Writing software recommendation

Started by Yitcomics, Sun 18/02/2018 16:48:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Yitcomics

At the moment I'm using the Twine editor to write and plan my Adventure game:

(This is just an example I made quickly, not the screenshot of my real work)

But it's very limited since I can't color the boxes, change the font etc. I tried searching for another software similar to it, but can't seem to find one. Do guys have any recommendation of another software, where I can organize my writing in a flowchart style?

eri0o

This is Twine 1? I am testing the most recent Twine (I think 2.2 something?). I saw people using Google Spreadsheet for planning, with passages being made inside cells.

My actual game is being made in a mix of pen and paper, libreoffice, google docs and mspaint. I try to use dialogs in AGS for dialogs and cutscenes.

Yitcomics

Quote from: eri0o on Thu 22/02/2018 12:36:05
This is Twine 1? I am testing the most recent Twine (I think 2.2 something?).

Yeah, I didn't like the way Twine 2 looks and feel, so I just use the previous version since it does the job anyway.

Yitcomics

Since no one else reply I guess such a software doesn't exist, looks like I'm stuck with Twine  :-\. I do use Microsoft Words to write long cutscenes though.

morganw

Maybe it could work with mind mapping software, like Freeplane or FreeMind?

Pilchard

Have you had a look at Scapple? It seems ideal for this.

It's not free, but you do get a 30-day trial to see if it's for you. I can't vouch for it myself, but I am using their other software Scrivener for a writing project, and that's an extremely polished and versatile piece of software.

eri0o

I have used scrivener in the past, but I later discovered Google Docs was easier because it has apps that work everywhere.

Danvzare

I personally just use Microsoft Word. When writing down a design document, it's important to be both succinct and linear (even if what you're making is non-linear), so it's easy to read and understand. At least, that's what I took away from my degree, and also when I viewed actual game design documents.

As an example, here's a page from my design document for Black Friday II (in spoilers because it reveals puzzle solutions and plot points):
Spoiler
[close]
Of course I supplemented that with some pictures like a puzzle dependency chart made with yEd, as well as a room layout chart made in Umlet. And I also included some lists, like a list of all of the items and their respective uses, a list of all of the characters, ect.

Something like that Twine editor looks like it would take twice as long to comprehend than it realistically should. And I'd hate to use something like that, get far into development, take a break for a couple of years, and then come back to it.  :-\

Then again, I make most of my games by just keeping everything in my head, and just making the occasional note to reminds myself of something important. (Which is how I'm currently making my most recent game which I have yet to announce.) So perhaps I'm not one to judge since I've only ever used a proper design document once, and such design documents are really more befitting to team projects. (It was an absolute joy to use though, even though it did take me ages to write it all out.)

Still my recommendation would be to try out good old Microsoft Word. Considering eri0o has suggested Google Docs, it seems like I'm not the only one in preferring the simplest solution.  :-D

Ionias

Have you tried WPS Office? It's what I use and it's pretty nice. If you want the advanced feature's you'll have to pay though. I currently only use the freeware version and it suits me just fine. Goggle it and give it a try.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk