AGS Awards votes close at 13:59 BST on Wednesday 07 March 2018. You've already voted, so you've got 12 days and 0 hours left to wait before voting closes!

Author Topic: Issue : Dialogs skip too fast  (Read 167 times)

NicolaGs

• Going nowhere fast
    • NicolaGs worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Issue : Dialogs skip too fast
« on: 06 Jan 2018, 13:33 »
Hi,

Some players found a weird bug in my game. It's related to the dialogs : they start to skip instantaneously without any user input after some time playing.

Quote from: a player...
I've tried playing your game, but unfortunately after a while the text all scrolls through very quickly whenever I examine or do any other actions on things. I restarted a couple times and experienced the same thing.

Or visible here, in this walkthrough video : https://youtu.be/o-nvhUfGK9o?t=2244

My question is : has anyone seen the same problem (possible AGS engine bug) or coult it be just my game (bug in my scripts...)?

The game has the option to change the dialogs skip speed (4 choices : from click-to-skip to high speed) but changing this seems to not be of any help.
It was seen only by 2 players... so it may be related to their system.

I don't have any information on the players' system version atm (it's Windows, but don't know the version).

The game runs with latest stable AGS version (3.4.1.11).

Nicolas
My first game : I Want Out!

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Issue : Dialogs skip too fast
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jan 2018, 14:19 »
Ok, let me clarify first of all: are you saying that even if you set "skip only by click" mode they still continue to skip that fast?
Does your game feature voice-over? If yes, is there a difference if you turn voice on/off?

E: Checked the rest of the video, it looks like they begin doing that after certain point? Did user alt+tab somewhere during the game? I recall that may cause some keys "stick" in memory so AGS always thinks that a key is pressed.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2018, 14:21 by Crimson Wizard »

NicolaGs

• Going nowhere fast
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jan 2018, 14:26 »
are you saying that even if you set "skip only by click" mode they still continue to skip that fast?
Apparently, yes (according to the only feedback I had)...

Does your game feature voice-over? If yes, is there a difference if you turn voice on/off?
No!

NicolaGs

• Going nowhere fast
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jan 2018, 14:33 »
E: Checked the rest of the video, it looks like they begin doing that after certain point? Did user alt+tab somewhere during the game? I recall that may cause some keys "stick" in memory so AGS always thinks that a key is pressed.
Oh, didn't see your edit... Well I'll ask, but it could be that, because, by looking at the video, there's a cut just before the occuring of the bug... So maybe the player took a look at the walkthrough and got back to the game...

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jan 2018, 14:37 »
I remember someone posting a possible fix for Allegro 4 on forums before, but apparently I forgot to add it... again.
I will try to find it and see if it's possible to make a patch.

NicolaGs

• Going nowhere fast
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jan 2018, 14:40 »
Thanks for your fast answer, CW!