AGS Awards votes close at 13:59 BST on Wednesday 07 March 2018. You've already voted, so you've got 11 days and 22 hours left to wait before voting closes!

Author Topic: BACKGROUND BLITZ: Eerie  (Read 245 times)

BACKGROUND BLITZ: Eerie
« on: 15 Feb 2018, 20:12 »
EERIE

Images from: Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Carceri d'invenzione.

Your job is to draw an eerie, scary background. It can be anything you want, as long as it gives you (and the viewer) goosebumps: a haunted house, a ghost-infested castle, an abandoned asylum, a foggy cemetery, a dark and seedy alley, a frightening attic, or a dreadful public toilet (those things can be scary, when not properly cleaned). Or something else entirely, providing that it is scary!

Deadline: 5th of March 2018

Voting:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place? Is it scary/eerie enough? Would you pass the night alone in it? (if the answer is "yes", it needs to be scarier)

Good luck!

DBoyWheeler

• Maverick Hunter D-Boy at your service!
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
Re: BACKGROUND BLITZ: Eerie
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2018, 02:07 »
Anyone getting the vibe of maybe even an H.P. Lovecraftian location?

Anyway, best of luck to others.  (I'd take part in it, but I want to focus on my MAGS entry.)

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2018, 19:31 »
Sure, an eerie, half-sunken city (complete with non-Euclidean geometry and unimaginable monstrosities inside, naturally) would be a great location for a background!

I'd take part in it, but I want to focus on my MAGS entry.
Well, the competition ends on the 5th of March, so maybe you'll be able to find time for both. ;) Good luck on your MAGS entry!

DBoyWheeler

• Maverick Hunter D-Boy at your service!
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2018, 00:50 »
Okay, I made a quick entry for this--my attempt at a Lovecraftian setting.

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2018, 06:24 »

Ehi, it's the Emerald City by night!(laugh)

_

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2018, 21:14 »

Hopefully this qualifies for something...

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:04 »
DBoyWheeler: I love the contrast between the dark sky and the green city! I wouldn't want to find myself alone on that island at night (or even during the day (laugh)).

morganw: cool background, it looks ready for an adventure game! The black and white (with a splatter of red) is very atmospheric.