strange fonts problem

Started by miguel, Sun 20/04/2003 13:26:27

Previous topic - Next topic

miguel

this has happened before with a previous work I was doing,  it seems that  I can´t use the original fonts that come with AGS! Everytime I want to display characters like: ´$% and so on, AGS says that I can´t use extended characters. I tryed importing TTF fonts and they work but then, because they have no outline, it mixes with the background and looks bad! Anyway I should be able to use the original fonts shouldn´t I? thanks

Scummbuddy

Not if the original fonts dont carry those fonts.

Just go to www.bripro.com and download SCIStudio and create your own fonts in the font editor.  It takes some time, but you'll appreciate it.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

miguel

I still don´t understand why I can´t use them because I´ve downloaded many ags games that use the original fonts (or so I think they do). But this is not a problem, I got SCI and had a quick look at the font editor and will try it tonight. thanks a lot scummbuddy.

miguel

back again! yes the editor looks very nice but I just want to know  how to use the Fonts that come with AGS without receiving an error! I don´t believe that everybody did their own fonts! thank you

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Sun 20/04/2003 14:55:27
Not if the original fonts dont carry those fonts.

what does that mean?

don´t get upset, I just want to know why I can´t use the original fonts! I don´t need any special font, maybe I´ve got a bad version of ags or, I don´t know, your the experts! sorry if my question is not a valid one ( "keep the posts clean"), but I think that a powerfull tool like ags should come with fonts that work, and I don´t think that my question was so irrelevant (sorry for the english), thanks again

Scummbuddy

I was just referring to the last line in your first post.  But, I know for a fact, that I created my own fonts using SCIStudio... and if you are going to want a special font, you are most likely going to have to make your own.  If you know for a fact that theres a game with a font you like and with the characters you need, then why not trying to contact the author.

And you can go ahead and edit your previous posts, especially within 5 minutes postings to keep the board clean, please  :)
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

RickJ

Quote%
DIsplay() works like StrFormat() so there special characters, such as "%", "\" ..., that are used to specify the string's format.  The backslash cause the next character to be interpreted as a normal character and not a format instruction.  The percent character signifies the beginning of a format specification, as in %d to display an integer variable here.   If you want to display a "%" then put this in your string "\%".    

Ishmael

Hmmm.... go to the AGS fonts pane and see what characters the fonts have, then use only those... in case you don't need the extended ones... then you'll have to make your own...The dollar sign is there I think... I used it once in my test... Not all chars in the outlined font have outlines...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

miguel

RickJ, TK, Scummbuddy: thanks for the help, I´ll sort it out,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk