BACKGROUND BLITZ: GET HUGE

Started by Glenjamin, Thu 25/01/2018 14:24:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenjamin

HUGE

Your background must include at least one giant organism.

What qualifies as Giant: Bigger than a human? Just big you get the idea.

Deadline: 10th of February 2018.

Voting Criteria:

Concept: Is your scene unique and eye-catching? Does your organism fit into the scene?
Playability: Are there things for the player to interact with?
Artistic Execution: Is your background nice to look at? Does your organism look HUGE enough?

Good Luck!

lorenzo

I like the theme! I have some ideas for an entry, I hope I can work on it during the weekend.

Mandle

Quote from: Glenjamin on Thu 25/01/2018 14:24:06
Playability: Are there things for the player to interact with?

Great theme, indeed!

But I'm not sure if that's the exact definition of "playability" for Background Blitz entries.

It's usually meant as: Would the perspective work with a character in the scene? Are there clearly defined walkable areas? Are the exit points clear and readable to the eye at a glance?

Stuff like that.

Interactables are often not a part of the background itself.

Sorry to be a nitpicker. :-D

lorenzo

Glenjamin

QuoteBut I'm not sure if that's the exact definition of "playability" for Background Blitz entries.

It's usually meant as: Would the perspective work with a character in the scene? Are there clearly defined walkable areas? Are the exit points clear and readable to the eye at a glance?

My first time making an AGS competition. I wanted to mix it up a bit but i totally understand what you mean. :tongue:

Great work Lorenzo! There's a lot of storytelling in this background.

Mandle

Lorenzo, awesome background, but NOW it makes me want to see the fight between the bird and the lizard that seems about to take place!!!

TheFrighter

Bel lavoro Lorenzo, lo sguardo del corvo è suggestivo!

(for non-italians: nice work Loenzo, the crow has a catchy eye!)

_

lorenzo

Mandle: Just for you, I've made the abridged version of the fight. Prepare yourself for an epic battle!
Spoiler

[close]

TheFrighther: Thank you! :)

CaptainD

Awesome entry lorenzo!

Looks like a deleted scene from Legend of Hand!! (laugh)

lorenzo

Thanks, Captain!
I haven't played Legend of Hand, but it certainly looks nice!

Glenjamin

You did it lorenzo! WOW

Here's a HUGE trophy for you to messy up your signature space with.

lorenzo

Love the goofy cup!
Too bad there were no other entries, it was such a cool theme. :~(

Kumpel

Sorry guys. I have been working on something with a scrollable panorama of a huge crocodile skeleton opening his mouth but then God punched me in the face healthwise...
Great entry Lorenzo although this looks more like a cutscene than a playable background. :=

lorenzo

Quote from: Kumpel on Mon 12/02/2018 10:30:43
I have been working on something with a scrollable panorama of a huge crocodile skeleton opening his mouth but then God punched me in the face healthwise...
Sounds great, I would have loved to see that! :( Hope you feel better these days.

Quote from: Kumpel on Mon 12/02/2018 10:30:43
although this looks more like a cutscene than a playable background.
Are you joking?! It's ready to be played! You can interact with the column! And the bird... well... is an item you need to pick up and use on the monster! Obviously. ;)

You're right, of course. I made some sketches for a background usable in an adventure game, but they weren't very interesting. In the end, I drew it more like a "scene" than a background.

CaptainD

Quote from: lorenzo on Tue 13/02/2018 09:21:09
Are you joking?! It's ready to be played! You can interact with the column! And the bird... well... is an item you need to pick up and use on the monster! Obviously. ;)

The bird also fits your pocket if you put it in inventory, right? :grin:

lorenzo

Of course it does! If adventure games have taught me anything, is to steal everything that isn't nailed down, and that pockets are deeper than they look. ;)

Mandle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk