Discussion on Bladecoder,MonoAGS,Adore,Escoria + MonoAGS audit

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Mon 08/01/2018 08:57:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 09/01/2018 09:35:06
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 09/01/2018 09:25:08
This is aimed at explaining once and for all what I mean every time I try to express some concerns regarding what I sometimes call "vector abilities", sometimes "3D geometry", sometimes "subpixel transformations", etc.

BTW, AGS currently is middleground, because it has software renderer which is purely 2D, and two 3D renderers (where we have to solve these pixel-perfect problem too).

Yes, AGS makes it even worse, because its behaviour can lean to either side of my chart depending on the renderer chosen in the settings. AGS' obsolete dependencies have magically turned this paradigm into some sort of hardware uncertainty instead of being strictly a design choice. Oh, AGS! (roll)

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 09/01/2018 09:35:06
Strictly speaking, it is possible to implement full 3D effects in AGS, for example, make rooms rotate around all 3 axes, using native Direct3D and OpenGL abilities, but software renderer will work much worse.
Yes, but there's a reason why it's never used (several plugins have appeard along the way to tap into DirectX's abilities, and they all died from lack of support). There shouldn't be a "programming genius" inbetween the game designer and the engine. The game designer should be able to use the 3D engine's abilities (using simple, high level code) by himself. that's what MonoAGS lets us do. And that's good.

Moving back to my concern of "OK but OpenGL does virtually nothing, I'd recommend using some middleware" : As an illustration, think of how Unity's high-level 3D primitives are used in this purely 2D example : https://unity3d.com/fr/learn/tutorials/s/procedural-cave-generation-tutorial
Do we really want to implement all those fantastic objects (2D grid, etc.) by hand?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 09/01/2018 09:40:30
- If a sprite changes on the file system, you have to reimport it --> you have addressed that. (by the way, make sure that room backgrounds are not managed separately -- AGS keeps them in a black box, unlike sprites)

These things (and others) may work differently in MonoAGS, for instance room background is basically another object. Also I gave few of my crazy ideas to tzachs, some of them he seem to have implemented already, such as "infinite rooms" that stretch into any direction forever :). I believe in that case you won't have a static background, but dynamically created and adjusted layers, or something like that.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 09/01/2018 10:33:29
These things (and others) may work differently in MonoAGS, for instance room background is basically another object. Also I gave few of my crazy ideas to tzachs, some of them he seem to have implemented already, such as "infinite rooms" that stretch into any direction forever :). I believe in that case you won't have a static background, but dynamically created and adjusted layers, or something like that.

I don't think anyone minds as long as the graphics used for the room (if any) is updated easily from the file system (through any given process that you would come up with), and if that update does not block another person working on the project.

Monsieur OUXX

@tzachs : I finally got to have a look at your source code, and I must say it looks really really promising.

Here are my concerns :
- Like I said before, all my concerns about Sound Engine and about Assets Management are gone. Hurray!
- I'd still feel more comfortable if GUIs management was unloaded onto some third-party library like GTK# or similar,
- Keep an eye on (mild) reflexivity. One day we might want to make it possible to access objects properties through script* (for example, through an in-game console). Therefore, be careful with "anonymous" fields used by Protobufs/Protocontract. Oh wait this is actually C#. We can access an object properties through its name any time, any place.
- I suggest even more than previously the use of automatic solution generation, since I saw that you have one .sln file per target platform. https://www.reddit.com/r/dotnet/comments/6hmjrf/cmake_now_support_c/
- I'm kinda worried that there are platform-dependent wrappers for every core feature, such as drawing, input, etc. Isn't that managed by OpenTK? Or is it only some "transparent" wrapping meant for some basic C# trick (make advantage of interfaces or whatnot)?
- I would suggest taking the opportunity of this engine rewrite to put some distance between the absolute core point n' click engine (rooms, inventories, etc.) and the things that might be custom. Two examples from the top of my head : the hard-coded fade-in/fade out as seen in RoomEvents.cs, and the player's behaviour on Verb events as seen in Player/Approach. I'm not saying you should kill all that, I'm just suggesting that you imagine what could be this "less hard-coded layer of code", and that you move those things there after creating the required event hooks in the core.
- event hooks! event hooks everywhere! E.g. OnNewItemInInventory
- Have you considered an importer for an existing AGS 3.4 project? --> That would be for the community. remember how many people had a hard time switching from 2.72 to 3.0?
- You have re-implemented all the usual classes such as lists, dictionaries, events, trees (you're literally using C#!), point, rectangle (you're literally using OpenTK!), etc. I won't complain because everyone does it (ScummVM, etc.), but... what is it with you people?
- One big big concern: the IDE as it is now, and even if you intgrate an "editor" as an in-game GUI, the game development workflow would be to run and debug the game from within Visual Studio. Even if it's a free Visual Studio, we can't redistribute it, which means that we must tell the users to download two separate things: 1) MonoAGS, and 2) Visual Studio. For me that's a no go. Any solution would be better than that -- like swapping to SharpDevelop or MonoDevelop. An answer that comes to mind is : "no, you misunderstood, first you compile the game in visual studio but then you can distribute the unfinished game to develop it 'from within itself', as some sort of standalone Editor" --> that doesn't sound like a good solution, because then you can't change (and recompile) any custom script inside it as long as it travels outside of visual Studio.

* Just in case you wonder why, here is one possible illustration : that could come handy for commercial games to automatically patch softlocks that many players might have in their saved game.

Overall I would like to congratulate you for how compact is your code.
Also, kudos for using async/await.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 09/01/2018 14:00:59
- I would suggest taking the opportunity of this engine rewrite to put some distance between the absolute core point n' click engine (rooms, inventories, etc.) and the things that might be custom. Two examples from the top of my head : the hard-coded fade-in/fade out as seen in RoomEvents.cs, and the player's behaviour on Verb events as seen in Player/Approach. I'm not saying you should kill all that, I'm just suggesting that you imagine what could be this "less hard-coded layer of code", and that you move those things there after creating the required event hooks in the core.

Lol, right, Monsieur OUXX, I am pestering tzachs about this from the first moment I learnt about the engine. Even suggesting my aid in dividing things apart :).
But, I guess, this could use a community's hive mind examination at some point too.

BTW, I do not remember if tzachs mentioned about this, but in his engine the game objects are actually component-based, like in Unity, which means you may convert one object into another by adding/removing/replacing behavior component.

For example, your character has behaviors like (dummy names, because I do not remember them) HasVisuals, CanBeInRoom, HasInventory, etc. Now, at any point in time you add CanBeOnGUI behavior, and boom, character becomes a GUI element, while retaining everything else, walks among the buttons and talks to labels. ... well, assuming you also add TalkTo interactions to them.
(I believe you may see basic example of this in the Demo Game's feature demonstration menu.)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 09/01/2018 15:18:03

Lol, right, Monsieur OUXX, I am pestering tzachs about this from the first moment I learnt about the engine.

I've read that in many of your comments, but I wasn't sure that I was targetting the "same" code separation, because here I'm specifically targetting stuff that wasn't even separated in AGS itself (blocking room transitions being the most obvious example)

Component-based
Yes, that's very good.

ChamberOfFear

Even if it's a free Visual Studio, we can't redistribute it bla bla bla ...

I presume you got too hung up on Visual Studio that you took the time to breathe and realize that there are other options (The fact that you mentioned SharpDevelop as an option suggests to me that you're not really up to date). A ton of stuff has happened with the .NET eco system since they open sourced it. You can use Visual Studio if you like, you can use MonoDevelop you like, you can use Atom, you can use Visual Studio Code, you can use ViM, you can use eMacs, you can even use notepad and command line build tools. There's not really any restrictions anymore since Microsoft released the dotnet CLI tools, which is a lot more user friendly than MSBuild. Support for writing and building C# is easy, accessible and free.

Presumably the future IDE would be distributed with the dotnet CLI tools included, so that anyone would be able to build the game. If you need to code you could download you favorite code editor software, which most likely has a plugin for C# building. I have a hard time picturing a coder which wouldn't be delighted over the opportunity to use their favorite tool for game development.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: ChamberOfFear on Tue 09/01/2018 16:24:50
Presumably the future IDE would be distributed with the dotnet CLI tools included, so that anyone would be able to build the game. If you need to code you could download you favorite code editor software, which most likely has a plugin for C# building. I have a hard time picturing a coder which wouldn't be delighted over the opportunity to use their favorite tool for game development.

All I'm saying is that you can't legally redistribute Visual Studio (true?). Therefore AGS 5 can't be shipped with it (true?). Therefore if we want to be serious, AGS has to be shipped with another, user-friendly way of building the game. I know programmers (I am one) love to say "here are the sources, all you have to do is..." but real-life people, especially AGS users, need to have an all-inclusive solution provided. Not to mention AGS is portable (it doesn't have to be installed).
MonoAGS has been made with Visual Studio so far, and we know how sometimes it's tricky to build a program in a different IDE than the one in which it was originally built. I'll believe it can be built with a free, open-source, redistributable, portable IDE when I see it.

@tzachs, a question for you : why did you put emphass on functional languages in the docs? did you have some advantage on mind regarding the making of a game with your engine?

eri0o

tzachs

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX
This is aimed at explaining once and for all what I mean every time I try to express some concerns regarding what I sometimes call "vector abilities", sometimes "3D geometry", sometimes "subpixel transformations", etc.
Ah, great explanation, thanks!
Yes, it's a valid concern against OpenGL which I was not really aware of. I'll need to study it more.

By game production pipeline I meant that the work of the project leader, game designer, artists and scripter don't overlap.
Here is how they sometimes overlap in AGS :
- Every time you add a sprite or a room, it modifies game.agf or some other central set of files. Conflicts cannot be resolved easily.
So that's another reason for me to switch to dotnet core, their csproj supports globbing patterns so you don't have to specify specific files that are included in the project (it's possible that mono supports the new csproj too now, btw, not sure). Besides the csproj there's nothing else so there would be no conflict here.

- If a sprite changes on the file system, you have to reimport it --> you have addressed that. (by the way, make sure that room backgrounds are not managed separately -- AGS keeps them in a black box, unlike sprites)
Room background is not separate. All assets are treated the same (at least when developing): files in the file system.

- if you add or remove a sound, it creates its corresponding name in the script. It breaks compilation if you remove the sound. (the sound artist's work conflicts with the scripter's work)
Hmmmm, that's a touchy subject. I understand your concern, but on the other hand named assets are also important for intellisense and avoiding typos. It's currently not a problem but it might be when I develop the editor- I'll think about how to address that when I get there.

About the GUI : I strongly recommend that you use a thirs-party library, and that you don't implement GUIs yourself! Home-made GUIs are the plague of many game frameworks. There's always a moment when scripters want to extend the behaviour or aspect of a GUI control, and then they can't because they can't hook on the controler events or graphical containers, or can't make sense of the rendering flow. And then you will have to carry that weight. Have you ought about GTK?
Yes, I thought about GTK# among others. I have two problems with that:
1. I want to be able to have the GUIs as part of the world, meaning I need to control when and where to render it with OpenGL. So that pretty much rules out all GUI libraries that are not OpenGL based. The best GUI framework I found for OpenGL is nanogui, which I still consider my fallback plan if my current plan doesn't work as I want. The problem with that is nanogui's c# binding looks abandoned which means that I'll need to maintain the binding myself, plus get a deep understanding of nanogui workings and I tend to believe that the weight this will carry on me is not smaller then have my own framework in place. And also, this doesn't solve my second problem...
2. So, what Crimson Wizard said here:
Quote from: Crimson Wizard
Now, at any point in time you add CanBeOnGUI behavior, and boom, character becomes a GUI element, while retaining everything else, walks among the buttons and talks to labels.
I'll basically lose this ability for GUIs if I follow that route. The fact that GUIs in the engine are treated the same as all other objects and can be manipulated the same, I feel that's a great power for the engine to have.

Therefore, be careful with "anonymous" fields used by Protobufs/Protocontract.
Just to be clear here, protobuf is just used for the saved games file format, that's it.

I suggest even more than previously the use of automatic solution generation, since I saw that you have one .sln file per target platform.
mmm, no? I only have one sln file. Are you talking perhaps about the csproj files? I have a csproj file per platform, not a sln file per platform. I'll have to read about cmake for c# more, I'm kind of hesitant because I didn't see any c# project actually using it yet (but maybe it's because it's new, based on your link). There's a known solution for the multiple projects per platform in the c# world: Protobuild- it's used by both MonoGame and Xage, so I'm more inclined to use it. However I'm still not convinced that the added dependency (be it protobuild or cmake or something else) and the cost that goes with it is worth the multiple projects "pain", maybe it's because I haven't experienced that pain yet, currently I kind of like that clean separation between projects. Also protobuild does not currently support dotnet core as far as I know- I did want to play with it at some point to gain a better understanding of the benefits, but I don't consider this a priority. If another contributor will come and want to add something like that, I'll probably not going to stop her/him though (except for the dotnet core issue...).

- I'm kinda worried that there are platform-dependent wrappers for every core feature, such as drawing, input, etc. Isn't that managed by OpenTK? Or is it only some "transparent" wrapping meant for some basic C# trick (make advantage of interfaces or whatnot)?
For graphics rendering, OpenTK supplies OpenGL bindings and OpenGL ES bindings. Those are not the same unfortunately. So I have 2 implementations of "IGraphicsBackend", the OpenGL one is used by desktop (Windows, Mac and Linux), and the OpenGLES one is used by Android & IOS. And I'll probably need yet another implementation when I add UWP (xbox and windows store) which will either be DirectX or Angle. For input, OpenTK handles it cross-platform for desktops but not for mobile: I use the xamarin APIs which are native representations of the android and ios APIs, but they are not the same. I might switch in the future if I find something.
For bitmap and text rendering, I also currently have 3 implementations (desktop, android and ios) but I want to switch to SkiaSharp which is completely cross platform (and also gives a lot of other benefits like hardware accelerated text rendering). Currently stuck on this, btw: if somebody knows/figures out how to solve this, let me know.

Yes, I'm discussing solutions with Crimson Wizard. However... rooms are not adventure game specific? Room = Scene, and every game engine on the planet (I think) have this concept. The "OnBeforeFadeIn/OnAfterFadeIn" events for moving in/out between scenes is also generic and not adventure game specific.

- event hooks! event hooks everywhere! E.g. OnNewItemInInventory
MonoAGS has event hooks a-plenty. All lists that are marked as "IAGSBindingList" have an "OnListChanged" event which gives all the items that were added/removed from that list. Good call on the inventory items though, as I didn't change it from "IList" to "IAGSBindingList" yet, will fix.
Also, all components implement "INotifyPropertyChanged", which you can subscribe to and get events whenever any property in the component changes (this is how the inspector refreshes itself to show you whenever something changes in the game).

- Have you considered an importer for an existing AGS 3.4 project?
I suspect it's going to be crazy amount of work. If somebody else wants to work on it, that would be great. I'm not going to, though, not in the foreseeable future.

- You have re-implemented all the usual classes such as lists, dictionaries, events, trees (you're literally using C#!), point, rectangle (you're literally using OpenTK!), etc. I won't complain because everyone does it (ScummVM, etc.), but... what is it with you people?
lol, yeah, it looks bad...
My core engine library targets dotnet standard which means I can target both dotnet framework, mono or dotnet core.
OpenTK is still not officially supported with dotnet core (it's in progress), meaning that the core engine can't reference OpenTK, only the desktop engine project can reference it. So I had to copy a bunch of their classes to make it work. Once they support dotnet core I'll be able to remove those.
For drawing bitmaps, I used stuff from System.Drawing which is also not part of the dotnet standard so I had to take dotnet framework code. Once I switch to SkiaSharp I'll be able to remove those.
And finally, my binding list is not taken from c#, it's my implementation that's there for adding those hooks you mentioned earlier which don't exist in the original list implementation. And tree is also my implementation, there's no tree data structure in c#.

@tzachs, a question for you : why did you put emphass on functional languages in the docs? did you have some advantage on mind regarding the making of a game with your engine?
I don't think I did? I just listed F# as potentially the best candidate if you want to code your game using something not c#, because I know it's a dotnet implementation that is actively supported by Microsoft, and I'm not sure how actively maintained and complete other dotnet implementations are (everything else afaik is developed by the community and not sponsored by major players, I might be wrong about that).

- One big big concern: the IDE as it is now, and even if you intgrate an "editor" as an in-game GUI, the game development workflow would be to run and debug the game from within Visual Studio. Even if it's a free Visual Studio, we can't redistribute it, which means that we must tell the users to download two separate things: 1) MonoAGS, and 2) Visual Studio. For me that's a no go. Any solution would be better than that -- like swapping to SharpDevelop or MonoDevelop. An answer that comes to mind is : "no, you misunderstood, first you compile the game in visual studio but then you can distribute the unfinished game to develop it 'from within itself', as some sort of standalone Editor" --> that doesn't sound like a good solution, because then you can't change (and recompile) any custom script inside it as long as it travels outside of visual Studio.
Ok, so I guess it's time to talk about my plans for the editor (important note - everything here is subject to change and might not actually happen).
First, regarding your concern: I'm hoping to distribute the editor in several flavors: the standalone version will come bundled with the dotnet cli but without any IDE. Like persn said, you'd be able to use pretty much any ide you want (you can program in notepad if that's what you want) with that. That's pretty much the equivalent for unity.
Other flavors would be as IDE add-ins, and I'm planning to target Visual Studio and MonoDevelop (hopefully all flavors will share as much code as possible between them), though that's probably not going to happen for the first version (version 0.1 coming sometimes this decade to your home). The MonoDevelop addin can be packaged together with MonoDevelop and distributed. For the visual studio flavor, yeah, you'll want to download VS first and then download the AGS extension.

Regarding what you said earlier about hard-coded verbs: the plan is for the editor to have somewhere a place to edit your list of verbs (or you'll use a game template which has the verbs pre-set). The editor will auto-generate a "Verbs.cs" file with your verbs, and the core engine itself will not have knowledge about specific verbs.

You'll also be able to edit your outfits and choose which animations are part of that outfit, those animation names will also be auto-generated to a cs file.
As for the animation editor, I plan to have a basic layout like AGS has with individual frames and live preview, but also will have a "switch to timeline" button: this will place your frames on the timeline, and you'll be able to add tweening for properties (shown on separate tracks in addition to the frames), and possibly set various blendings. And one last thing for the animation editor would be to allow for composition animations -> show the entire object tree so that you'll be able to have separate animations for the head and body (for example) and see how they work together.

For the room/scene designer, I plan the canvas to have a similar interface that InkScape has for moving/rotating/scaling objects (with grid lines/snapping for alignments etc) and for editing areas something similar to InkScape vector tools as well. In the tree view of the scene you'll be able to show/hide/lock/unlock layers or individual objects, and selecting an object will show the inspector (called "Properties Window" in AGS but the same principle, pretty much exists in all editors). From the inspector you'll be able to set values and add/remove components. You should be able to switch between "playing the room" to "editing the room" immediately (I hope), or maybe even editing while playing. You'll be able to see and edit the GUIs from the scene designer (they might not "belong" to the scene, but it's just that more convenient to see how the game will actually look from the editor). When adding a new object to the canvas you'll be able to select from various presets (object, character, button, etc): each preset is basically an entity with a specific set of components and defaults. The presets that are available for you to use will be dictated by the game template you choose, or you'll be able to create your own presets (or import from modules, etc). This is kind-of similar to prefabs in unity (but not as powerful- will probably extend this to be as powerful eventually). For each of those presets a friendly interface will be auto-generated for your coding pleasure (so you'll be able to write "character.Walk" instead of "character.GetComponent<IWalkComponent>().Walk").

For events/interactions- my observation here is that for most adventure games, most of the interactions are basically the player character says something in response for looking/interacting with an object in the room. Really, I don't think I'm exaggerating if I say that's 75% of interactions in a typical game is just that. That's why, I want first to make this as painless as possible. If you type on a object/verb combo line in the editor, it would automatically translate into player.Say(..whatever you typed..). Otherwise you'll have either the current AGS option of going straight to code, or you'll have the option to open the interaction editor. The interaction editor might be similar in some ways to what Blade Coder has. At least for the first phase, I'm not planning to have graphs with nodes a-la articy/draft, but a list of interactions with if/else branching as indented, we'll see how it goes and maybe I'll re-evaluate. The functions in the interaction editor (like the properties from the inspector, btw) will have help links directly in the editor (it will be extracted directly from the api documentation for built in functions/properties, and extracted from code attributes for external modules). You should be able to run code from the interaction editor and to run saved editor interactions from the code. Also, the interactions themselves will not be hidden, code will be generated for you so this can also be seen as a learning tool. And finally, I plan to have async/await support directly in the interaction editor. Hard to explain without a picture, but basically if you add a "Walk", for example, it will add an "await" with "walk" on the same line, but then you'll be able to drag the "await" section to its own line and put other actions between the "walk" and the "await" so you can have the character walk in parallel to other things going on in this cutscene.

Another interaction related feature I want to have is a "matrix" window. This aims to be a productivity enhancer for writing interactions in bulks and also to solve the problem of a lot of games (that drives me crazy) where the developer forgets to code all of the interactions. The matrix window will have all interactable objects + inventory items as both rows and columns. Each cell is an interaction that has to be filled. You'll have a nice "you're 64% there!" label showing you how much of the interactions are done. And you'll be able to click on each cell to edit the interaction (with any of the methods I talked about for interactions), you'll also be able to mark specific cells as "default" (which will activate that whatever "I can't do that" default interaction you configured) or as "bug: not supposed to happen" (which will also activate the default interaction but might do something else like crashing you if you debug, or send an email from a tester or whatever you set it to do on "bug"). You'll have some controls for filtering the matrix to specific rooms/only inventory/etc if it's getting too big and/or you want to focus on something specific. And finally, you'll have a "start marathon" button which will rotate between "unfilled cells" with easy shortcut keys to pass to the next interaction.

As for speech, this is also a big pain-point for me with current AGS. I still want to support the current workflow, but also have a speech control window (maybe somewhat similar to the speech center plugin), and you won't be forced to number your speech lines in the code yourself, the string itself will be the id and map to a numbered filename (or filenames for multiple localilizations), though you'll be able to override with a number for specific lines (like if you have multiple lines with the same string but need to be said differently). You'll be able to write director notes in the speech window for specific lines, and create nice looking scripts for voice actors. Also, there will be a "start marathon" button here too, you'll select a character and it will run over all of the script lines for that character and open the speech line editor. From the speech line editor you'll be able to record the voice and do basic editing. When recording you'll have keyboard shortcuts to stop this take and start a new take, and a shortcut to move to the next line. For editing you'll be able to trim beginning/end of takes, change volume/pitch/reverb. You'll be able to delete takes, and keep multiple takes (for repeating sentence where you might want some variation in how a character says a line). I still painfully remember the amount of time it took to get the independently recorded lines from the voice actor, open a big-ass audio software where all I want to do basically is select the good takes, and then do some trimming and volume adjustments, then manually exporting to files, figure out the correct filename and then needing to test it in the game to see that I completely screwed it up... This whole process took ages. Hopefully doing it all in-editor will save huge amounts of time.
Another interesting possibility here that I want to explore, is being able to open the speech line editor directly as you're playing the game. So, for editing, the game developer will be able to edit lines while playing the game which gives better context. For recording, if the voice actor is recording remotely, the game developer might prepare a few saves where the character speaks, and either instruct the voice actor what to do to get to her/his lines, or even code to directly cut to the dialogs. If the voice actor is recording with the developer in a studio, then hopefully the game developer could bring her/his laptop and hook it up to recording hardware, and switch to the saves/coded dialogs while showing the monitor to the voice actor. The goal here is that the context of the actions will be much clearer to the voice actor as the dialogs are played.

I'm going to skip various other things the editor needs (editing settings, deployments, fonts, cursors, and I maybe forgot lot of important points), but one last point I want to touch on is customizability.
There are obvious customizations you can expect, like authoring your own components and being able to edit their properties in the designer.
But more than that, as the editor will be using the same framework as the engine, it will use the same mechanisms for customizations the engine uses: meaning, almost everything should be able to be replaced if you want. You'll be able to code your own inspector if you so choose and replace the existing inspector (and then share it as a module for other developers), etc.

Overall I would like to congratulate you for how compact is your code.
Also, kudos for using async/await.

Theme

Quote from: tzachs on Tue 09/01/2018 22:02:43
The best GUI framework I found for OpenGL is nanogui,

Sorry for not reading everything, but did you take a look at https://github.com/ocornut/imgui
I'm using in my project, it's a immediate mode gui that works with opengl and it's in constant update.

Monsieur OUXX

@tzachs : you have addressed all my worries, except for the IDE (second point below).

- About Protobuild : (btw, yes I meant multipe .csproj, not multiple .sln) you said you haven't experienced the pain of the multiple projects to maintain.
Out of curiosity, how do you currently work? Is it like this: You have the several .csproj in VS and when you build, it builds them all and you trust that is the MacOS project got built successflly, then it's OK? (not that Protobuild would address that paradigm -- just trying to have some context). The pain usually comes later, after seveal years, when you need to let users use a different IDE/Compiler or a newer version of the original IDE. You get entangled in the many versions of VS -- well not you specifically because you know how to upgrade your csproj, but there's always someone who asks about a version that you don't own -- and you cry.
I mentionned VS but I'm perfectly aware that nowadays the VC++ restributable bullshit is gone, so don't hit back on VS. My concern can be applied to trying to compile a .csproj with any "unforeseen" IDE/compiler. That's when the automated project generation becomes a magical tool.
Just sayin'.

- About the IDE : still very skeptical. the statement "you could virtually make your game in Notepad" is not acceptable, but it's always something that's very hard to hear for developers. I could virtually make my AGS game in Notepad just by writing XML. Bleh. The fact that the game designer can carry around his CLI tools is not an answer either. He/she wants to press "play", not type command line commands to run compilation. Finally, the IDE has a second purpose: organizing files and assets, and allowing thirs-party tools (plugins), as you and hamberOfFear mentionned.
Therefore, I'm asking again: what's the plan regarding a 1) legally distributable, 2) lightweight, 3) portable (no installer needed), 4) cross-platform IDE that would be rebranded "AGS 5"?
For now, MonoDevelop addresses these criteria, I believe, but is available from source only (!) and is apparently complex to turn into a portable installation. I'm not surprised that the Unity guys managed to do it, and make it seem easy, but they have way more time and money to achieve miracles ;)

ChamberOfFear

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 10/01/2018 08:29:41
The fact that the game designer can carry around his CLI tools is not an answer either. He/she wants to press "play", not type command line commands to run compilation.

Maybe I was being ambiguous in my previous post, but I hope it was understood that I wasn't actually suggesting that the user of the IDE was going to type commands, because that's just insane. The dotnet CLI tools would just be prerequisite to install, in the same way that the .NET runtime and Visual C++ redistributables already is for the current AGS. The actual command typing commands would be handled "under the hood" in the IDE. From the end users perspective it would still be a build and/or play button, like we already have.

I didn't have time to read @tzachs post since I'm at work so I hope I didn't say something that was already said.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: ChamberOfFear on Wed 10/01/2018 10:07:51
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 10/01/2018 08:29:41
The fact that the game designer can carry around his CLI tools is not an answer either. He/she wants to press "play", not type command line commands to run compilation.

Maybe I was being ambiguous in my previous post, but I hope it was understood that I wasn't actually suggesting that the user of the IDE was going to type commands, because that's just insane. The dotnet CLI tools would just be prerequisite to install, in the same way that the .NET runtime and Visual C++ redistributables already is for the current AGS. The actual command typing commands would be handled "under the hood" in the IDE. From the end users perspective it would still be a build and/or play button, like we already have.

I didn't have time to read @tzachs post since I'm at work so I hope I didn't say something that was already said.

That's good. I assume that CLI is also redsitributable, like VC++ rdistributables were. But the IDE needs to be redistributable (licensing) too. That was one of the strong advantages of AGS: lightweight, free and portable.

[delete}

qptain_Nemo told me that MonoAGS most likely will run on Arch Linux ARM too.

So, green light also from my side:

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: ChamberOfFear on Tue 09/01/2018 16:24:50
The fact of mentionning SharpDevelop as an option for the IDE suggests that not being really up to date with the .NET eco system.

@ChamberOfFear Can you explain how? Which specific point do I misunderstand? Is it only compatible with "traditional" .Net Framework? Is it compatible with Mono? Is it compatible with .Net Core? Is it out of support? Etc. It's free, portable, lightweight, under MIT license, and specfically targetted at C#, so it makes it a very appealing candidate.

@tzachs Any reason why you don't use Monogame as the "middleware" that other point-n-click engines use? (see initial table). It has recently switched to .Net Core and it has the most permissive Microsoft license. I know it was mentionned before but we never elaborated. It might not be too late.

Other question : do you use tools such as mkbundle or Monokickstart to bundle Mono in the current version of MonoAGS?

tzachs

Quote from: Theme on Wed 10/01/2018 07:21:23
Sorry for not reading everything, but did you take a look at https://github.com/ocornut/imgui
I'm using in my project, it's a immediate mode gui that works with opengl and it's in constant update.
I did look at it. I ruled it out mainly because I'm not sure how "immediate mode" integrates well with my design. Also I remember reading about it and people were talking about it more as a "GUI prototyping tool". And finally, the sample picture on the c# binding front page didn't look appealing. On the plus side the images on the original imgui project look better, and the c# binding is actively maintained, so I will keep it in mind.

You have the several .csproj in VS and when you build, it builds them all and you trust that is the MacOS project got built successflly, then it's OK?
First of all, when I develop I rotate between developing from Mac and developing from Windows (and I'll add Linux to my rotations when support is added for that) to see that things are working well on both platforms. When I compile locally, I only compile the projects for the platform I'm testing, so I'm not compiling mobile if I don't test mobile. Once I submit a PR, the automated build kicks in which compiles for all platforms and runs the tests.

The pain usually comes later, after seveal years, when you need to let users use a different IDE/Compiler or a newer version of the original IDE. You get entangled in the many versions of VS -- well not you specifically because you know how to upgrade your csproj, but there's always someone who asks about a version that you don't own -- and you cry.
I mentionned VS but I'm perfectly aware that nowadays the VC++ restributable bullshit is gone, so don't hit back on VS. My concern can be applied to trying to compile a .csproj with any "unforeseen" IDE/compiler. That's when the automated project generation becomes a magical tool.
I don't think that's currently a problem in c# world. There are multiple IDEs, but only a single compiler (Roslyn) which everybody uses. If it will become a problem, I will re-evaluate.

the statement "you could virtually make your game in Notepad" is not acceptable, but it's always something that's very hard to hear for developers. I could virtually make my AGS game in Notepad just by writing XML.
Perhaps notepad was a bad example, but the point here is that while you can write your AGS game with XML on notepad, you can't debug it without the AGS editor, you don't have intellisense, code navigation, etc, without the AGS editor. With MonoAGS you can do all that without the editor, and you'll be able to do that no matter which flavor of the editor you install. Now, this wasn't meant as an answer to your specific concerns, this is obviously not a solution to a lot of people who want something built in. But it is very important to a lot of people who already have their favorite IDEs/tools and want to stick with it.

Sorry for not being clear, you'll have a "play" button in the standalone version which will run the cli tools.

For now, MonoDevelop addresses these criteria, I believe, but is available from source only (!) and is apparently complex to turn into a portable installation. I'm not surprised that the Unity guys managed to do it, and make it seem easy, but they have way more time and money to achieve miracles ;)
If MonoDevelop doesn't pan out, then I'll search for alternatives, or worst case (don't want to go there, but it's always an option) build my own.
Btw, apparently unity are now shipping with Visual Studio instead of MonoDevelop. So maybe it is possible to bundle with Visual Studio (or maybe Unity and Microsoft made a deal, I don't know).

Quote from: Amélie
qptain_Nemo told me that MonoAGS most likely will run on Arch Linux ARM too.
I hope? I saw that dotnet core supports Arch Linux, don't know about Arch Linux ARM.

@tzachs Any reason why you don't use Monogame as the "middleware" that other point-n-click engines use? (see initial table). It has recently switched to .Net Core and it has the most permissive Microsoft license. I know it was mentionned before but we never elaborated. It might not be too late.
When I first started development, MonoAGS was a very strong candidate for a backend. I started installing the framework, but I remember the instructions were very confusing for me, and I don't remember if ever got it to work. I remember thinking "yeah, it's not going to fly with non-programmers". Also MonoGame (or any complete game engine) brings with it a lot of baggage, dependencies, opinions and quirks that restrict my own design. Not using it gives me more freedom. However, I'm not ruling out looking into integrating with MonoGame as an optional backend (same goes for Unity, btw).

Quote from: ChamberOfFear
The fact of mentionning SharpDevelop as an option for the IDE suggests that not being really up to date with the .NET eco system.
@ChamberOfFear Can you explain how? Which specific point do I misunderstand? Is it only compatible with "traditional" .Net Framework? Is it compatible with Mono? Is it compatible with .Net Core? Is it out of support? Etc. It's free, portable, lightweight, under MIT license, and specfically targetted at C#, so it makes it a very appealing candidate.
From what I can gather from their Github page, SharpDevelop is Windows only.

Other question : do you use tools such as mkbundle or Monokickstart to bundle Mono in the current version of MonoAGS?
No work was done regarding deployment yet, so no. Also, as I plan on removing Mono, most likely I will not use those.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: tzachs on Tue 09/01/2018 22:02:43
- Have you considered an importer for an existing AGS 3.4 project?
I suspect it's going to be crazy amount of work. If somebody else wants to work on it, that would be great. I'm not going to, though, not in the foreseeable future.

I would like to make a small note about this, saying that it does not even have to be tzachs to make such project converter.

AGS project's format is known and parsing code available. MonoAGS project's format will be known (when it's fleshed out) and code available. So, format-wise - no problem. Two problems that I foresee:
* Finding a correspondence between AGS entities and MonoAGS entities, because same things could be represented in different ways in these two engines.
* Converting scripts, because language is slightly different, and many classes/functions names are different.
I believe this will require coding some kind of wrapper for MonoAGS to emulate AGS behavior. Like AGSCharacter, extending AGSMono's Character class, and so on.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 10/01/2018 15:24:25
I believe this will require coding some kind of wrapper for MonoAGS to emulate AGS behavior.
I was thinking the same thing. The (small) thing is that MonoAGS doesn't have a parser for AGS script or loading AGS resources. So it might be simpler to do it on AGS side, as an exporter.

tzachs

Right, Clarvalon has released an exporter to Xage (with source, apparently) which might be a good place to start.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk