Perfect Tides

Started by granulac, Mon 19/02/2018 19:23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

granulac

Hi all, I've been lurking a while accumulating AGS knowledge (thanks for the wealth of it so far!), and I wanted to finally post and show you my game.

Perfect Tides
Perfect Tides is an adventure game in the classic Sierra style about the fun and anguish of being a teen. It's a very personal project for me, and my first game after a decade of working almost exclusively in comics. My little teaser blurb:

Story:
You're trapped on an island. Well… actually, you live there. Your food and socks and family are there. You have a virus-free computer and a 56k modem. And with gorgeous rolling dunes, free-roaming deer and no cars in sight, the landscape is basically paradise.

But it's not all it's cracked up to be. Three seasons out of the year, the island is practically abandoned. And with school going badly on the mainland, sometimes the internet is your only company. Not that you've minded, lately: your online life is taking you to wild new places. You feel acceptance, creative empowerment… and for the first time, something very close to how you imagined love would be.

The seasons carry you mercilessly, from one revelation to another. As summer approaches, the island pulsates with nervous anticipation, and so do you. Your life is about to change in irreversible ways â€" in undreamed-of directions. You may soon discover what lies beyond the island, and perhaps more mysteriously, in the depths of your own heart. What are you looking to know?

Gameplay example:

Cutscene example:

Teaser trailer:
https://vimeo.com/251864057

I'm also running a Kickstarter campaign to fund the game. As of today (2/19) there are 8 days left to go, but I'm happy to say the game has already been fully funded and is in production!
http://kickstarter.com/projects/465155699/perfect-tides/

Development Progress:

Story: 70%
Scripting: 50%
Puzzles: 40%
Graphics: 70%
Sound/Music: 10%

Clearly, we are in early days! Expected completion date: December 2019

Team:

I'm Meredith Gran, the writer, director, animator, and (for now) lead programmer on this project. The environments are being drawn by animator Soren Hughes. I expect this team to expand but we're doing it all right now.

Thanks for checking it out! Looking forward to having more updates soon.

Cassiebsg

This looks awesome!
Good luck with the project.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

LimboJimbo84

This looks really interesting, I like the feel of the teaser trailer, I got good vibes from it :smiley: best of luck with the project

SarahLiz

Wowâ€"looks and sounds like a neat (for lack of a better word) game you're working on!  The graphics are my absolute favorite sortâ€"-retro & colorful.  Good luck to you as you progress in making/creating your game, and I REALLY look forward to trying it out.  In fact, I contributed a bit to the Kickstarter, I like the look of it so much.  ;)  Who can forget those crazy, angst-ridden teenage years??

Quick questionâ€"-how long do you intend the game to be?  I assume a full-length size, right?

FireFlower

Looks and sounds interesting. Reminds me a bit of Willy Beamish (and that's a good thing). :)
Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

BrainMayhem

It looks very interesting, will definitely play it :D

CrashPL

I'll certainly keep my eye on this one, looks very promising, with great visuals. :D Best of luck with the production!

Blondbraid

dactylopus

The atmosphere here is fantastic.  The music really helps, but overall there is a very nostalgic feeling about the entire thing.  I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

ThreeOhFour

Privateer Puddin'

KyriakosCH

Looks very nice :) If i had money i would support. Good luck with the campaign!
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Andail

Wow, congratulations on a very successful crowd funding campaign!

The game looks cute and original, quite a unique atmosphere :)

Riaise

This looks really interesting, and the graphics are great! ;-D

BadLuckBurt

Congratulations, this looks gorgeous and the premise sounds interesting too. The explicit mention of a modem makes me have to ask, will it scream? :P In any case, looking forward to this so best of luck :)

Pilchard

Wow, congratulations on smashing the Kickstarter target!

I really like the art style, the setting and the concept. Looking forward to seeing it take shape.

Dave Gilbert

Congrats on the success! Also: it's nice to see another Long-Islander-now-living-in-Brooklyn-who-is-also-making-adventure-games type person. Represent!

selmiak

Wow, this looks nice! Congrats on the funding! Now have fun producing it :)

granulac

Thank you all for the kind and supportive replies! It's been over a year (!!!) and I just wanted to post an update. The game is still in production and I just released the first official trailer! It can be viewed here:

https://vimeo.com/357937874

Here's my new completion estimate:

Story: 70%
Scripting: 50%
Puzzles: 40%
Graphics: 70%
Sound/Music: 10%

Things have gone slower than I would've liked (originally slated for 2019) but considering how much non-game time I spend with my 1-year-old son, I can't complain. I just wrapped up the "Summer" story, the 2nd and longest act in the game. On to Fall and Winter - fingers crossed to be playtesting it by this time next year!

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk