AGS Awards votes close at 13:59 BST on Wednesday 07 March 2018. You've already voted, so you've got 11 days and 22 hours left to wait before voting closes!

Author Topic: Adventure: Welcome to the Genre  (Read 1153 times)

BunnyShoggoth

• Founder of Toon Thriller Productions
Re: Adventure: Welcome to the Genre
« Reply #20 on: 07 Feb 2018, 02:00 »
I'm really looking forward to your next project! As usual with trilogies, the first part was great because it had a cool fresh idea, and the final part was even better because it squeezed every drop out of this idea.

My favourite locations were the "cutesy children's room" in the Mega-Game, the Adventure shop with its internal narrator, and the Vertex (was cool to see how characters in Thalia's world spend their free time).

I dig the Cabal, especially Loamy (it is a bit sad that his "toad prince" backstory didn't make it into the game) and LeMort with his "stereotypically villain" appearance and room. IMO, a
"pure oldschool 2D" version of him and his room could be interesting, maybe somewhat like Mort Cadaver's cabinet from KQ7.   

I also loved the idea about "adventure archeology" and the pre-computer origins of the adventure genre. Know what, I have my own idea about this, that perhaps "purely digital" characters existed in some forms and interacted with humans before humans even invented computers. Some paranormal researchers believe that humanity during its whole history has been surrounded by weird teleporting and shapeshifting creatures made of unknown form of energy who manifested themselves as "ghosts", "demons", fairy folk, etc.; sounds really reminiscent of game characters with their changing sprites and CommKeys, doesn't it? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Trojan_Horse_(book)
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2018, 12:59 by BunnyShoggoth »

« Reply #21 on: 07 Feb 2018, 11:45 »
Thank you very much, BunnyShoggoth!

I also loved the idea about "adventure archeology" and the pre-computer origins of the adventure genre. Know what, I have my own idea about this, that perhaps "purely digital" characters existed in some forms and interacted with humans before humans even invented computers. Some paranormal researchers believe that humanity during its whole history has been surrounded by weird teleporting and shapeshifting creatures made of unknown form of energy who manifested themselves as "ghosts", "demons", fairy folk, etc.; sounds really reminiscent of game characters with their changing sprites and CommKeys, doesn't it? ;)
That is some interesting stuff. There's probably enough material there to make a whole new game out of (though I doubt I'd be up to the task).

BunnyShoggoth

• Founder of Toon Thriller Productions
« Reply #22 on: 08 Feb 2018, 23:21 »
There's probably enough material there to make a whole new game out of (though I doubt I'd be up to the task).

Do you have any ideas for your next project? :wink:

« Reply #23 on: 09 Feb 2018, 00:02 »
Do you have any ideas for your next project? :wink:
I have a few ideas for much smaller games that I've started fleshing out. I haven't been able to make much headway yet, though.