and development of the software slowed down considerably since then. It's really a huge shame, since it was all looking very bright and development and bug fixes were very frequent.

The only other 2D Animation software i kinda like is Toon Boom but if you're interested in Vector-Rigbased characters, nothing comes close to Moho.

Hope this helps ;)

RickJ

Thank you Joel.  Your comments are very helpful.  Vector based stuff is really the only viable option for me.  I'm  an engineer not an artist, so dragging points around, etc come easily.  I can get artistic help to help flesh out details and then go from there.

Thanks
Rick

Fitz

I've rushed into that 50% off trap with MOHO Debut last year. My bad. They'll brag about how Pro supports 4K - but they won't tell you outright that for some inexplicable reason the Debut version limits exported videos to 480p. Are you friggin kidding me?! I've only done a small animation with it before abandoning it completely. Also, it seems like they have these 50% off discounts every other week. No thanks! Might trick me once... >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk