Main Character Critique Request

Started by disgustindustin, Sat 06/01/2018 14:51:29

Previous topic - Next topic

disgustindustin

FOR FELLOW ARTISTS

1st game, 1st post (apart from the introduction).
Before I do colors, walk-cycle, and animations. Just requesting constructive criticism for the main character:
-Super naive and oblivious, extremely "simple minded", wanna-be adventurer
-Spoof on Fantasy game genre, hence spoof of a typical adventurer

-Will be a "Calvin & Hobbes" newspaper hat
-Line-art will be colored
-Proportions: 1:3 heads, (Mickey Mouse style)

Personally:
-Need to fix the legs so the bend and length is equal
-Need to fix scarf in side-view
-3/4 back view makes his neck look like he has a tumor, will see after colors, if it still stands out, would remove horizontal neck line

turnaround" border="0

Cassiebsg

He looks cute and cuddly... (laugh)

Don't know why you cute the character views, since you have made them, that said his chin looks shorter on the 1st view than it is on the side view.
I don't think that knee bending works, I get tired just by looking at him standing like that. It's very unnatural... You should stand up and try and stand like that. ;)
Also he's got some funny "hands". :P

I currently have nothing else to add... but there are much better artists on this board, so expect better and more constructive criticism. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

disgustindustin

-Thanks, will fix legs. :)
-Yeah the head profile needs some fixing. :-\ Will have to experiment to see what works best.
-Those are just the ends of the gloves, hands haven't been included yet :)

Thanks so much for the feedback, seems like I'm heading in the right direction, since he's supposed to look extremely naive (cute, cuddly I guess) (laugh)

CyberUncleCat

Aren't his cheeks little to spikey from behind view?
Knees need fixing as said before.

Remember when doing reverse views to delete his feather. It would look weird when it would be in his hat when he goes left and right, but only on one side when he goes up or down. It's actually easy to do so with making feather a separate layer in your editor and thus removing and adding it at will with one click:).

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 06/01/2018 17:45:01
I don't think that knee bending works, I get tired just by looking at him standing like that.

It's not because of the bendig itself, but because his body balance is too far to the back. His center of mass (his hips) should be slightly more to the front.

Jim Reed

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/E6BXyGg.png[/imgzoom]
I lined up the char by his feet, so let's start from the top:
The back view is a bit shorter than the other views, which makes everything else in this view out of kilt.
The feather is leaning too far back in the 2nd and 3rd view.
THe hair doesn't match up in the side view by a large margin.
His cheekbones change shape across views.
Belt buckle is lower in the side view, despite this view having the largest char.
Legs are weirdly shaped, I haven no qualms about them being bent, but they should look consistent in thickness.

Lining up features might look like a lot of work for small gain, but it will help with animation and when the character rotates/turns around.

His upper body shape looks quite wide in the front view, but looks quite thin in other views. The pose in the second view is leaning back a bit. It doesn't matter if you want him to lean or not, but it should be done across all views. His sleeves are fully visible in both back ad front views, I recommend making them less visible in the back view as shoulders usually lean to the front of the body. His chin is too big in the side view, obscuring his neck, unlike in other views. Also his backpack straps mysteriously appear and disappear between views.

The character is nice, just pay more attention to trying to get more consistency in it. The overall design is solid, and he is easily recognizable. Might be easier to spot mistakes if you make an animated gif of him rotating in place. Pay attention the bulk of things, it's jarring to the eye if it changes too much between views.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk