BACKGROUND BLITZ: Eerie - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by lorenzo, Thu 15/02/2018 20:12:14

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

EERIE

Images from: Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Carceri d'invenzione.

Your job is to draw an eerie, scary background. It can be anything you want, as long as it gives you (and the viewer) goosebumps: a haunted house, a ghost-infested castle, an abandoned asylum, a foggy cemetery, a dark and seedy alley, a frightening attic, or a dreadful public toilet (those things can be scary, when not properly cleaned). Or something else entirely, providing that it is scary!

Deadline: 5th of March 2018

Voting:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place? Is it scary/eerie enough? Would you pass the night alone in it? (if the answer is "yes", it needs to be scarier)

Good luck!

DBoyWheeler

Anyone getting the vibe of maybe even an H.P. Lovecraftian location?

Anyway, best of luck to others.  (I'd take part in it, but I want to focus on my MAGS entry.)

lorenzo

Sure, an eerie, half-sunken city (complete with non-Euclidean geometry and unimaginable monstrosities inside, naturally) would be a great location for a background!

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 16/02/2018 02:07:46
I'd take part in it, but I want to focus on my MAGS entry.
Well, the competition ends on the 5th of March, so maybe you'll be able to find time for both. ;) Good luck on your MAGS entry!

DBoyWheeler

Okay, I made a quick entry for this--my attempt at a Lovecraftian setting.

TheFrighter

Ehi, it's the Emerald City by night!(laugh)

_

morganw

Hopefully this qualifies for something...

lorenzo

DBoyWheeler: I love the contrast between the dark sky and the green city! I wouldn't want to find myself alone on that island at night (or even during the day (laugh)).

morganw: cool background, it looks ready for an adventure game! The black and white (with a splatter of red) is very atmospheric.

Cassiebsg

I made a sketch... not sure I'll do anything more to it though... might try and make it as a 3D model though. (laugh)
Spoiler

[close]
PS - Thanks for the inspiration morganw. ;)

EDIT: Uhm... does it even fit the theme?? I know I had fun doing it at least, but scary? Probably not... confusing and weird, most likely. (wtf)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

lorenzo

Interesting sketch Cassiebsg, that place is trippy! (laugh)

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 25/02/2018 01:00:22
Uhm... does it even fit the theme?? I know I had fun doing it at least, but scary? Probably not...
I wouldn't say that it does necessarily have to be scary. It can be unsettling, eerie, unearthly... You can feel there's something wrong with the picture, even if it's not scary.
I hope that makes sense. :)

Glenjamin

Great topic, I was inspired from start to finish. (nod)

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/YuoQxg1.png[/imgzoom]

DBoyWheeler: I really like your concept and framing. Having a huge winding bridge lead to an isolated city seems like a great way to kick off an adventure.

morganw: This one makes me think in a lot of good ways. Lots of mystery... What are those three structures in the back I wonder.

Cassiebsg: The thought of this as a 3D model makes my head spin. Cant wait to see it if you decide to do it.  (laugh)

Cassiebsg

I am doing it. (nod)
the basic model is done and it now just needs some detailing and texturing... and then figuring out how to light the scene. ;)

Gurok

Yeesh, Glenjamin. That's very unsettling.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

lorenzo

Glenjamin: I'm glad you liked the theme! Your entry is very creepy, with many details you don't notice at first glance. The image tells quite a story... and it's probably not a pleasant tale! ;)

Cassiebsg: Can't wait to see your finished entry!

Matti

Some eerie forest:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/JwHLD5b.png[/imgzoom]

I wanted to do pure pixel art, but then I thought the fog would be a nice touch ;)

lorenzo

That's a very atmospheric scene, Matti! I love the creatures lurking in the background, quite eerie.
And I agree, the fog is a nice touch!

Mandle

Reminds me of the movie "The Mist"

Cassiebsg

Guess it could use better scene lighting... but I suck at that... and don't feel like working on this any more.

Mandle

Cassie... it looks amazing! It's Mr. Escher's house!

And yeah, the lighting is a little flat so it's hard to see that the path goes off into the distance.

Maybe you could put some lamps/burning torches along the path to show it off a bit more? And a light or two in one of the buildings casting a warm glow outside through the doors/windows might work?

lorenzo

Great background Cassiebsg! Nice to see how the scene evolved from the initial sketch. I would love to see characters walking in it!

Cassiebsg

Thanks... :)
@Mandle, yes more detail and better lighting would make it tons better. But don't have the time and I'm not going to use it for a game, so...

@lorenzo: Sure...
Spoiler

Of course the character would need to be upside down after he walks behind the house. ;) But that required more than 5 min work. (roll)

[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk