Mittens 2018 confirmed - Boston 15-22 September

Started by AGA, Thu 04/01/2018 22:28:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Pesty

Hello my friends woah nelly what year is it? Anyway hi, I would like to go to mittens and see all you good good kids! AGA knows this I've just been too busy to post it Official-like, so here I am posting it Official-like!

This place looks super cool! It's probably not TOO "away from it all", though its definitely worth checking to see how far it is from the city!
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

AGA

Nevermind, that house is taken!  Owner apparently doesn't update the calendar.

scotch

I'm ok with wherever. I do think the Hull area ones seemed doable, good value, and the beach would have been cool. Ferry and rail are both options there. Central Boston sucks for driving and parking, so if people wanted to get in I would drive/uber them to the T/rail and go from there. I'd guess about 40-50 min for either option.

The Peabody one looks cool for size and obviously price! Salem nearby is kind of a fun day out. Probably pushing it for travel time though, since it's not near any good stations. I'll have a look about to see if anything stands out... a lot is disappearing.

Dave Gilbert

Privateer Puddin'

Latest place looks good! Didn't realise places would be booked this far out

scotch

Oh yeah, places book out like crazy towards fall. I have stuff booked for November already.

As for the stuff north of the city, I like this one:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6741599?location=Boston%2C%20MA&adults=15&check_in=2018-09-15&check_out=2018-09-22&s=ApQCnsvR

Streetview

It's vast, near the sea, and it's 30 minutes and $9 per person from Boston center on Uber, also close to Salem and also has a lot of bathrooms which is a plus.

Privateer Puddin'

Didn't realise the last one was a bit hotely (millennial, just went straight for the pictures :=) so scotch's suggestion looks good, but just to note the owner lives in the basement and no loud conversations after 10PM

Anyway, places are running out so everyone feedback!

m0rph84

Count me in!
I live in Boston! September is a great month, fall foliage is amazing here.

Never went to a Mittens before. How the housing works? I have an apartment here so I can return home at night.
Is this doable? The problem is that I have a wife and a 1-month-old baby that will be around 9-month-old in September...

Snarky

Quote from: AGA on Fri 09/02/2018 22:49:16
Okay, this place also looks nice: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17364158?location=Boston%2C%20MA&adults=16&children=0&infants=0&guests=16&check_in=2018-09-15&check_out=2018-09-22&s=Zc-bWzqM / https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Prospect+St,+Peabody,+MA+01960,+USA/@42.5413464,-70.9527657,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e313b5ec9b769b:0xaa3062c898067f9e!8m2!3d42.5413464!4d-70.950577?hl=en.  Around $300 per person, huge place that can house loads of people.  Again, around an hour from Boston.

Hmmm... it sleeps up to 45, so as Puddin' says it will be a bit hotely. Looks nice otherwise, though note "Quiet Hours 10:30PM - 6:30AM"

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Sat 10/02/2018 01:35:40
scotch's suggestion looks good, but just to note the owner lives in the basement and no loud conversations after 10PM

I thought you were joking!
That sounds non-ideal.

Esseb

I'm basically fine with any house, if it's difficult to find available houses it might be inefficient to get everyone's approval. I trust AGA to find a suitable place.

AGA

Unfortunately we're seriously running out of valid options.  Both those options have their plus sides and their negatives, but I'm not sure we can afford to be fussy anymore.  We really need to book something today.  As Esseb says, if it comes to it I might be forced to just pick a place and book.

To make it easier though, here's a summary of the two current options:

The WheatlandLarge spacious 6 bedroom house
16-45 people
Up to 22 separate beds
Up to 5 unshared rooms (only one bed)
$5925.55 total / $370.35 each
Not suitable for under 2s
Around 1hr from Boston by car and public transport
Potentially a shared space, if other people book at the same time as us
Quiet Hours 10:30PM - 6:30AM
Clean up after yourselves in common areas
Please note that personal items cannot be left in the common areas
16 people
10 separate beds
4 unshared rooms (only one bed)
30 minutes' drive from Boston, but public transport is barely available
$6197.40 total / $387.34 each
No food in any of the bedrooms
No loud music
No loud conversations or music after 10pm
Owner lives on site, but with separate entrance

Overall I'd say the second option is more like a traditional Mittens house, while the first is more like staying in a B&B.  The main downside is the lack of noise after 22:00, and need for a car/Uber, but I think we can probably cope better with that than the other place's rules.  It's not like loud noises are much of a Mittens thing, and we can always go upstairs into one of the bedrooms if we really need to make more noise!  According to scotch, who lives locally, it's also better situated for Boston and the local history.

Snarky

Personally I'd go with option 1, but I'm ok with either.

AGA

Quote from: m0rph84 on Sat 10/02/2018 04:32:41
Count me in!
I live in Boston! September is a great month, fall foliage is amazing here.

Never went to a Mittens before. How the housing works? I have an apartment here so I can return home at night.
Is this doable? The problem is that I have a wife and a 1-month-old baby that will be around 9-month-old in September...

The way it usually works is you pay your share, you stay at the chosen house for the week.  We hang out for the week, and do nerd stuff (not always AGS related).  Usually at least one day involves getting out of the house and seeing the local attractions/history.

However, I will warn you that both options we're looking at say no children under 2 are allowed on site (for safety reasons).  If you wanted, you could probably work out some way of doing it though.  You visit us during the day, then go home to your family at night, or you stay with us and visit them every day or two.  Whatever you feel comfortable with!  Of course if you didn't sleep at the house you wouldn't need to pay a full share of the costs.

AGA

Oh btw, if you look at the photos of the second place there's a huge attic we could easily use for later night drinking, game playing, noise making.  There's very little chance the owner would be able to hear us from his basement apartment.  To me, that basically removes my main concern...

AGA

Okay, I've booked Large spacious 6 bedroom house, from 15-22 September.  I noticed that Airbnb will refund 100% of the fees if you cancel within 48 hours, so it seemed a good idea.

Sorry for all the high speed and chaos today and yesterday, but I really wasn't expecting stuff to book up this quickly!

Privateer Puddin'

Thanks AGA for sorting it all out once again!

See everyone in Boston!

Esseb

Thanks for sorting this out, AGA, the house looks great.

scotch

Nice one AGA! I think it'll work great. Can't wait :=

Snarky

Paid! Thanks AGA!

So Mittens in Boston... See you all at MITtens!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk