I HATE my dad

Started by Jimi, Sun 20/04/2003 20:44:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Femme Stab Mode >:D

My dad never answers questions in a straightforward manner. My dad gets pissed off and moody about trivial things. However, my dad was the one who got me into HTML and gives me webspace when I need it or even when other people I know need it. He goes out of his way to write certain php scripst for me. If I was you, I would be grateful that your father watches you play. My dad doesn't really care about what I achieve. I have a pile of certificates of exelence in different things tucked away somewhere and he doesn't know because he doesn't want to know.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Jimi

I gues, but he doesn't get me interested in anything. I learned HTML because I wanted to make my own site, And I am learning C because I am interested by it. He doesn't actually care about the stuff I do on my PC. All he ever goes on about is my guitar. eg...."Have you been on your guitar today?", "Are you going on your guitar?", "Can you play [SONG NAME HERE for me?" (that last one is usually asked about the same song every other day!). If the answer to any of these is no, he goes in a strop, and really pisses me off!

Dmitri

Hate is a very powerful word to use Jimi, and I don't like the way it's mis used, I know I'm guilty of throwing hate around, it's just that our culture can't seem to distinguish between hate and anger.

I think anyone here can prove that you don't HATE your father, it would only take one measly little example to disprove it. Our pathetic language should have a better word for the meaning you want, with the power of emotion but without pure and simple inexplicable odium (hate in general, specifically that which is projected to a group), but it doesn't.

As for the problem you think your having with your father 'not getting you interested in things', well, what do you expect of him? What do you want him to do? Like you he will only do that which interests him, unless he's forced in order to make someone else happy. Maybe he wants you to take an interest in what he's doing... Maybe he likes your music and doesn't know how to encourage you properly because he hasn't had enough quality time with you. Do something with your dad man, get to know the man better and you might get along better.

personally the only reason I have a good relationship with my father is because we're both interested in the same things... which was simply circumstance (and genetics). He gets me interested in things because he's interested and I like him as a person, not just a dad, so I'm willing to try the things he suggests.

Pretzels :B

I think you've just got a bad case of tantrums. I hate my mum from time to time.
<psychiatric crap>
when a male reaches certain age and does certain duties normaly done by the dominant male in the household (eg. mowing the lawn) such actions can be seen as threatning by the dominant male and the yougner male is expected to move out at that stage.
</psychiatric crap>
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Pumaman

90% of kids act like Kevin The Teenager during their teenage years. It's cool to diss your parents and so forth, and of course they'll do things that piss you off from time to time - everybody does.

But to really hate them, they'd have to do something like what rode or evil were describing.

Jimi

Yeah, I know..... He just pisses me off. I just like to be on my own and do my own things rather than what my parents tell me do. Like when we were at the shopping center (mall for americans  :) ), I just wanted to go off, and have a look at all of the games and pc's etc. Not twaddle around with my parents and look at shoe stores.  :P

Alkaline in California

I'm invulnerable from being teased right now...
I just found the front page of the Boston Globe for a day in 1969, showing clearly my dad, at Woodstock, with sideburns and ww1 helmet. I think it's september 18th, for all the other people in the world with a copy of that particular paper (both of them) ::)

scotch

My Dad is mentally ill.. he does insane stuff and really depressed my mother and left.. and lost the house and car and stuff so we were homeless.  He's usually either depressed or crazy, he wastes all his money.  He's never been interested in what I do and disappears for months at a time.
I like him.. he doesn't mean to hurt people, he can be ok, I certainly don't hate him.  Maybe I'm just not a real teenager :'(
Parents have annoying habits, but they usually look after you and deserve more respect, they're not going to be perfect.  It's not like they're abusing you.

Raggit

Jimi, I can understand what you mean.  

I feel that most parents don't want their kids to hate them. Sometimes they forget that you grow up.  Becuase kids go through so many changes in their teen years it can be hard for both parties to adapt to the new changes.  

Most people are telling you not to hate your dad. And you shouldn't, not for the reasons you described originally. My dad teases me and sometimes and stuff but I don't mind becuase he wouldn't really want to hurt me.  I'm sure your father doesn't really intend to hurt you with teasing.  
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Jimi

You've made the most sence! thanks!

Rincewind

I agree with the others, Jimi:
Hating someone is to really despise someone so much you could... Well, do really nasty things to the person.
But being irritated by someone is different - I'm almost constantly irritated on my dad, but sometimes he is really nice, and we have a good time.

He mostly nags on me, and tells me that I listen to crappy music, that you can't hear what they sing, and that there's no melody, etc...
What he hasn't quite understand is that it was his Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath-records that made me going for heavier stuff, and that I still listen to those bands frequently, too... ;D  
He also rejects the idea of computers all together, and sees Internet as his worst enemy... (Well, it's understandable - He pays my internet bills...)
And sometimes he can have some(In my opinion) quite stupid and prejudice political views, but that's nothing I can change.

Otherwise he is actually doing his best, and it was actually he who tought me to like Monty Python! Hehe...

So - Jimi, I know how you feel, but don't hate your dad unless he is planning to kill you in your sleep or something.  ::)

Quickstrike

My dad is like a friend to me, we tell jokes, we talk, we watch CNBC and make fun of things, like the fact that Americans, when in another country with a different language, yell in English and talk slowly using generic hand gestures, like everyone is deaf and stupid.  Sure, he gets kind of on your nerves, since he sleeps during the day and works at night (he's a writer), but I am up a midnight, so we get to spend some time together.
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

remixor

Quote from: Alkaline in California on Mon 21/04/2003 17:46:38
I just found the front page of the Boston Globe for a day in 1969, showing clearly my dad, at Woodstock, with sideburns and ww1 helmet. I think it's september 18th, for all the other people in the world with a copy of that particular paper (both of them) ::)

That is awesome.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

My dad searches for a job all day on the internet(The company he used to work for collapsed) and therefore I only get acess to the internet at night, so I've become fully nocturnal. I wake up at midday or 1 o'clock and go to bed at 3 or 4, and that's all my dad's fault >:(! However, I don't blame him, because he also works from home by day, and I help him. He made itkid, I manage it.  He makes search engines- I give him my honest opinion and correct his spelling and gramar ( however I don't think I'm the best for that job).
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Andail

I agree with Helm and Rodekill...and scotch...and some more...

We can sit here all day listen to people saying stereotyped things like
"Hate is such a strong word"..."it can be tough sometimes"..."I bet your dad really loves you and would like to bake a big cake for you"...

People mostly say those things to set up some image of themselves being understanding and considerate. To be honest, I don't think anybody really feels sorry for you, Jimi, for the one reason that you didn't express anything in this thread worth pitying.
When I do practice-work for my education, I see lots of teenagers that are so damaged and mentally demolished because of their family or social situation, and when I come to this board, I would feel like a hypocrit if I forced myself to say that I felt sympathy for what I read in threads like this one.

I know I had this discussion with Eric, but I will stick to my previous standpoint: Your problems are nothing in comparison to what most members of this community have to deal with daily, or any teenager out there. Be happy with what you've got, growing up is tough, but you still need to see things with a bit of perspective.

So, enough gut-spilling and self-pitying now.

Well put. I agree.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

jannar85

I think it's nice, but if you don't like it, tell him it.
He'll probably understand.
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Helm

Finally, a post that makes sense, besides rodes.
WINTERKILL

Jimi

I hate to be a spoilt sport, but I agreed with all of the others quite a few posts back. Thanks anyway.

rodekill

I want to clarify something at the same time.
I also agree with Eric in the sense that, if something is happening to you, then it's your priority and may seem more important to you than others may perceive it, which I feel is perfectly valid.
However, I think that it's important to sit back and try to consider what's going on from a non emotional and logical point of view.
I mean, if your parents forbid you from something, then it's still ok to be mad at them, but you have to try to see it for what it is. In other words, not the end of the world, and probably not as big of a deal as you originally thought.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk