Strategy game models

Started by KyriakosCH, Tue 06/02/2018 13:30:32

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

I did try to start scripting one such game, but yes, it is way too big a project for just one person :)

If others were interested - including someone who would take the lead scripting role - it could happen, though currently i am just presenting my gfx here :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 21/03/2018 09:51:33
I did try to start scripting one such game, but yes, it is way too big a project for just one person :)

If others were interested - including someone who would take the lead scripting role - it could happen, though currently i am just presenting my gfx here :)
I so wish I could offer my help with such a game. But I wouldn't even know where to begin with making a strategy game. And chances are, I'd probably get the absolute basics done, before getting bored and giving up entirely.

KyriakosCH

For me the main issue would be the map. It would (i suppose) have to be a very large pic, where you can scroll to different parts, eg the screen at each time being something like 800x600 something at least :)

And that is just for a set scenario (set map and starting cities).

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 21/03/2018 13:25:00
For me the main issue would be the map. It would (i suppose) have to be a very large pic, where you can scroll to different parts, eg the screen at each time being something like 800x600 something at least :)

It does not have to be a large pic, it may also be just a viewport-sized sprite where you will draw tiles and update them whenever player scrolls.
But in 2D engine like AGS the optimal method is hard to predict before you know all he game features, it would depend on many parameters.
For example, if you are going to support different map sizes, you may create several rooms with different background size, or you may have 1 room and use the method I mentioned above, that would universally work for any map size.
So, single large pic is probably best to start with, and change to something else if it causes perfomance or other issues at later stages.

morganw

One of the patches for Dustbowl was to fix issues with the map 'room' being too large, so the newer size (bottom of this post) is probably useful as a rough guide.

KyriakosCH

Thanks, game looks very stylish, btw :)

selmiak

if someone gets this to run on an 8bit computer like the C64, then it can also run in AGS...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxvugyJmE1s

KyriakosCH

Selmiak maybe you can help find a team of modders interested in a strategy game, so i can supply some of the gfx? (nod)

Anyway, some wip of the medieval western euro. Apart from the Donjon (french fort/castle centerpiece) which i half-decently modelled, the rest of the stuff in this set are really very poorly "modelled" and mostly faked, but in this size it possibly won't matter (laugh)

KyriakosCH

I will have to replace the other generic buildings with something a little better. The cathedral isn't finished either.

KyriakosCH

:)

(new, french) Set is virtually complete. Wall (and minor details) left.

I think it looks very nice now.

KyriakosCH

Danvzare

I like them a lot. (nod)
The bottom set seems a bit more detailed than the others. You can definitely see how much you've been improving.

Mandle

Amazing stuff! But could you post with imgzoom so we can take a cozy, close-up look?

KyriakosCH

Thank you both :)

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 11/05/2018 23:36:19
Amazing stuff! But could you post with imgzoom so we can take a cozy, close-up look?

Ok:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/JuVqLPt.png[/imgzoom]

cat

Looking really great! Now you should start making terrain tiles :)

KyriakosCH

Quote from: cat on Sat 12/05/2018 16:16:56
Looking really great! Now you should start making terrain tiles :)

Would be a reason to do if there was anyone meaning to script for a strategy game (nod)

KyriakosCH

Been a while...

My medieval japanese set, atm:
Not entirely finished, but getting there:

cat

The big pyramid thing looks more south-american than japanese. Try a google image search for "japanese castle".
The other building and the pagoda look pretty good.

KyriakosCH

That is true, but it is based on an actual (albeit very boring) japanese castle.

Yet i made some building changes:

KyriakosCH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk