Problem launching LINUX version from itch.io

Started by The Outer Zone, Thu 06/09/2018 09:09:32

Previous topic - Next topic

The Outer Zone

Hi

Apparently the Linux version of my game won't launch.
I don't know Linux and I'm not the best coder so I can't really do anything to fix this.

I got this message from a user for my game "Cyborg Seppuku":

"I had some trouble running on Linux. The Itch client fails to launch (here's the error trace); it looks like it might be having trouble reading $SCRIPTPATH as defined in Linux/CyborgSeppuku? But it is defined and called correctly with quotes, it is a single string with whitespace in it. Also ags64 is exactly where it's looking for it, no idea why it can't find it. But tbh I'm not really sure how that script works, since all it supposedly does is define a couple env variables but if you run it by hand it executes AGS and the game somehow (and completely scrambles your randr configuration if launched fullscreen as by default, but details). Might be the problem is just with the Itch client."

Thanks for reading - hope you can help :)
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: The Outer Zone on Thu 06/09/2018 09:09:32But tbh I'm not really sure how that script works, since all it supposedly does is define a couple env variables but if you run it by hand it executes AGS and the game somehow (and completely scrambles your randr configuration if launched fullscreen as by default, but details). Might be the problem is just with the Itch client."

To clarify, the game does run when launched manually, but does not run when launched through some launcher?

VampireWombat

I just downloaded the current version of your game from Itch and the only error I had was that it said it couldn't find the video file, which I fixed by moving the video into the data subdirectory.
It sounds to me more like the problem is with the Itch Client than your game. The solution to the problem would be more likely found over there than here.
I did look at the app faq and found this sentence "While the app can now run most games you can find, compatibility issues still happen from time to time, especially on Linux where best practices aren't followed by all." And under the integration guide I found "Various Linux distributions have varying opinions on how software should be distributed â€" this makes Linux a particularly hard platform to target, given the sheer number of different format to support."

I'd say the easiest solution would be for the user to just download the game directly. And possibly use the Windows version via Wine.

eri0o

Ags can be built with either static or shared libraries. The ags for Linux shipped with the Editor has shared libraries - and some plugins. The script for running a game just check if the computer os is 32 or 64 bit, and then runs the appropriate build of the engine with a variable pointing to the shared libraries.

This is a variable called ALLEGRO_MODULES to point where are the libraries. My experience is that variable doesn't work for me for some reason - I also don't use the ags for Linux shipped and instead use the AGS-SDL2 port on Linux because it runs faster in fullscreen. I also use a different script for switching between 32 and 64 bit builds that I posted recently.

I recommend testing before shipping.

The Outer Zone

Thank you guys! And sorry for my late reply.

I'll try and fix it for the next version. Thank you :)
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

CaptainD

I think there's an issue with the Itch App, someone just had an issue with running Captain Disaster from it too (running Windows 10):

It's worth keeping track of whether this is a problem for multiple AGS games - I've never actually come across it before myself though.

The user has sent feedback to Itch. 

CaptainD

Just want to report that I've tried installing and playing this game with Windows 10 and had no issues.  Everything worked fine.

morganw

I'm currently dabbling in this area, so I'll have a look at this.
Based on a quick look at the logs provided though, it looks more like the itch.io client has an issue with spaces in the path.

Quote from: https://pastebin.com/PpaNUqAU
[2018-09-05 @ 23:11:34.768] [launch/native] err: /home/fabrizio/Games/Itch/Tales From The Outer Zone Cyborg Seppuku/CYBORG SEPPUKU v0.6/Linux/CyborgSeppuku: line 12: /home/fabrizio/Games/Itch/Tales
[2018-09-05 @ 23:11:34.768] [launch/native] err: /home/fabrizio/Games/Itch/Tales From The Outer Zone Cyborg Seppuku/CYBORG SEPPUKU v0.6/Linux/From
[2018-09-05 @ 23:11:34.769] [launch/native] err: /home/fabrizio/Games/Itch/Tales From The Outer Zone Cyborg Seppuku/CYBORG SEPPUKU v0.6/Linux/The
[2018-09-05 @ 23:11:34.769] [launch/native] err: /home/fabrizio/Games/Itch/Tales From The Outer Zone Cyborg Seppuku/CYBORG SEPPUKU v0.6/Linux/Outer
[2018-09-05 @ 23:11:34.769] [launch/native] err: /home/fabrizio/Games/Itch/Tales From The Outer Zone Cyborg Seppuku/CYBORG SEPPUKU v0.6/Linux/Zone
[2018-09-05 @ 23:11:34.769] [launch/native] err: /home/fabrizio/Games/Itch/Tales From The Outer Zone Cyborg Seppuku/CYBORG SEPPUKU v0.6/Linux/Cyborg
[2018-09-05 @ 23:11:34.769] [launch/native] err: /home/fabrizio/Games/Itch/Tales From The Outer Zone Cyborg Seppuku/CYBORG SEPPUKU v0.6/Linux/data/ags64: No such file or directory

morganw

This should be fixed now, as it was not an issue with the itch.io client.
If you want to fix an existing game, you should be able to do so by just updating the launch script.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk