Mittens 2018 confirmed - Boston 15-22 September

Started by AGA, Thu 04/01/2018 22:28:46

Previous topic - Next topic

AGA

So it's early in the new year, which means it's Mittens planning time!

Given our usual 'every third year in America' tradition, 2018 is another America year.  For some reason Boston has jumped out at me as being a good idea, and when I mentioned it on the Discord chat channel, people seemed in favour.  There should be plenty of interesting things to see and do, and the whole historical bent seems nice.  It looks possible to rent places of various enough sizes and prices to house however many people attend.

So, who's interested?

We booked this place: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6741599!  15-22 September.

Confirmed Attendees
AGA
Disco
Esseb
Grundislav
JenniBee
Jess
Layabout
Layabout's +1
MillsJROSS
MillsJROSS's +1
m0rph84 [no bed required]
Privateer Puddin'
scotch
Snarky
Tamara
= 14 [15]

Interested Parties
Pesty [no bed required]
= 1

Privateer Puddin'

Grundislav

I'd definitely go if it was in Boston. It's a cool city and close enough to make travel cheap!

Snarky

Layabout

Count me interested. I would love to visit Boston.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Esseb

Grundislav

Add a +1 for me, as Jess is also interested.

Dave Gilbert

Yes yes yes. Love Boston. Count me in.

tzachs

Ooh, we're definitely interested, but I'm guessing it's going to be problematic coming with a (very demanding) 2 year old? Was there ever a precedent of somebody bringing a kid? And how did it go? If not, maybe we'll do a weekend there and come visit.

cat

Boston sounds awesome, but with a baby, we will not be able to come. I don't think Mittens is for kids and I'd have been pretty pissed had people brought their kids to the Mittens I attended.
However, I was thinking about organising a Mittens with kids (Kiddens (laugh) ) next year in Europe.

AGA

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think kids at Mittens would really work...  I think the only way it could work is if the parents stayed somewhere else (hotel / own rental), and met up during the day with the main group.  I really can't see a young child fitting in with all the noise, drinking and late nights that are known to happen at Mittens!

Snarky

I think it would be a shame if all the Mittens regulars who are having kids have to stop coming, though, or if we had to segregate it completely into parents vs. non-parents meetups.

As people grow older, the nature of Mittens changes as well. And really, I don't think there was really anything about Mittens Iceland that was particularly non-kids-appropriate (depending on how parents feel about the penis museum). If there's a concern that having children around would cramp our style, maybe we could alternate every other year? Or get two separate places nearby each other. Or overlap it so that part of the time is with kids, parts all together and parts without. I think there are ways to make it work.

tzachs

Quote from: AGA on Sat 06/01/2018 12:46:42
I think the only way it could work is if the parents stayed somewhere else (hotel / own rental), and met up during the day with the main group.

Right, I guess this is what we might do then (and we'll come just for the weekend probably).

Disco

Why not? :D Looking forward to crossing a new state off my travel map!

yamipanda

Layabout

I will have a plus 1 and an idea on dates people are thinking would help as we need to get an idea of flight costs from Australia. :)
I am Jean-Pierre.

AGA

It has been suggested quite a few times that we might have Mittens a bit later. Tamara and I have a very busy summer planned, so that would actually be preferable to us. What do people think about the second weekend of September, for instance? Flights also seem to be cheaper than the summer peak for the majority of us who live in the northern hemisphere (sorry, Ryan!).

Grundislav

Post-summer is fine, just make sure it's in September or October, any later and it gets pretty damn cold in Boston...

Layabout

Quote from: Grundislav on Thu 18/01/2018 16:56:26
Post-summer is fine, just make sure it's in September or October, any later and it gets pretty damn cold in Boston...
At least in September and October I get a chance to wear my jackets. We get two weeks of winter in Australia!
I'm OK with mid to late September. Flights are what they are - I'll just have to look out for some sweet deals. ;)
I am Jean-Pierre.

Privateer Puddin'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk