AGS Awards 2017 - Results!

Started by cat, Mon 01/01/2018 09:06:45

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Welcome to the AGS Awards, the event where the you, the player, choose the best games of the year!

Step # 0 - play them games!
You have some time to play games made in 2017. Do it!
Step # 1 - nomination time!
Select games you deem worthy in each category!
Step # 2 - vote, folks!
Pick from the nominees and we get a winner!

Step # 3 - party!
Big party to celebrate the winners!

Results are revealed!

Best Programming
Last & Furious

Best Short Game
I Want Out!

Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS
Last & Furious

Best Demo
Jorry [Demo]

Best Voice Work
Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots

Best Music & Sound
Neofeud

Best Animation
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Character Art
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Background Art
I Want Out!

Best Puzzles
I Want Out!
Black Morph
Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots)

Best Gameplay
Black Morph

Best Character
"Captain Disaster" from Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots

Best Writing
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Freeware Game Created with AGS
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Game Created with AGS
A Tale of Two Kingdoms: Deluxe Edition

Lifetime Achievement Award
Slasher

Best Innovation Award
monkey0506
for his work to help AGS games reach the widest possible audience - through popular distribution platforms (Steam, Galaxy) as well as other operating systems (Android, Linux).

A bit of statistics

There were 106 games released last year
49 people nominated games
68 people voted for the awards, which is more than last year
24 games were nominated for at least one award
8 games won 17 awards in 15 categories
12 awards went to freeware games

The number of awards per game:

4 awards
Terror of the Vampire!

3 awards
I Want Out!

2 awards
Black Morph
Last & Furious

1 award
Neofeud
Jorry [Demo]

See the nominated games on the wiki page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/AGS_Awards_2017

Here is a list of the games sorted by nomination count (thanks CaptainD!):
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55659.msg636581039#msg636581039

And here are the nomination results per category (thanks JimRead for putting them in order)
Spoiler

Best Programming

Black Morph
Kanji Gakusei
Last & Furious
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Short Game

Archeos
Black Morph
Hang On
I Want Out!
Memories Fade

AGS Cycles
Astron
Dungeon Hands
Last & Furious
Pickpocket RPG

Best Demo

Detective Gallo
Dysmaton (Formerly "Forgotten City") Demo Version
Jorry [Demo]
SRAM 2 - Cinomeh's Revenge (demo)
Stable Pete and the Joust (DEMO)

Best Voice Work

10 Ways From Sunday
Neofeud
Rat Channel

Best Music & Sound

Neofeud
Unexpected at the Rising Star

Best Animation

Black Morph
Jorry [Demo]
Legend of Hand
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Character Art

I Want Out!
Legend of Hand
Neofeud
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Background Art

Black Morph
I Want Out!
Neofeud
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Puzzles

Black Morph
I Want Out!
Legend of Hand

Best Gameplay

Black Morph
Last & Furious
Legend of Hand

Best Character

"Captain Disaster" from "Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots"
"Dr. Ego Goodmind" from "Terror of the Vampire!"
"Karl Carbon" from "Neofeud"
"Luke" from "I Want Out!"

Best Writing

Legend of Hand
Neofeud
Terror of the Vampire!

Archeos
Black Morph
I Want Out!
Last & Furious
Terror of the Vampire!

Legend of Hand
Neofeud
Terror of the Vampire!

[close]

Congratulations!

How do the AGS Awards work?
(This is information mostly for new members, same procedure as every year)

Every year, the AGS community embarks on a quest to find the best games made in the last year. All games are eligible, that were added to the AGS Database in the year 2017. There is a For Your Consideration thread where authors can promote their games and players get a good overview what might be worth playing.

The awards are a two-step process: First there is a nomination phase where all community members can nominate the eligible games in several categories (it will be the same categories as last year). The top five games of each category make it to the voting. Again, all members of the community can vote on their favourite games.
The final result is then announced in a live ceremony that can be joined either with a special client or any regular irc client (details to follow).

Party like it's 1990 in this thread!

cat

Nominations will start soon!

Game makers: Make sure you add your game to the For Your Consideration thread. You should add it before nominations start!

Players: Play the eligible games! A good starting point is the For Your Consideration thread or the AGS Database.

cat

Nominations are open!

Use the link in the the forum banner to select the games you deem worthy in each category.

There are a few innovations this year (thanks AGA!):

• Your nominations can be edited, no need to redo it all
  • When you select a game, a screenshot and link to the database will appear
  • When there is a draw, the time of the nominations will count (first nominated one wins).

Nominations will close on 10/02/2018 at 13:59.

Cassiebsg

Awesome innovations! Thanks for doing them! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Question from a YouTuber I chatted to earlier - is it okay for him to stream / record the awards ceremony?  Any objections / any rules about doing this?  Can't remember if the question has come up before.

cat

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 22/01/2018 14:17:41
Question from a YouTuber I chatted to earlier - is it okay for him to stream / record the awards ceremony?  Any objections / any rules about doing this?  Can't remember if the question has come up before.
I don't see any objections. Last year's ceremony was recorded and uploaded by Gurok, and so were the previous years recorded by someone. I might also pastebin the chatlog this year. It would be best if he contacted Snarky before the event, because he is the one responsible for the client.

Quote from: via PM
I wanted to ask if I can nominate my own game. Is it allowed? (laugh)
Yes, it is allowed, if you think your game did well in that category. Please don't nominate your (or actually any game) in every category right away but for the categories where you think it is really good at.

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Mon 22/01/2018 15:25:26
Quote from: via PM
I wanted to ask if I can nominate my own game. Is it allowed? (laugh)
Yes, it is allowed, if you think your game did well in that category. Please don't nominate your (or actually any game) in every category right away but for the categories where you think it is really good at.
Good to know, thanks for this. :-D

KyriakosCH

Great! :-D

I started nominating games (4 by now..., in 5 categories). Will have to play a few more to complete as many categories as possible :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

cat

Just for your info: it is not necessary to nominate 10 games in each category. If you only want to nominate for example 3 games for best voice acting, that's okay as well :)

Cassiebsg

Is there a technical reason why some games don't show the picture when selected, even though they do have pictures uploaded into the database?
I thought I would use the feature to quickly remind me of the game and BGs, but noticed that a lot don't show the picture. :~( Oh well, at there's the link. :-D

KyriakosCH

Quote from: cat on Tue 23/01/2018 17:40:21
Just for your info: it is not necessary to nominate 10 games in each category. If you only want to nominate for example 3 games for best voice acting, that's okay as well :)

I noticed that. Up to now I only nominated 1 game per category :)

AGA

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 23/01/2018 18:00:55
Is there a technical reason why some games don't show the picture when selected, even though they do have pictures uploaded into the database?
I thought I would use the feature to quickly remind me of the game and BGs, but noticed that a lot don't show the picture. :~( Oh well, at there's the link. :-D

The images were marked as broken by some naughty people.  I have fixed the 'broken' images, so the thumbnails now load.

Cassiebsg

cat

A few people have already nominated!

However, one of the commercial adventure games got some votes for "Best Freeware Game", "Best Short Game" and "Best Non-Adventure Game". While I appreciate the enthusiasm regarding nomination, please only nominate games for the categories that apply ;)

cat

Only one more week! Don't forget to nominate ;)

Cassiebsg

Edit by cat: Moved this here to keep the FYC thread clean:

Quote from: Texmurphy78 on Sun 04/02/2018 20:05:28
Detective Gallo

- For your consideration

Possible Awards:
Best Game created with AGS
Best Writing
Best Character
Best Gameplay
Best Puzzles
Best Background Art
Best Character Art
Best Animation
Best Music & Sound
Best Voice Work
Best Demo
Best Programming

Since the game isn't released yet, I believe you're only eligible for best demo... but maybe I'm wrong?

cat

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 04/02/2018 20:11:24
Since the game isn't released yet, I believe you're only eligible for best demo... but maybe I'm wrong?
No, it is eligible for the other awards as well. The The Journey of Iesir Demo was nominated for several awards last year, but only won best demo.

CaptainD

Quote from: cat on Mon 05/02/2018 13:18:37
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 04/02/2018 20:11:24
No, it is eligible for the other awards as well. The The Journey of Iesir Demo was nominated for several awards last year, but only won best demo.

Ah yes I remember that (I was gutted for Dan that he didn't win "Best Background Art" but the competition was really tough!).  I would expect that "Best Game created with AGS" is out of bounds for a demo though?

Gallo's art is lovely, wouldn't be surprised to see it get a nomination or two... or three or more!

Cassiebsg

Okay then... though to me doesn't make sense, so to me any demo is only eligible in the demo category. The The Journey of Iesir Demo is a bit different since it's a canceled game making the demo the final product (unfortunate).

Anyway, since it's just me, never mind, I'm a "special" person with weird ideas most of the time. (laugh) (roll)

Now back to your regular schedule of For your consideration topic.... 

EDIT: Thanks for moving the topic. ;-D

Stupot

I think I mostly agree with Cassie. It's not very likely but I can imagine a scenario where a demo was good enough to win a bunch of other non-demo awards, like best animation, BG art, best story etc. only to then win all the same awards in the same categories for basically the same content the following year.

Gurok

I've nominated, but I'm still being told I haven't. When I open the nomination form, my previous entries are all filled out, so I assume something's been saved.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

cat

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 05/02/2018 22:42:17
It's not very likely but I can imagine a scenario where a demo was good enough to win a bunch of other non-demo awards, like best animation, BG art, best story etc. only to then win all the same awards in the same categories for basically the same content the following year.
Then this game shouldn't be allowed either - it is the same game but with improvements for writing, graphics, voice acting etc.

Short games, non-adventure and freeware games are all allowed for Best Game and the art categories.
I find it difficult to set limitations here. If you don't want to nominate a game, then simply don't do it.

Cassiebsg

Yeah, I've been having a hard time figuring where the Deluxe version fits to be honest... Mostly cause I never played (or even seen) the previous version, so I really don't know how much new content there is. In my mind it should be game for anything that is new content: BGs and animations suffered touch ups? Yes. (nod) New voice? (nod) New lines and stuff? (nod) But again, It's hard when you don't know the previous incarnation and what exactly was improved/changed. :-[

And I wouldn't exclude any from any category, we already don't do that. I can nominate a demo for best game if I want... To be able to exclude, the list we can choose from should already exclude all non applicable... As in the non-adventure games the drop-down would only show those that are non-adventure, the demo one would only show demos, etc... That isn't the case (though we could, if in the game settings we could choose the categories that the game has... as a check box if it's a demo, a check-box for voice acting (already there), a check box for music and sfx, for non-adventure, etc... so that when generating the list of game for nomination half the work was already done for us, and it would be hard to "misplace" a game in the wrong category ;) ).

So at the end of the day is up to those doing the FYC thread to suggest the category(s) their game might fit in, and those nominating and casting their votes to decide.

cat

*bump*

Nominations close this Saturday at 13:59 GMT! Don't forget to cast your votes before it is too late :)

AGA

Quote from: Gurok on Mon 05/02/2018 23:07:53
I've nominated, but I'm still being told I haven't. When I open the nomination form, my previous entries are all filled out, so I assume something's been saved.

Should be fixed now?

KyriakosCH

Nominated a couple more, though only from those i have played, which in total seems to have been 6 or 7 games from 2017... Financial situation is dire, so 7 is not as bad as it sounds :=

cat

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 08/02/2018 20:23:02
Financial situation is dire, so 7 is not as bad as it sounds :=
There are tons of freeware games - there is still some time to play a few of them.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: cat on Thu 08/02/2018 20:53:10
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 08/02/2018 20:23:02
Financial situation is dire, so 7 is not as bad as it sounds :=
There are tons of freeware games - there is still some time to play a few of them.

Oh, the issue is time. Freelance translating means i have to be out on the look for euros (nod)

Creamy

I 'm thankful for the hard work of the people behind the ceremony but this monstrous form is really off-putting.

I couldn't find how to stay logged on indefinitely so I crossed my finges and filled it.
It's only when I clicked on the "submit" button - about one hour later - that I knew that I had been disconnected >:(

Is there really no way to put the categories on different pages?

KyriakosCH

^You can list some in one go and then list more, afaik as many times as you want to. At least i hope it works (it did for my two tries, but who knows until we see the code := := := )

cat

@Creamy:
I'm sorry you experienced such inconvenience. KyriakosCH is right, you don't have to do the nominations in one go. Just fill in one category and submit, then do the next. Your votes will be stored and should re-appear when you open the form again.

AGA

Quote from: Creamy on Thu 08/02/2018 21:15:08
Is there really no way to put the categories on different pages?

"Really no way"?  Of course it's possible, but I've never seen anyone even suggest it before!

However, I think people would find clicking through 20 pages to vote just as annoying...

Oh, and click 'stay logged in indefinitely' or somesuch when you log in to stay logged in.

Creamy

QuoteJust fill in one category and submit, then do the next. Your votes will be stored and should re-appear when you open the form again.

QuoteOh, and click 'stay logged in indefinitely' or somesuch when you log in to stay logged in.

All right, that's just me being stupid. Will do.

Gurok

Quote from: AGA on Thu 08/02/2018 19:19:37
Quote from: Gurok on Mon 05/02/2018 23:07:53

Should be fixed now?

Yes, it's fixed now. Thanks for that! I wasn't sure if I'd missed something.

cat

Only a few hours left!

Only the top 5 games of each category will be nominated and they need to have at least five votes each. If the required number of votes is not met, there could be less than 5 nominees for a category.

SilverSpook

Everyone immediately vote for Captain Disaster, and simultaneously open a category for most sci-fi references in a p-n-c adventure game. :)

Cassiebsg

What do you mean by "Only the top 5 games of each category" ??

Hope you mean the 5 most nominated in each category (but with a minimum of 5 votes)... And not the order in which they are nominated...
You can select up to ten nominations for each of the categories below; the order you enter them is not significant,

cat

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 09/02/2018 20:40:59
Hope you mean the 5 most nominated in each category (but with a minimum of 5 votes)... And not the order in which they are nominated...

Yes, of course. The order does not matter. Sorry if it was not clear.

CaptainD

Quote from: SilverSpook on Fri 09/02/2018 20:34:33
Everyone immediately vote for Captain Disaster, and simultaneously open a category for most sci-fi references in a p-n-c adventure game. :)

I second this notion!! (laugh)

KyriakosCH

Isn't a minimum of "5 votes" for actual Nomination a bit unrealistic?
I think it would make far more sense to have a minimum of nominated options, tbh. Nominating is NOT voting for the game.

Jack

Quote from: cat on Fri 09/02/2018 20:10:18
Only the top 5 games of each category will be nominated and they need to have at least five votes each. If the required number of votes is not met, there could be less than 5 nominees for a category.

Is this new?

Hobo

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 10/02/2018 11:05:15
Probably not for most categories, at least I have faith that the community is more active than that. And hopefully this decision is based on statistics from previous years.

Anyway, I managed to fill up almost all of the categories. Lots of good games this year again, a few clear favourites for me, but in some cases it was very hard to decide, which ones to keep in or leave out.

KyriakosCH

I think it isn't a good idea at all. Furthermore, we weren't told it was going to be a voting contest to just have a game nominated.
Anyway, it seems my game won't give me the fame and money i deserve, afterall :=

Snarky

Quote from: Jack on Sat 10/02/2018 11:38:15
Is this new?

No, it's been like this since... forever, apparently (lots of categories with only 3 or 4 nominees in the 2001 Awards). It has often meant there have been less than 5 nominees for Best NPC, Best Sound Effects or Best Demo, for example.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 10/02/2018 13:31:24
I think it isn't a good idea at all. Furthermore, we weren't told it was going to be a voting contest to just have a game nominated.
Anyway, it seems my game won't give me the fame and money i deserve, afterall :=

It's tacky to complain about the rules mid-way through the process. If you think they should be changed, make a proposal for next year.

NicolaGs

we weren't told it was going to be a voting contest to just have a game nominated.
We were, KyriakosCH...

Quote from first post :
QuoteStep # 0 - play them games!
You have some time to play games made in 2017. Do it!
Step # 1 - nomination time!
Select games you deem worthy in each category!

Step # 2 - vote, folks!
Pick from the nominees and we get a winner!
Step # 3 - party!
Big party to celebrate the winners!
My first game : I Want Out!

Jack

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 10/02/2018 14:08:27
No, it's been like this since... forever, apparently (lots of categories with only 3 or 4 nominees in the 2001 Awards). It has often meant there have been less than 5 nominees for Best NPC, Best Sound Effects or Best Demo, for example.

Right, but is it new that games with fewer than 5 nominations gets thrown out?

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Jack on Sat 10/02/2018 14:33:16

This :)

Personally i think it doesn't make sense, given getting to be an option to be voted upon means just that; it doesn't mean you won. So it seems overkill to have to get 5 votes as a nomination, so that the game can be then voted upon.
Yet i agree it is just fun, so no hard feelings obviously. Just noted i wasn't aware one needed 5 votes as a nomination to be allowed to be in the games then to be voted upon for anything (nod)

Snarky

Quote from: Jack on Sat 10/02/2018 14:33:16

I don't know how to make it any clearer: No.

cat

Nominations are over

A huge thank you to everyone who took the time to play and nominate the games.

The nominated games will be announced soon once the votes have been counted.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 10/02/2018 11:05:15
I think it would make far more sense to have a minimum of nominated options, tbh. Nominating is NOT voting for the game.
No, I don't think so. Many people participated in the nomination process and everyone could nominate up to 10 different games for each category.
The goal of the nominations is to create a shortlist of the best games in each category. If not even 5 people thought a game stood out in a certain category, then probably it didn't.

Furthermore, we weren't told it was going to be a voting contest to just have a game nominated.
Of course you were - it's in the first post:
Quote from: cat on Mon 01/01/2018 09:06:45
The awards are a two-step process: First there is a nomination phase where all community members can nominate the eligible games in several categories (it will be the same categories as last year). The top five games of each category make it to the voting. Again, all members of the community can vote on their favourite games.
The final result is then announced in a live ceremony that can be joined either with a special client or any regular irc client (details to follow).

And Snarky is right: The rules can be discussed and changed - but only for next year's awards. For now, we stick to the rules of last year (and most years before that)

AGA

There are more than enough nominations in almost every category every year.  And yes, it's almost always been that it's five votes minimum.  If fewer people than that nominate a game, is it really deserving of being called award winning, or just the best of a bad bunch?

cat

Votes are counted!

The results will be revealed in a casual irc ceremony tonight at 20:00 GMT.
Join us in #ags on irc.adventuregamestudio.co.uk with the irc client of your choice.

cat

Join us in #ags on irc.adventuregamestudio.co.uk with the irc client of your choice.

CaptainD

Congrats to all the nominees - some great games this year.  The voting is going to be very close I think.

Thanks for hosting! 

cat

Here are the nomination results (thanks JimRead for putting them in order)

Best Programming

Black Morph
Kanji Gakusei
Last & Furious
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Short Game

Archeos
Black Morph
Hang On
I Want Out!
Memories Fade

AGS Cycles
Astron
Dungeon Hands
Last & Furious
Pickpocket RPG

Best Demo

Detective Gallo
Jorry [Demo]

Best Voice Work

10 Ways From Sunday
Neofeud
Rat Channel

Best Music & Sound

Neofeud

Best Animation

Black Morph
Jorry [Demo]
Legend of Hand
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Character Art

I Want Out!
Legend of Hand
Neofeud
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Background Art

Black Morph
I Want Out!
Neofeud
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Puzzles

Black Morph
I Want Out!
Legend of Hand

Best Gameplay

Black Morph
Last & Furious
Legend of Hand

Best Character

"Captain Disaster" from "Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots"
"Dr. Ego Goodmind" from "Terror of the Vampire!"
"Karl Carbon" from "Neofeud"
"Luke" from "I Want Out!"

Best Writing

Legend of Hand
Neofeud
Terror of the Vampire!

Archeos
Black Morph
I Want Out!
Last & Furious
Terror of the Vampire!

Legend of Hand
Neofeud
Terror of the Vampire!

Congratulations!

KyriakosCH

Well done to those who got 5 votes (nod)(nod)(nod)(nod)(nod)
I know some of the games, and thankfully one of those i voted for ended in (Memories fade). (actually two; Last and Furious as well := )

Stupot

Congrats to the nominees.

Still a few there I haven't played yet. When does the voting proper begin (and end)?

Gurok

Congratulations everyone who got nominated!

I'm a little sad that the Smallest Points missed out on a nomination. Oh well.

Second to Stupot's question, is it too early to ask when the awards ceremony is going to be held? Are we using that pick-a-time tool again? We could do that at the same time as voting.

LimpingFish

Congratulations to all those nom'd!

Nice variety of titles, a few expected, but with some surprises. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

cat

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 11/02/2018 23:59:11
Still a few there I haven't played yet. When does the voting proper begin (and end)?
Quote from: Gurok on Mon 12/02/2018 00:16:37
Second to Stupot's question, is it too early to ask when the awards ceremony is going to be held? Are we using that pick-a-time tool again? We could do that at the same time as voting.

Voting will run from 13/02 to 07/03.
There will be a voting about the ceremony date. I'll set up a poll soon (I need to check with Snarky first, when the client will be ready).

Radiant

Danvzare

Congratulations everyone who got nominated! :-D
There's a nice diverse list this year.

CaptainD

In case anyone's interested, these are the nominees sorted by number of nominations:

Terror of the Vampire!   

Black Morph   
Neofeud   

I Want Out!   
Legend of Hand   

Last & Furious   

Archeos   
Jorry [Demo]   

Kanji Gakusei   
Hang On   
Memories Fade   
AGS Cycles   
Astron   
Dungeon Hands   
Pickpocket RPG   
Detective Gallo   
10 Ways From Sunday   
Rat Channel   

24 different games nominated in total.  As Danzare mentioned, a fantastic diversity of titles!  Almost a quarter of the eligible games got a nomination for something, and let's not forget that there are some quality games that didn't quite make it to a nomination.

The AGS community is awesome ;-D

Danvzare

*When you see a game that you nominated, only got one nomination.* (roll)

CaptainD

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 12/02/2018 12:27:31

... it means at least 4 other people nominated the same game in the same category, no? :cheesy:

cat

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 12/02/2018 12:30:21
Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 12/02/2018 12:27:31

... it means at least 4 other people nominated the same game in the same category, no? :cheesy:
Absolutely!

And thanks CaptainD for compiling the list by nomination count, I linked it in the first post. This is useful to see which games you have yet to play before voting.
Lots of different games got nominated. And while a few games got nominated for many categories, nomination count varied for each category. This means people did not blindly nominate one game in every category but really thought about which game to nominate. Thanks for that!

Riaise

Whaaat?! I can't believe it! Thank you so much to everyone who nominated Memories Fade, it really means a lot to see it there amongst all those other amazing games! :-D

Congratulations to all of the other nominees! ;-D

EDIT: Yaaaay! And now I have one of those nice shiny icons below my username! :-D :-D :-D

Cassiebsg

Hey, just like to thanks those that thought my little games were worth a nomination. (nod) :-D

And congrats to all nominees. :)

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Riaise on Mon 12/02/2018 13:29:30
Whaaat?! I can't believe it! Thank you so much to everyone who nominated Memories Fade, it really means a lot to see it there amongst all those other amazing games! :-D

Congratulations to all of the other nominees! ;-D

EDIT: Yaaaay! And now I have one of those nice shiny icons below my username! :-D :-D :-D

I am happy your game is there. I plan to vote for it again in the actual vote (nod)

I am sad, by contrast, that Joe's miserable life didn't get enough nominations (it got mine).

cat

AGA updated the wiki page:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/AGS_Awards_2017

You can see all nominees there with a link to the database entry.

Cassiebsg

Ahm... cat, the Best character is messed up

â€" Dr. Ego Goodmind is from Terror of the Vampire! no Capt.Disaster
And then all the others characters need to "jump" one place up to fit their games... 8-0

Edit:
And Last & Furious should be Crimson Wizard & JimReed ;)

EDIT2:

As much flattered as I am... Unexepected wasn't nominated for best voice, Rat Channel was.
At least that what you posted on irc and on the post above...

FireFlower

Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

Creamy

Wow...seven nominations! 8-0 8-0 8-0 8-0

Thank you, morphing enthusiasts.

SilverSpook

Congrats everyone on the nominations! Thanks to everyone who voted for Neofeud. :) I blame its seven nominations on the fact that no Wadjet Eye games were released this year! Hahahahahahahahahahadavegetunavoweddonehahahahahahahahaha!

Riaise

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 12/02/2018 19:16:46
I am happy your game is there. I plan to vote for it again in the actual vote (nod)

:-*

selmiak

I can only echo Creamy here, WOW 7 FREAKING NOMINATIONS FOR BLACK MORPH! Thanks everyone that nominated this nice little game! :D (laugh) 8-0 8-)

Congrats to all other nominated games and authors... ;-D

NicolaGs

I came here with no real expectation.
Now, thanks to you, dear voters, I'm feeling a bit anxious... 8-0

:-D.

Thank you and congrats to all the nominees... ;)

xBRANEx

I don't get it. I've nominated Robolovers. :(

One can't nominate his own game?

Cassiebsg

I've also nominated Robolovers in more than one category, but takes at least 5 ppl to nominate it in the same category, plus then it needs to in the top 5 of the nominated... so it might have ended as 6th place nomination in a category or two.

CaptainD

What Cassie said - there are a lot of good games that do miss out every year, not because they're bad games or that people don't like them, but just because don't get as many votes as some other games.  With over a hundred games released last year that were made with AGS, there was a lot of competition! 

Looking at the excellent user ratings your game got I would say that you probably missed out very narrowly!

CaptainD

Anyone else getting an error message about not being Admin when they try to vote?

cat

Voting has started! Use the link in the forum banner and vote for your favourite games!

@xBRANEx Cassiebsg and CaptainD are right - only the 5 games with most nominations per category get nominated.

SilverSpook

Quote from: cat on Tue 13/02/2018 19:05:00
Voting has started! Use the link in the forum banner and vote for your favourite games!

@xBRANEx Cassiebsg and CaptainD are right - only the 5 games with most nominations per category get nominated.

Hm, the link appears to only let admins through.

cat

Should be working now - can you please try it?

xBRANEx

Oh, I get it, sorry! None of the games I nominated are in the poll, though. Will have to find one to vote for!

CaptainD

Unexpected at the Rising Star is listed for Best Voicework but I don't think this is correct (much as I would love it to be!).

Ibispi

I noticed that Archeos is in the 'best background art' category for voting. But it wasn't so for the nominations, Neofeud was there instead. I mean, I don't mind it (and Fantome Bleu doesn't - he drew the backgrounds) but it seems like an error.

AGA

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 13/02/2018 22:02:00
Unexpected at the Rising Star is listed for Best Voicework but I don't think this is correct (much as I would love it to be!).

Quote from: Ibispi on Tue 13/02/2018 22:09:18
I noticed that Archeos is in the 'best background art' category for voting. But it wasn't so for the nominations, Neofeud was there instead. I mean, I don't mind it (and Fantome Bleu doesn't - he drew the backgrounds) but it seems like an error.

Thanks for the honesty, both.  I've fixed them both, and double checked all the possible votes against the top nominees.

KyriakosCH

Voted :)

As a rule, i only would vote for games i actually played. Almost all my nominations were on games i played too -- only exception was Last and Furious, but it was in a special category as well 8-)

shaun9991

Thanks so much guys for nominating Legend of Hand in so many categories! :)

It's an honour to be among so many great games :D
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Arlann

Thanks for these nominations for Jorry, is very encouraging.
Congratulations to all and good luck!

Pilchard

Thanks for the nod to Hang On for Best Short Game, any of you who voted for that! I'm honoured, and it was a nice surprise to find out from Chicky over Discord the other day.

m0ds

Good luck! And hey, if you don't win, remember, you can just update your game next year into a "deluxe" version, give it a new db page and enter it again (wtf) (laugh)

Fizzii

Quote from: MJL on Sun 18/02/2018 14:08:32
Good luck! And hey, if you don't win, remember, you can just update your game next year into a "deluxe" version, give it a new db page and enter it again (wtf) (laugh)
To be fair, ATOTK doesn't even set this precedent - Technobabylon was also a remake.

This sort of comment dismisses the amount of effort we put into updating the game - with organising voice recording and editing, painting several backgrounds from scratch, redoing many many sprite frames and adding in extra animations, rewriting of the script, and not to mention reprogramming it all (especially with the updated background layouts, and all the wandering NPCs and different actions that occur on the same screen(s) at different points in time, this isn't trivial). We didn't make the Deluxe edition for the purpose of winning AGS awards either - we did it because we felt the game deserved an update and also needed one to be fit for a commercial release.

Also, in the For Your Consideration thread, you may have noticed that Radiant didn't ask to be nominated in every category (and I certainly didn't nominate for more than what he listed, and I put down a bunch of other games too). Getting nominated in so many categories was very much a surprise for us, so we are happy that the broader AGS community is supportive of the game.

Good luck to all that are nominated! There are certainly many interesting games on the list :)

Snarky

(This note refers to a now-deleted post.)

How to treat remakes/deluxe versions is a difficult question, and I can see both sides of the issue there. Might be worth having a debate about for next year's awards. Derailing the thread into direct personal attacks is clearly unacceptable. There will be a moderator discussion. Please leave personal animosities out of this thread. Thanks!

cat

Ceremony Date and Time Poll

Once the votes are counted, we want to award the games Oscars-style. Let's decide on a date and time for the ceremony!

We need a bit of time to update the awards client. So the ceremony will happen on the weekend 23-25 of March.

Please add your preferences for date and time to this doodle poll using your forum name (you can also choose "ifneedsbe" for a time)
https://doodle.com/poll/9rtubmsievcmvqbq
I hope the time zone is shown correctly for you.

And remember, we still need help with the client:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55641.0

cat

There is a strong tendency towards March 24 (Sat) from 20:00 to 23:00 GMT. Unless this changes significantly in the next few days, our ceremony will happen then.

SilverSpook

Yeah 20:00 GMT is fine!

Privateer Puddin'

Isn't that starting at 10 AM for Hawaii? Will be 4am for me in Hong Kong

edit: you changed your reply :)

cat

I know it is an inconvenient time for a few people. The problem is, we are an international community. For someone it will always be in the middle of the night...

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: cat on Mon 26/02/2018 09:50:31
I know it is an inconvenient time for a few people. The problem is, we are an international community. For someone it will always be in the middle of the night...

No it's fine - It's why I didn't enter a time because I knew I'm in the minority :)

Snarky

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Sun 25/02/2018 21:05:40
Will be 4am for me in Hong Kong

Given that it usually runs for almost 3 hours, you might be able to at least catch the "Best Game" presentation at the end, if you get up early at 6:30 or so.

Privateer Puddin'

It's fine, I only mentioned it because SilverSpook's original post had the wrong time for Hawaii :D

cat

Alright, since there are no more votes in the poll, let's finish the doodle. The ceremony will be held on March 24 (Sat) at 20:00 GMT. Details about the client will follow.

In the meantime, there is still time to play the games and vote. And because the ceremony will happen that late, the voting period has been extended - more time for you to play all games and vote :)

Stupot

Oh damn. I won't be able to participate. I work first thing on a Sunday morning here.

I could try to get up early and join the first hour but I think rather than get a ‘where are you?' phone call from Mandle for a third straight year, it's better to officially rule myself out and hand over MAGGIES presenting honors to someone who will definitely be present.

CaptainD

Just a small point - clocks change on Sunday 25th March so awards ceremony will still be BST not GMT.

cat

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 27/02/2018 10:00:09
Just a small point - clocks change on Sunday 25th March so awards ceremony will still be BST not GMT.

Huh? Don't you mean the other way round?

CaptainD

Quote from: cat on Tue 27/02/2018 12:14:01

Huh? Don't you mean the other way round?

Er... yes, that's what I meant. :-[(roll)

Danvzare

Oh my... this could get confusing.
At least for me. (laugh)

CaptainD

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 27/02/2018 13:37:24
Oh my... this could get confusing.
At least for me. (laugh)

My attempts to clear up the confusion have only added to the confusion... I'm sure I rather unintentionally styled Captain Disaster on myself!

paolo

AGA

A useful link for anyone in doubt.  cat, I added this to the first post.

cat

Thanks for the link! I'll also post a reminder here before the ceremony starts.

cat

This is a quick reminder to vote! In a few categories it is VERY close at the moment, so every vote counts!

CaptainD

Quote from: cat on Wed 07/03/2018 19:21:59
This is a quick reminder to vote! In a few categories it is VERY close at the moment, so every vote counts!

May I just say in behalf of everyone nominated...

EEK!

cat

Aaaaaand we are done with that - voting is over! Thanks to everyone who played the games and voted ;-D

Now everyone prepare for the ceremony this Saturday evening - details to follow. Would be nice if you could dress up your avatars again this year ;)

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Mon 19/03/2018 19:56:46
Would be nice if you could dress up your avatars again this year ;)
Done. :-D
I still can't find my trousers though. :-\

Tabata

Quote from: cat on Mon 19/03/2018 19:56:46
... Would be nice if you could dress up your avatars again this year ;)

Hey cat, I searched thru my dresser and found an old outfit from looong ago. Would this be more appropriate than my disco-outfit? 

Snarky

BTW, I'd like to do a beta test of the client this Thursday at 21:00 UTC. Not sure how complete it will be by then, but some testing is better than no testing!

If you have a chance to join in, I'd appreciate it. I'll upload a test build some time Thursday. (At the moment it's a 200+ MB download compressed, and almost 900 MB when expanded.)

cat

Quote from: Tabata on Tue 20/03/2018 19:59:07
Would this be more appropriate than my disco-outfit?
You should wear what you think is best to party!

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 20/03/2018 20:25:40
BTW, I'd like to do a beta test of the client this Thursday at 21:00 UTC.
That's great! I hope a few people will join.

Danvzare

(At the moment it's a 200+ MB download compressed, and almost 900 MB when expanded.)
Oh my. :shocked: Was it that big last year? I could've sworn it was less than a quarter that size.

selmiak

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 21/03/2018 12:39:31
(At the moment it's a 200+ MB download compressed, and almost 900 MB when expanded.)
Oh my. :shocked: Was it that big last year? I could've sworn it was less than a quarter that size.
there might be some awesome animations that eat up lots of space.... ;)

Stupot

Will someone be recoring the event?
I gotsta see it.

Gurok

Yes! Stu, I'll be recording it and uploading it to YouTube shortly after. I heard someone might be streaming it this year too.

Snarky

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 21/03/2018 12:39:31

It was slightly over 500 MB last year. There are a lot of new graphics and music tracks in this version that add significantly to the size. There might be some outdated ones that can be removed to cut down on the size, but there are also still some things left to import, so don't count on it getting any smaller.

CaptainD

Quote from: Gurok on Wed 21/03/2018 14:42:40
Yes! Stu, I'll be recording it and uploading it to YouTube shortly after. I heard someone might be streaming it this year too.

A guy I know on Twitter - GameWalker - is planning to stream it, and I believe SilverSpook is too.

SilverSpook

Yes, I will be livestreaming the AGS Awards from my Youtube channel, as I mentioned on the Neofeud Steam site and Itch devlog. :)

Ponch

Snarky

As a reminder, the beta test takes place at 21:00 GMT tonight (a little bit more than 5 hours from the time of this post). You may download a test build of the Awards client here:

Dropbox
Google Drive

There's a minor bug that means if you log on while no one else is online, and you're not a channel op (moderator), you'll get stuck behind the wings of the stage. So just be aware of that if you play around with the client ahead of time.

One of the main things I want to try out in this build is support for registered nicks. So if you're a regular IRC user, you should be able to use your NICKSERV-registered, password-protected nickname. Unfortunately I haven't had time to implement the UI to actual input your password, so for now you have to test it by manually editing the profile.dat file that the client creates to store your profile data. See instructions:

Spoiler
The profile.dat file is stored in the $APPDATA$ folder (this is probably something like C:/Program Data/Adventure Game Studio 3.4.1/AGS Awards 2018/, or "Application Data" instead of "Program Data", depending on your system).

So to test it:

1. Run the game client once, going into the main hall (in order to create a profile.dat file)
2. Locate the profile.dat file that's been created
3. Open it in a text editor
4. Add a line like "nickpassword=mysecretpw" (where mysecretpw is the password for your nick, which should in turn be stored in an existing line like "nick=mynickname")
5. Save and close the profile.dat file.
5. Run the client again. Choose the existing profile.

You should then be able to log on with that nick. If the nick and password don't match you'll be stuck at the login screen and will have to quit the client.
[close]
Obviously I'll fix it so you don't have to go through this process for the actual ceremony. Which, lest you forget, is this Saturday! 8-0

m0rph84

Cool,
probably I'll try it...see you in 5 hours.

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 22/03/2018 15:57:38
if you're a regular IRC user, you should be able to use your NICKSERV-registered, password-protected nickname.

And if not? Still able to join?

Snarky

Dropbox link seems to have picked up an extra http. Thanks for the catch.

Yeah, if you use a non-registered nick you can simply log on through the client as normal.

Snarky

I might not be (properly) online by 21:00. I've been traveling, and first my flight was an hour delayed and now the train is apparently having issues as well. :-\

selmiak

my avatar enters the venue and then this crash happens

cat

@selmiak: update the profile.dat, as described by Snarky.

@Snarky:

• The textwindow has no scrollbar
  • People joining without the client are not visible at all. In earlier versions they were stuck behind the door I think. Would be nice to read their text when audience is muted.

Cassiebsg

the GUI for the text with the black transparent BG is very annoying and blocks for the action.
Can you remove it or give an option to remove it?

Personally I would rather have the text in the empty space to the left between the top buttons and the lower clapping buttons... (and limited in lenght to not bleed into the stage. But that might just be me ;)

Oh, I also don't have the apostrophe on the client. when ever I press the key nothing happens (except that it "eats" the next key that I press.... so that instead of typing "I'm" it just types "I" . I'm using a danish keyboard.

Snarky

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 22/03/2018 16:07:05
Quote from: Snarky on Thu 22/03/2018 15:57:38
if you're a regular IRC user, you should be able to use your NICKSERV-registered, password-protected nickname.

And if not? Still able to join?
Quote from: Snarky on Thu 22/03/2018 16:10:32
Yeah, if you use a non-registered nick you can simply log on through the client as normal.

Apparently I lied. Due to a bug you can't currently log on without a password. I'll fix that, obviously.

Thanks for everyone participating, and thanks for detailed bug reports and requests.

selmiak

Quote from: cat on Thu 22/03/2018 20:18:22
@selmiak: update the profile.dat, as described by Snarky.
I was in the normal #ags IRC with the same nick, that broke the client. A message, that the nick is already in use would be preferred ;)
Deleting the profile.dat and retrying with a new nick helped.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 22/03/2018 20:47:43
the GUI for the text with the black transparent BG is very annoying and blocks for the action.
Can you remove it or give an option to remove it?

Personally I would rather have the text in the empty space to the left between the top buttons and the lower clapping buttons... (and limited in lenght to not bleed into the stage. But that might just be me ;)
+2
one for each point :)

MiteWiseacreLives!

Haven't been around much lately... will we see a final download Saturday?

Snarky

Yes. A crack team of dedicated men and women are still hard at work putting the final touches on the ceremony, but there will be a download at least several hours before the ceremony. When it's ready it will be announced in this thread.

shaun9991

Looking forward to the ceremony! Thanks to the organisers for all their hard work :D
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

LostTrainDude

Thanks for making this possible again, this year, folks! :D
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 24/03/2018 10:48:32
Yes. A crack team of dedicated men and women are still hard at work putting the final touches on the ceremony, but there will be a download at least several hours before the ceremony. When it's ready it will be announced in this thread.

Any time soon?

Stupot

Have fun folks. And good luck to all the nominees. Can't wait to see the video :-)

horusr

Anyone has a list of people who will stream the ceremony? I heard silver spook and gamewalker will stream and gurok will record for uploading later.

SilverSpook

Hey there, let me know when it's ready to go! If you want to see my stream here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/twiliteminotaur

Snarky

I've had a bit of difficulty, due to trying to get too many things in at the last minute.

Just as I was about to call it and upload the final build, I discovered a series of fatal bugs. (Hopefully) fixing them has unfortunately meant having to disable several nice bits of functionality that was supposed to be in. :~(

... Aanyway, I do have a final build now. However, it's taking ages to upload it for some reason. As soon as it's up I will post the link.

CaptainD

Thanks for all your hard work on this Snarky!

Mandle

Cassiebsg

Maybe once the awards are done, we could open a thread called "AGS AWARDS 2018 - Suggestions" or something like that, so who ever wants to work on it, can start working with it already after the awards and not wait 10+ months to start? ;)

Snarky

We have that every year, Cassie. There is no shortage of suggestions to be working on, just time to do it in.

A big part of the work is importing all the game resources from the nominated games, a part of the work that cannot be done very far ahead of time.

Haggis

I suggest having a cut off point for award client upgrades BEFORE the award nominees are announced.

Once the nominees are announced updates are then solely related to the awards themselves e.g. nominated game content.

Saves having to do both in a tight window.

Cassiebsg

Do we have a thread for the awards? Didn't realize that, need to go look for it.
Yes, importing the stuff can't be done before hand, but a lot of the stuff we noticed was missing in the client during the test run was not related to the importing of data.

cat

The awards channel will be moderated, i.e. it is muted while presentations go on.

Join #AGS with any irc client to chat with other people now and during the ceremony

Server: irc.adventuregamestudio.co.uk
Channel: #ags
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use this web client.

Haggis

Exactly - which is why that should all be dealt with beforehand (suggested updates, testing etc) rather than come out the woodwork when testing the nominee content.

cat

No need to discuss this now. We can see later if there is a way to improve it.

Snarky

Update: The upload status now says it will take 35 minutes; it's about a third of the way through a 250 MB file upload. If that holds it should be available in time for the ceremony, barely.

MiteWiseacreLives!

crappy internet, our common denominator amongst ags'rs...

Snarky

Oh hell. I thought it was supposed to start in an hour, not right now. Well, I guess it's IRC, then.

cat

We are having delays with the ceremony client upload. In the meantime

JOIN #ags and #awards with any IRC client

Server: irc.adventuregamestudio.co.uk
Channel: #ags and #awards
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use this web client.

MiteWiseacreLives!

anyone on the irc?
maybe i'm doing it wrong

CaptainD

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Sat 24/03/2018 20:10:55
anyone on the irc?
maybe i'm doing it wrong

Lots of us there buddy, are you on #ags?

Jim Reed

server address: irc.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/6667
channel is #ags for chatting and #awards for the ceremony

Snarky

cat

Starting in 5 minutes!

Privateer Puddin'

Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks to everyone who organised!

cat

Ceremony is over!

Thanks for joining us!

Here are the results:

Best Programming
Last & Furious

Best Short Game
I Want Out!

Last & Furious

Best Demo
Jorry [Demo]

Best Voice Work

Best Music & Sound
Neofeud

Best Animation
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Character Art
Terror of the Vampire!

Best Background Art
I Want Out!

Best Puzzles
I Want Out!
Black Morph
Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots)

Best Gameplay
Black Morph

Best Character
"Captain Disaster" from Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots

Best Writing
Terror of the Vampire!

Terror of the Vampire!

Lifetime Achievement Award
Slasher

Best Innovation Award
monkey0506
for his work to help AGS games reach the widest possible audience - through popular distribution platforms (Steam, Galaxy) as well as other operating systems (Android, Linux).

Mandle

Thanks for the amazing ceremony guys!

dactylopus

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Sat 24/03/2018 23:00:30
Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks to everyone who organised!
Yes, this!  Well done, everyone!

shaun9991

Congratulations to all the winners! And thanks cat, Snarky and all for organising the ceremony! :D

CaptainD

Thanks Cat, Snarky, AGA, Katschey and anyone else who helped make this such a great awards ceremony!

Two Tales

A big congratulations to all of the worthy winners. Well done.

Cassiebsg

Congrats to all winners, nomineees, staff that made it possible and of course all the players and voters! (nod)

Fizzii

Congrats to all! And thanks to those who ran the ceremony and the whole process; it was very well done this year :)

SilverSpook

Thanks to everyone who put the ceremony together, great job! Congrats also to all the nominees and winners, and to everyone who tuned into my stream of the AGS Awards. :)

LimpingFish

Well done to all winners and nominees! A really strong year with some awesome stuff on show. Thanks to cat and Snarky, and everybody else involved, for their dedication to bringing us this years ceremony. Really top notch work, guys. ;-D
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Gurok

I have uploaded the awards ceremony for 2017 to YouTube

Stupot

Quote from: Gurok on Sun 25/03/2018 03:33:27
I have uploaded the awards ceremony for 2017 to YouTube

Nicez thanks G-Dawg. I just watched the first 30 mins on my lunch break. Will catch the rest soon. Very impressive with all the animations and sound clips. Impressive stuff. Well done Snarky and co.

Slasher

Thank you all so much for your nominations..(nod)

There were some great games released last year that well deserved being nominated.8-)

I congratulate them all (nod)

I myself got a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.. Thank you so much for nominating me with the Lifetime Achievement Award.

I am deeply honored. The whole of the community as well as making games has given me more than life itself and I am truly grateful.

Having recently lost my wife to cancer this Award helps give positive vibes and hopefully I can hold out to make a few more games.

Thank you all.

Slasher.................

SilverSpook

Nice one Gurok, and I should have remembered to thank you for being one of the early Neofeud Patreon patrons! :)  So thanks!

And also major congrats to Slasher on that Lifetime Achievement Award! Well deserved, sir!

I had a few folks asking if they can watch the livestream of the AGS Awards, which includes live commentary from myself, several other AGSers, and the Six Billion Dollar Baller from Neofeud (as voiced by yours truly :) ). So here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQmDf0pUtN4&t=2s

CrashPL

Too bad I couldn't stay and watch the entire ceremony, so I'm extra glad you uploaded the thing on YT so quickly. :)

Congratulations to all winners and nominees for their awesome games! And a huge thanks to the orgs for such an excellent awards ceremony!

Ibispi

Congrats to all winners!

This is the IRC log of the ceremony, for those who prefer text over video: https://pastebin.com/c9Rjeehz

SinSin

Congratulations to all the winners !!
Sorry I couldn't make it I got busy :S
Currently working on a project!

paolo

Big congratulations to everyone who won an award last night! Good to see a nice spread of winners this year rather than one game scooping the lot.

It was way too late for me to stay up to the end so I'll watch it on YouTube - thanks to Gurok for uploading it.

Arlann

Congratulations to all the winners and nominees!
Because I live in the past I didn't download the client in time for the beginning of the ceremony, I just discovered my random avatar on youtube for the best demo award, LOL!
Thank you for this award and this ceremony.

Riaise

Congratulations to all of the winners! And a huge thank you to everyone involved in hosting the ceremony! ;-D

Special congrats to Slasher for the lifetime achievement award! That was really well deserved. (nod)

KyriakosCH

Snarky

Thanks everyone! You guys are great.

Congratulations to all the contestants, winners and non-winners alike. Putting together the nominee resources for the client really makes me appreciate all the excellent work people are doing. So impressed!

I'm sorry for the mess I caused getting the client out, and particularly to those of you, like Arlann, who couldn't download the client in time because of my delay. That's not what this thread is about, but I will say...

Spoiler
I started seriously thinking about this year's update in September of last year, but life has a tendency to get in the way, and I took on a couple of paid projects that had to be my first priority. For this and other reasons I wasn't able to really work on it much until this last month. Getting it done by the deadline within that timeframe was brutal, and in the end I just missed it. I am sorry.

The good part of it was all the great contributions I received, which really pushed me to try to get as much of it in as possible, and the awesome collaborators who pitched in. Their efforts are right in front of your eyes. I really regret the stuff that had to be left out, most of it simply for lack of time. I hope it will see the light of day in a future ceremony, and I hope we'll work together more!
[close]

cat

Again, congratulations to all winners, nominees, and actually to anyone who released a game last year!

Sorry we had some delay with starting the ceremony, but I think it was totally worth the wait! Snarky did an amazing job including all new game resources, avatars and features. It may not look like much, but it is a huge amount of work to do. Thanks to selmiak for the great intro animations and Kastchey for the beautiful GUI and trophies. And thanks to all the game authors who provided the resources to their games.

I'm very glad that MAGGIES were part of the ceremony again this year. MAGS is so important for the community and leads to constant creation of games. Thanks to Stupot for doing a great job in running MAGS and to Mandle for being up at inconvenient times to present it.

I'm also glad that the ceremony was recorded and streamed. Some people could not attend the ceremony so it's great they can watch it now.

It is great to see so many different games receiving an award. Voters really considered each games strengths and weaknesses.

AGA will update the game database soon, I suppose. Thanks again for doing the administrative side of the awards!

Now a bit of statistics:

There were 106 games released last year
49 people nominated games
68 people voted for the awards, which is more than last year
24 games were nominated for at least one award
8 games won 17 awards in 15 categories
12 awards went to freeware games

The number of awards per game:

4 awards
Terror of the Vampire!

3 awards
I Want Out!

2 awards
Black Morph
Last & Furious

1 award
Neofeud
Jorry [Demo]

Arlann

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 25/03/2018 13:57:10
I'm sorry for the mess I caused getting the client out, and particularly to those of you, like Arlann, who couldn't download the client in time because of my delay.
No need for excuses, I just completely messed up my speech and my partner too... Maybe because it was dinner time. :-D
This was my first ceremony and I am very impressed by the quality of the event. Thanks for this!

Dave Gilbert

Congrats to everyone! I was on a plane travelling back from GDC so I wasn't able to join.

Bavolis

Congrats, devs! Awesome to see this community still trucking along (and delivering the goods) every year.

Gurok

I was entertaining guests at a cocktail party aboard my yacht, but I still made time for it.

Also, congrats to everyone! Congrats especially to Terror of the Vampire, which I think finally got the recognition it deserved after slipping by in the MAGS voting. Congrats to SilverSpook with Neofeud! The excitement was palpable from the snippets of your stream I watched. A big, hearty congratulations to Slasher! You're not allowed to stop or even slow down now that you've won an award, but I doubt there's any danger of that.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Well done to all the winners .. what an amazing set of games this year.. really great!  Keep pumping them out.

Well done to all involved with the awards thanks for making it all happen.

Andail

Congratulations to all award winners! I will download and play your games immediately to see if they're really that good.

Radiant

Thank you for your support! And congrats to all the other winners as well! (looks like I've got some more playing to do!)

...aaaand I missed the chance to say something on stage because I was traveling and our trains have somewhat erratic internet connection. Perhaps next time...

Sinitrena

Congratulations to all the winners and nominees and thank you to Snarky for the client, cat for organizing and everybody else who helped out. It was a great ceremony.

FireFlower

Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

LostTrainDude

Congrats to all the winners and nominees!
And of course huge thanks to all who was involved in the client and ceremony itself :)
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Creamy

Great night. Many thanks to everybody involved  :)

NicolaGs

Never attended a AGS awards ceremony before and I have to say that it shows the involvement of a lot of AGSers. There was a big amount of work behing this red curtain...
I'm proud to be in the first 3-way tie of the awards history! ;)
Thanks to everyone involved @ AGS community!

cat

Actually, there was a 3-way tie before in 2015 for Best Short Game (Cornelius Cat in: The Uncontrollable Pest/Mess Goblins/The Surprisingly Short Adventure of Leopold Kettle), but it is not shown correctly in the wiki or database. I'll ask AGA to fix it.

However, you can be proud nonetheless: You made a great game that won well deserved awards!

Edit: I fixed the wiki template, now more than one winner is supported.

NicolaGs

Quote from: cat on Tue 27/03/2018 17:12:00
Actually, there was a 3-way tie before...
Now I'm in despair... :-D
QuoteYou made a great game that won well deserved awards!
Thank you! :)

selmiak

Congrats to all winners and thanks for all your votes, this was fun. It is awesome to be in a threesome with Captain Disaster, a mysterious hooded guy and Satan  :-D

For your viewing pleasure I uploaded the On Screen Animation to my creative youtube so you can watch it over and over again  :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cidLBQjjIB4

selmiak

jfyi I updated the wiki entry on the 2017 awards.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/AGS_Awards_2017
it would be nice if someone checks for errors or typos or the like...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk