Tales of a Spacer

Started by Axelord1942, Thu 08/02/2018 02:53:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Axelord1942

Hey all, just wanted to drop my pebble in the pond here.  This is my fourth project on AGS, the last three were back in 2009 or 10.  Still getting reacquainted!

Anyhow, Tales of a Spacer is a pretty simple concept.  Explore space, trade cargo and (if you feel like it) find the root of the story's plot!

The focus will be less on narrative and more on player choice, no forcing an arbitrary plot down anyone's throats.  After introducing the player to the game's systems and mechanics it will be largely be left up to the player where they go and what they do.  Now, this is more or less true for most games, so the plan is to reward that initiative.  Planned features include:

-The ability to set up a space station in orbit around a small roster of planets, upgradeable modules will allow the player to handle certain affairs from home that they would otherwise have to venture out for.  This will include services such as shops, repair bays and a few more ideas I'm toying with.

-Same as above, but on a small roster of select planets and it's an outpost instead.

-Small roster of purchasable ships/cockpits, as well as a few upgrades for each.

-Turn-based combat (if i can nail the coding down!)

-Planet exploration, away teams, organic quests on planets (Star-Trek style, ever wanted to save a green princess?)

Tech Stuff: AGS 3.4.1
            600x480/16-bit
            LW BASS interface

Included are some screenshots. Take a peek! Currently I'm designing some cockpits from scratch so I slapped one together using a template from Wing Commander 2 for testing in the meantime.

If anyone ever wants to play-test a build, let me know!  I'll try to post an update if anything significant happens! 

You have been eaten by a Gru

TheFrighter

Seems very good Axelord1942!

Quote from: Axelord1942 on Thu 08/02/2018 02:53:39
This is my fourth project on AGS, the last three were back in 2009 or 10.  Still getting reacquainted!
Where we can find your games?

_

CaptainD

Love this idea, seems an extremely ambitious project so hope development goes well!!

Cassiebsg

Seems interesting and I just love space! Good luck! (nod)

Also, I would like to urge you to "upgrade" the game from 16-bit to 32-bit. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Axelord1942

Quote from: TheFrighther on Thu 08/02/2018 08:28:33

Seems very good Axelord1942!

Quote from: Axelord1942 on Thu 08/02/2018 02:53:39
This is my fourth project on AGS, the last three were back in 2009 or 10.  Still getting reacquainted!
Where we can find your games?

Nowhere, unfortunate;y!  Two of them were lost when my motherboard failed all those years ago and the other I got beaten to the punch.  Someone released a game almost exactly like the one I was working on and it took the wind out of my sails for a while.  This is also the first time I ever bothered to post about what I was working on!

This game is more or less a reimagining of that concept, but with more of an Elite type feel.  The original project was heavily influenced by the sci-fi/dark comedy of shows like Red Dwarf and movies like Dark Star.  The plot was about a lone engineer who woke up after an undetermined amount of time in stasis and he is the last crewmember on the ship.  As the game went on he would discover that the majority of life in the Universe has died off and he is more or less alone.  It was dark, mean and bleak and I regret ever scrapping the project.

But!  Years have passed, and I'm feeling froggy again.

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 08/02/2018 09:27:48
Love this idea, seems an extremely ambitious project so hope development goes well!!

You and me both!  I always had two visions with adventure games:  to make an amazing Quest for Glory clone (damn you, Heroine's Quest!  What an outstanding game!) and to make a game that had the spirit of the Space Quest series but with a more fully realized game world and more freedom of choice.  Sierra games, bless their heart, never really rewarded the player for exploring (Oh, you want to see what's on the next screen before you do X?  Get sliced into a million pieces!) and I always felt it was an oversight, although I understand why they made them the way they did.

Won't stop me from trying to up the ante!

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 08/02/2018 16:44:28
Seems interesting and I just love space! Good luck! (nod)

Also, I would like to urge you to "upgrade" the game from 16-bit to 32-bit. ;)

It was an oversight while I was setting up the game, I hadn't even noticed until I wrote in on the post. :~(

Never had to do this before, what kind of a pain in the arse is it going to be? Am I going to have to redraw all my sprites?  Because that sounds absolutely demoralizing.

Space and sci-fi are unbeatable when it comes to worldbuilding, you can do almost anything you want! 

Cassiebsg

No, you won't need to redraw any sprites.
Just change it on the settings. The max that might happen is you having to re-import the sprites (which takes a few seconds/minutes, since you can just choose: re-import from source) and BGs (as long as the res and file name is the same this it'll be painless also, as it won't clear any walkareas or stuff you hae have already "painted"). The best is that you gain alpha and have less risk that a Graphic won't support 16bit (and thus your game won't work). ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

TheFrighter

Somehow this game remind me this old classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHBRVlH8ApY

Axelord1942

Quote from: TheFrighther on Fri 09/02/2018 09:02:46
Somehow this game remind me this old classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHBRVlH8ApY

I've never heard of the INCA games. I feel like I missed something beautiful. I'm watching the video now, this game is absolutely bonkers.  What the hell is this even.

That being said, this is kind of incredible in all the best/worst ways.  Maybe when I finally start learning another engine to build in I'll have a fancy 3d space to fly around in.

And I promise my voice acting is miles better than this. 

Two Tales

Uh-oh... I'm currently working on something that sounds scarily similar to this. In one way that makes it very interesting in another way slightly worrying.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Two Tales on Fri 09/02/2018 19:53:37
Uh-oh... I'm currently working on something that sounds scarily similar to this. In one way that makes it very interesting in another way slightly worrying.
Add some flying monkeys and it will be very different!(laugh)

_

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk