*UPDATED* Main Character (damn this board is repetitive)

Started by Archangel (aka SoupDragon), Sun 20/04/2003 18:28:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Ok, you know the drill. He's an office worker, he's my main character, he's low res, he's only the second character sprite I've ever drawn (and, for that matter, only the second full body person I've ever drawn), so a lot of criticism please :) I would especially like to know how it would be possible to make him more... attractive? After all, he's got to fall in love and stuff.

This image is 5x normal size

remixor

Hope you don't mind me doing that, it made it a bit easier to inspect  :)

I think it's great!  He seems very natural.  If you don't mind me asking, how did you do this?  From a scanned image, just on the PC?

EDIT: ok, looks like you got the same idea to post the image 1x size too
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

If you had linked to the png instead of the jpg then it would have worked fine :P

edit: and yes it was 100% pure computer pixel-pushing :D

remixor

lol, sorry about that.  Ok, forget what I said, all fixed now!
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Hollister Man

I would make his eyes dark, possibly black.  If you have ever seen Indy:FOA you would seewhat I mean.  He looks posessed right now.
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

Black looked even more posessed, so I settled for the compromise you can see above. What do you think?

Evil

more relaxed... why is it i can edit pictures but i cant draw them... hm...

Jimi

I prefer evil's version, because his trousers no longer cling to his ankles.

Bloody double post and no delete button >_<

Thanks evil - I edited what you did slightly and re-uploaded it. My original legs were a bit of a rush job anyway *^_^*

Heh somehow managed to get the other three views done in record time; open to crit!

Hollister Man

Top notch!  The sides look good to me, but maybe he could use a little more shading, or something.  I think the compromise is good, kinda halfway like the old sierra games, where the characters didn't have eyes at all, just shading to look darker.  
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

Snake

I figured I'd give it a go:

Now your character's got a bit of the Snake-style in him!

HOOHAR!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Scummbuddy

On the side views, his chest, to me, seems a bit pushed out... if anything it should be the gut, but he seems like a trimmed guy, so id keep it a little flatter.  

But, really nice though.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Pulled the chest back one pixel, took away the macho chin, added some highlights to the back of his shoulders:

golan trevize x

(man it's been ages since I've posted on this forum, but I have been lurking!)

I actually really like this, archangel. It's a different look and I think it'll work well in an adventure game. The only thing that bugs me is the thin neck and fat head that you see in the front view. Maybe you could bring the collar up one pixel to limit that effect.

Thickened the neck, it looked wierd at first but it fits a lot better; also the shading now gives the impression of a chin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk