Previous topic - Next topic

MAGS Host

MAGGIES 2017 is over and the winner is:

Black Morph
by Selmiak, Elmont and Creamy

And the runners up:

2nd The Robolovers by Brane and Tycho
3rd Moonlight Moggy by Pilchard

Well done to all of you and to everyone who took part.
Thanks for all the entries and votes and thanks to Mandle for announcing the winner.

Couple of facts and figures:
* The top two were VERY CLOSE. Only two points separated them. If we were counting just by first choice or even first and second choice, it would have been a tie. But Black Morph had two more votes in people's third choice slot. So special mention to Robolovers for being super close.
* Those top three accounted for over half of the total votes. Mind-blowing.

=========================================

It's MAGGIES time again. A chance for us to skim the cream of the past twelve months of MAGS games and decide which cream is the best out of all the creams. If only there was a neat little French phrase for that image. As you can tell, I'm positively creaming myself over 2017's crop of MAGS games.

Feel free to discuss the games in this thread, but try to refrain from sharing your exact votes. It would be nice to keep some element of surprise in the final announcement.

How to vote

1) Play as many games as you can (preferably all of them)
2) Decide on your top three games and assign them a position, 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
3) Complete this short form. It should only take a minute or two.
Voting ended: February 21st (23:59 GMT).

Points will be awarded to each title depending on the position you give them (1st = 5 points, 2nd = 3 points, 3rd = 1 point).
The winner will be announced at the AGS Awards.

Click on the game titles to download each game (or download this .zip containing all 12 games).

January
"Transformation"
Black Morph
by Selmiak, Emont, Creamy
February
"As Time Goes By"
Memories Fade
by Riaise
March
"Size Matters"
The Smallest Points
by Mandle
April
"Mistaken Identity"
One Spy Too Many
by Slasher
May
"The Fickle Hand of Fate"
The Fickle Hands of Fate
by LostTrainDude
June
"Rescue"
The Robolovers
by BRANE and Tycho
July
"I Come Here Often"
Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage
by DBoyWheeler
August
"The Bible"
10 Ways From Sunday
by HanaIndiana
September
"Past And Future Collide"
The Execution of Anne Boleyn
by Riaise
October
"Room of Fear"
Moonlight Moggy
by Pilchard
November
"Contest"
Last & Furious
by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed
December
"Invisible"
It's a Bug's Life
by Slasher

A Few Notes
* This is the first time using Google Forms. While you don't need to be logged into Google you will need to give your own AGS username and may be PM'd to confirm your votes.
* We're always looking to improve how MAGGIES plays out. Any feedback regarding the voting, scoring, timing or hosting of MAGGIES (or MAGS, generally) is always welcomed. Any complaints about the host's visual appearance are less welcome. We are working on that issue.
* MAGGIES runs alongside the AGS Awards and the winner is announced as part of the AGS Award ceremony. As the date of the ceremony is undecided, the MAGGIES timing could alter and the voting deadline is subject to change. So, if you plan on voting it's recommended that you don't leave it until the last minute.

selmiak

you forgot to add slasher as the author to the december mags winner.
Well, off to play some more mags games :)

Also go play Black Morph and like it ;)

Stupot

Thanks for the heads up, Selmiak. I've corrected it.

Hobo

It's a bit of a bummer that you can only vote for the winners, considering that some months had multiple strong entries and other months were won by default. There's certainly one or maybe even two non-winning MAGS games that would go in my top 3 this year.

Stupot

Quote from: Hobo on Tue 09/01/2018 13:52:29
It's a bit of a bummer that you can only vote for the winners, considering that some months had multiple strong entries and other months were won by default. There's certainly one or maybe even two non-winning MAGS games that would go in my top 3 this year.

I appreciate where you're coming from, and this has been brought up before, but I think the current system is better for a number of reasons:
1) It's a best of the best. Each month has a topic and each topic produces one winner (or two if it's a draw. The runner up for Month A might be arguably better than the winner of Month B but if it didn't win for its own topic then it doesn't qualify for a best of the best competition.
2) The voting numbers are frankly too low. Last year only 15 people voted. Even spreading those votes over three choices it's not worth asking them to choose from every single MAGS game of the year. We need a shortlist, and a best of the best format is the tidiest and fairest way to give us one.
3) All games are eligible for the rest of the AGS Awards (providing they're in the DB). If there are truly some gems that missed out on Monthly MAGS recognition then they ought to be in contention for Best Short Game, Best This or Best That.

Of course those are just my personal thoughts. As host, I don't make the rules and I don't even necessarily enforce them unless I have to. I just put systems in place based on the rules that the community has decided. So if enough people come forward and say they think MAGGIES is unfair in one way or another, then we can of course look into adjusting things for next time.

Danvzare

Personally, I share you opinion Stupot.
While there were certainly some great MAGS games that were released, but didn't win. I feel that if we included all of them, then the MAGGIES would quickly become overly complicated. Espcially with the number of games everyone would be expected to play before voting.

cat

If there is only a limited number of 12 games, more people are likely to play them all and then vote. It feels like a more doable task.

MAGS Host

Here are a few facts ‘n' figures:

•Number of MAGS games in 2017: 37
•Best month for entries: June (with 8 entries!)
•Worst months for entries: April and December (Thanks to Slasher for keeping the light on in those months)
•Most prolific entrants Mandle and Slasher on 7 games each.

Keep an eye out for more stats over the coming weeks.

In the mean time, it would be a great help, if you have the time, to visit each game's database page and give lots and lots of comments and ratings there. The links are all in the table in the first post.

Danvzare

Quote from: MAGS Host on Fri 12/01/2018 23:14:37
•Worst months for entries: April and December (Thanks to Slasher for keeping the light on in those months)
You can always count on Slasher to make a game. :-D
Kind of a shame that the only contests he won, were the ones where he was the only contestant. But they were still great games that deserved the win anyway. :-D

xBRANEx

I voted. Will take the time to add a few comments on people's games when I get the time! A bunch of fine games last year to pick from.

Stu, I was wondering, what keeps someone from voting with some old barely used user name from this forum?

Click'd

Quote from: xBRANEx on Thu 18/01/2018 16:11:10
Stu, I was wondering, what keeps someone from voting with some old barely used user name from this forum?

Quote from: MAGS Host on Tue 09/01/2018 02:22:17
you will need to give your own AGS username and may be PM'd to confirm your votes.

Creamy

Come on people ! MAGGIES are waiting for your vote :-D

TheFrighter

Vote to make MAGS great again!(laugh)

Tabata

I voted. ...
Me too!  :grin:

In my eyes it should be the least for us to vote.
  Those who have gone through a stressful month and gave us so many beautiful games really deserve it.  (nod)

Riaise

Blondbraid

Just voted, good luck to all participants!

Cassiebsg

Voted! :-D How about you? :P

Good luck to all contestants! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Ciara

Maybe I'm one of those people that come out of the woodwork every now & then? Surely it's not a problem to vote as long as you've played the games which I've mostly done - I don't think getting through 11 & a bit out of 12 is bad! :)

Stupot

Quote from: Ciara on Mon 22/01/2018 16:01:33
Maybe I'm one of those people that come out of the woodwork every now & then? Surely it's not a problem to vote as long as you've played the games which I've mostly done - I don't think getting through 11 & a bit out of 12 is bad! :)
Don't worry, Ciara. Brane was refering to the fact that someone could use a name on the voting form of a user who is not active in the forum, in order to give themselves extra votes. I could easily check this by asking people to confirm their choices by PM.

So far I see no sign of shenanigans, although a quirky voting pattern has emerged which I can't really talk about yet without giving something away. Maybe I'll mention it in the post-MAGGIES analysis.

Cassiebsg

Yes, please. Cause now I'm definitely curious... 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk